Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:36:12 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So What Do You Think . . . ? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So What Do You Think . . . ?  (Read 2063 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 27, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »

I was visiting the local Temple of Consumerism to pay my respects to the Gods of Corporate Capitalism (aka "going to WalMart") the other day when I saw a car in the parking lot with a bumper sticker that read as follows: "F*** CENSORSHIP".   Except, of course, the F-bomb was NOT censored on the sticker.  My gut level reaction was something along the lines of "Yeah, and while we're at it, screw good manners and public decorum, too!!"  I mean, I do get the idea - in  a free society, censorship can be an oppressive and evil thing.  But at the same time, whatever happened to plain old good manners and common sense?

And that is the heart of the moral dilemma that this two word bumper sticker presented me with.  On the one hand, I am a big First Amendment guy.  If rude and unpopular speech is NOT protected, then does our society really have "Free Speech" at all?  That's one reason so-called "Hate Speech" laws get me very antsy.  After all, who defines what "hate" is?  But then, on the other hand, as a conservative Christian, I am frankly offended when anybody, be it Gilbert Gottfried or Dick Cheney, goes dropping the F-bomb in a public venue where children can hear it. Or when patently adult pictures or subject matter are displayed in the public venue.  Shouldn't our freedoms and liberties as adults be handled with a certain amount of social and civic responsibility that takes the sensitivities of other citizens into account?  And where should that line be drawn?  How can parents protect their children from things that they find deeply offensive if those things are thrown down in the public arena without warning.

Not trying to start any kind of flame war or liberal versus conservative thing here.  Just curious what other people's opinions are.  Where do you stand on this issue?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:48:39 PM »

Sounds more like someone just trying to be a a**hole then actually being concerned about censorship.

Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »

I consider Larry Flynt a virtual litmus test for pushing the envelope of the 1st Amendment. Yes, at times he was simply thumbing his nose at the establishment, but at others there was a clear agenda involved that was important to establish. The man had some serious balls. Like when he was being given time in jail for contempt during one of his trials and saying to the judge, "Is that the best you got?" I wouldn't call him a hero, but I do appreciate his courage.

I don't go out of my way to shelter my kids from things, but I would like a reasonable expectation that they're not going to be exposed to lots of profanity when they step out the door every day. One of the reasons I believe so adamantly about property rights is that this is where the freedom of the individual is best protected. What goes on out in public is a little difficult to control. Sure, there are little things the law can do, like to not allow the f-bomb on bumper stickers, issues fines, etc. I would not really be too opposed to that.

The problem with it is that good old matter of the differences in what offends people. Do we prohibit the f-word to be displayed on bumper stickers? Do we prohibit same-sex couples from public displays of affection? How far is too far for a billboard when it comes to sexual suggestiveness? And on and on it goes.

I control what goes on in my home. I can't do much about what goes on in the WalMart parking lot.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »

I generally subscribe to Edmund Burke's idea that we are qualified for civil liberty in direct proportion to our ability to control ourselves.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »

Okay, this is just my opinion.  I don't like the idea of censorship.  I think that people SHOULD be able to say what they want to without being censored or controlled.

That being said, there is a time and a place for swearing and the F-bomb.  I don't think they should automatically rate a movie R for having more than two F-bombs, but I also don't think that you should take a kid to a PG-13 or R rated movie either.  What I'm trying to say is that swearing shouldn't be censored, but you still shouldn't go around with a bumper sticker or a T-shirt with a swear word on it.  To me, that's the same as going up to a little kid and saying the swear word right to them (which I have seen happen).

Oh, and for the record, I swear, like a sailor. Wink
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:00:50 PM »

...whatever happened to plain old good manners and common sense?
The philosophizing I can do without, that's why your quote is edited.  I didn't read it and I don't need to.  
That is what FREE SPEECH is all about.  We are not talking about NOISE POLLUTION are we?  You said it all with this one remark.  And that IS all.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:00:05 AM »

What language you use is your choice. If you offend someone by dropping an F-Bomb you're the one who made a bad choice. Also in terms of TV I like having some channels censored and other uncensored. If we have a pick of "Clean" and "Uncensored" channels bad language on TV won't be a problem. Also I like the idea of Unrated DVDs, It's a big sign saying "Watch at your own risk!"

As for this forum's censorship, I kinda like it. I can still say f**k, s**t, and a***ole but the stars cancel it out. As long as I express myself I don't care if it's censored, you get the message.

Fun Fact: I once saw a censored version of George Carlin's "The 7 Words You Can't Say On Television".

"****, *****, ********, ***, ********, ******, and ******** ******."
 BounceGiggle

dean

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 06:12:53 AM »

Ah, eff it, if everyone said it nobody would care.   Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »

I don't believe in censorship, outside of protecting my kids and I do that type.  I don't appreciate excessive profanity or even disrespectful language between people, even in fun.  But no outside body should decide what is printed or not.  People do need to THINK about what they say and how to say it, thats for f-ing sure  BounceGiggle

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So What Do You Think . . . ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.