Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:10:11 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Author Topic: Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies  (Read 107686 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: June 27, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »

There seem to be a number of sites and articles out there that talk about plot holes and inconsistencies, particularly between Episodes IV-VI and the I-III prequels. I've always had a spot in my heart for the original trilogy, and can't stand, for the most part, the prequels. I've never bothered much about any inconsistencies with A New Hope, mainly because at the time it was being produced, there was a snowballs chance that there would ever be more than one movie.

I just recently started watching the original trilogy with my 3 1/2 year old son, who is getting hooked and asking to watch them again and again. Anyway, I noticed a plot inconsistency that I hadn't noticed before, and so far I haven't found any online articles about it.

It involved Return of the Jedi. In it, we see Luke reveal to Leia that she is his sister. Right before the revelation, he asks her if she remembers her mother. Leia relates that she has only very early memories where she is "beautiful, but sad." Luke, of course, has no recollection at all. This suggests pretty strongly that Luke was separated from his mother at birth, but that Leia at least spent enough time with her to have had some memory of her.

Yet, at the end of Revenge of the Sith, Padme is shown giving birth, naming them, and then immediately dying.

I personally despise the prequels and think they essentially took a huge dump on the original trilogy. I prefer to try not to even think about them.

What are some of the other plot holes between the two that get on your nerves?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
venomx
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »

In Episode II Attack of the Clones Anakin experienced haunting visions of his Mother being attacked by the Sand People BUT he was never there (it was just a vision) After finds that to be true, finds his Mother and he wipes out most of the Sand People in rage, so on...

Maybe thats what Leia was talking about. (maybe that was a vision of her Mother?)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »

Either that, or she was remembering Senator Organa's wife, her stepmother (she never knew she was adopted).

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »

In Episode II Attack of the Clones Anakin experienced haunting visions of his Mother being attacked by the Sand People BUT he was never there (it was just a vision) After finds that to be true, finds his Mother and he wipes out most of the Sand People in rage, so on...

Maybe thats what Leia was talking about. (maybe that was a vision of her Mother?)

Maybe. It just seems like a bit of a stretch. Besides, I prefer the notion that Leia had some sort of bond with her mother, even if it was short-lived. The prequels just kind of destroyed a lot of mystery of the original trilogy, and that's just one example.

Skull
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

Among all the plot holes... the most difficult for me to digest is C3-PO...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »

As far as the birth of Luke and Leia goes, I can overlook just about everything, except the downright stupid idea of Padme "losing her will to live." Besides it being a lame cause of death, and her character suddenly going all soft and useless from one movie to the next, what about her two newborn children? Would they not maybe restore some of her will to live? The idea that her husband's corruption has caused her to die essentially of a broken heart is bad enough, but I can't buy that it hopelessly trumps the bond between mother and children.

As for inconsistencies between old and new, there are a few lines of dialogue in the original that sound a little odd when compared to the history established later. Such as Ben talking about Uncle Owen's concern that Luke would "follow old Obi-Wan off on some damn-fool idealistic crusade like his father." Or his opinion that Anakin should have "stayed home and not gotten involved." That doesn't make much sense when Owen and Anakin became stepbrothers years after Anakin left Tattooine, and barely knew each other.

Now, when Uncle Owen talks about his concerns about Luke being like his father, they actually make more sense. But Obi-Wan's account of events doesn't fit, unless he was trying to avoid telling Luke any more about his father than necessary, and stuck somewhat to the fictional biography Luke had grown up with.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »

Now, when Uncle Owen talks about his concerns about Luke being like his father, they actually make more sense. But Obi-Wan's account of events doesn't fit, unless he was trying to avoid telling Luke any more about his father than necessary, and stuck somewhat to the fictional biography Luke had grown up with.

Everything Obi-Wan said was true...from a certain point of view.  Wink

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »

The prequels really are a fun ruiner. In the Originals the Jedi were these mythical people who you knew next to nothing about aside from they use something called the force and they have lightsabers.

Then in the prequels we learn they enjoy solving tax disputes, Have midiclohirens(Yeah I probably spelled that wrong, but i'm not in the mood to look it up), and are hilariously stupid when it comes to investigating things, and are completely oblivious to the lord of the Sith living right under their noses. They really do take away from the originals. I mean you can try to push them out of your head as much as you like, but you'll always know that Darth Vader built C-3P0.

venomx
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »

What I didn't like about Ep1 is WHY didn't Yoda or Mace pick up on young Anakin being evil right away! Like get rid of that thing! Kinda glad they did'nt though as I like Darth Vader the best...

Yoda: Finaly I did, but too late I was... Ehhhh, anyway.

The originals ARE the best I agree. I just didn't think Porken's was fit for that Xwing, thats' all...

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »

I forgot one of the inconsistencies that i'm surprised haven't been mentioned

"I seem to remember owning a droid"

No you didn't have one.

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »

What are you guys TALKING about? There aren't any plot inconsistencies between episodes 1-3 and 4-6. George Lucas had ALL this stuff planned out THE WHOLE TIME, right from the beginning.

Wink

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »

Either that, or she was remembering Senator Organa's wife, her stepmother (she never knew she was adopted).
Yep...maybe the senator's wife was very very sad.  

Plot loopholes in Star Wars........don't get me started.   I will say you can pretty much scrap all of the dialog between Obi Wan and Luke based on the prequels.  One of the top things that bothered me was Obi Wan saying something about he thought he could train Anakin better than Yoda.  I was always under the impression Vader was trained in private by Obiwan unknown to Yoda based on that statement.  Then we find out through the prequels that Yoda plays hardly a role in training Jedi, rather he leaves it up to the help.  Matter of fact Yoda seems to sit on his green @ss more than anything in the prequels.  

Another big part of the dialog that is lost in the prequels is Obiwan telling Luke that Vader hunted down and exterminated the remaining Jedi.   It seems to me all Vader did was kill a bunch of kids in the Jedi temple.  Much of the big names were taken out by Palpatine and the Clone Troopers.  

And yes...Vader building 3PO is just plain stupid.  You have to figure when he saw him in Bespin he would have confiscated him to try to at least try to read his memory. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:09:01 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
dean

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 06:10:26 AM »

As far as the birth of Luke and Leia goes, I can overlook just about everything, except the downright stupid idea of Padme "losing her will to live." Besides it being a lame cause of death, and her character suddenly going all soft and useless from one movie to the next, what about her two newborn children? Would they not maybe restore some of her will to live? The idea that her husband's corruption has caused her to die essentially of a broken heart is bad enough, but I can't buy that it hopelessly trumps the bond between mother and children.

I like the Dr Ball character in the Robot Chicken Star Wars who mocks that very notion.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »

I made the enormous mistake of buying the 2004 release of the original trilogy that was enhanced to tie in with the prequels. What can I say? I didn't realize what I was buying at the time. The only one I can stomach is Empire because it is the least altered. Return of the Jedi is hideous. The complete reconfiguring of the band scene at Jabba's Palace is atrocious, and sticking Hayden Christensen (sic?) in at the end to show Anakin's spirit was unforgiveable.

I saw that there is a special edition of the original trilogy that contains both the 2004 abortion and the originals, completely unaltered. I must pick that up because I can't take the altered versions except for Empire.

Cthulhu

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »

Remeber, when you think about the prequels:Don't.
Let's just pretend they never happened.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.