Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:37 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Thoughts on the Wilhelm Scream « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Your Thoughts on the Wilhelm Scream  (Read 5445 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: June 27, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »

I'm sure many of you already know this, but the famous "Wilhelm scream" is a stock sound effect from the 1951 film Distant Drums, that has been used in well over 200 films, television shows and video games, which can be heard at the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WilhelmScream.ogg

We've all heard it. It's been used as almost an in-joke. George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Peter Jackson have all used it extensively.

Many people love the use of the Wilhelm scream, but me, I find it annoying. It doesn't bother me that there is a tongue-in-cheek usage of such a thing by filmmakers, just that the sound of the Wilhelm scream gets on my nerves.

Does anybody else get annoyed by the Wilhelm scream. I imagine it's probably just me.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
claws
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »

I wasn't aware of this. Might have heard it before in a movie and if I did it didn't bother me.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:11:45 AM »

I like when its subtle and you hardly notice it. Now when its obvious like in Indy 4, or the Two Towers it becomes annoying.

dean

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »

Unless its either subtle or a parody, I don't generally think it's worthwhile.  It just smacks of lazy editing to me.  That being said, it's one hell of a scream!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »

Kinda don't care for it yet don't care about it.  Its been used in some many films I've lost track which ones I've heard it in.  Toy Story comes to mind. I could never immitate that scream on my best day. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »

It doesn't bother me, but it sure catches my attention right away in almost any scene where it is used.  Doesn't take me out of the movie, but it distracts me for a second or two when it is used.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »

For a quick musical history of the Wilhelm Scream, listen to this!  TeddyR TongueOut

Small | Large

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »

I hate it and wish it would go away.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:37:45 PM »

I agree with InfoGeek.  It sometimes does distract me when it's used.  Even before I'd ever heard of the Wilhelm Scream, that one scene in Star Wars where the Stormtrooper falls and screams bugged me.  It just seemed so out of place.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »

I prefer this.
Small | Large

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »

This made me laugh, especially the Titanic sequence...
Small | Large

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 11:50:34 PM »

Funny the first time, hilarious the second, amusing the third, annoying the fourth, excruciatingly over-used the fifth, used to it by the sixth.

It was used 3 damned times in Lord of the Rings.

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 12:19:42 AM »

Funny the first time, hilarious the second, amusing the third, annoying the fourth, excruciatingly over-used the fifth, used to it by the sixth.

Thats not as bad as Star Wars. Which used it 7 times. (if you consider the holiday special is canon)

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »

I much prefer the "Howie Scream." Much more distinctive and memorable, I think. I have fond memories of it appearing in the opening credits of Aaah! Real Monsters, so now when I hear it in a serious, dramatic context, such as someone jumping to their death from a bridge or something, my mind just flash back to that old Nickelodeon cartoon for a half-second and I can't help but be amused by the juxtaposition. The "Wilhelm Scream," honestly, I don't pick up on as much. A lot of time I miss entirely, unless I'm particularly bored by a movie. The "Howie Scream" though never goes unnoticed for me.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »

Thats not as bad as Star Wars. Which used it 7 times. (if you consider the holiday special is canon)

No sir, I don't count the special as canon.... Or as a movie...

STIR-WHIP-STIR-WHIP-WHIP-WHIP-STIR-STIR-WHIP-STIR-WHIP-WHIP-STIR

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Thoughts on the Wilhelm Scream « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.