Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:15:47 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  recommend bob some movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: recommend bob some movies  (Read 7423 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: June 29, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »

Lately I've been watching movies that are related to 2 books I'm writing I need a break from those films. While they're fun to watch it's starting to feel like a job like taking super long notes and rewatching them twice, things like that.

So here are my favorite films by catagory to give an idea of what I like. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Comedies:
Happy Gilmore (1996)
Ed Wood (1994)
Clerks (1994)
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
Ground Hog Day (1993)
Trading Places (1983)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Duck Soup (1933)

Action/Adventure:
The Expendables (2010)
The Wrestler (2008)
Predator (1987)
Highlander (1986)

Drama:
Rocky 2 (1979)
Rocky (1976)
The Godfather Part 2 (1974)
The Godfather (1972)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Ikuru (1952)
Casablanca (1942)

Epic:
Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope (1977)

Crime:
City of God (2002)
Ocean’s Eleven (2001)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Goodfellas (1990)

Adaptations:
The Dark Knight (2008)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Pianist (2002)
Fight Club (1999)
Mortal Kombat (1995)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Vertigo (1958)

Science Fiction:
Inception (2010)
The Matrix (1999)

Horror:
The Omen (1976)
Dracula (1932)

Thriller:
The Prestige (2006)
Rear Window (1954)

The best of the bad:
BloodRayne (2005)
The Room (2003)
Troll 2 (1990)
Bad Taste (1987)
Hobgoblins (1982)
Plan 9 From Outer Space (1969)
Godzilla’s Revenge (1969)
Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)
The Creeping Terror (1964)
Eegah! (1962)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:02:36 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »

As I know you're a fellow wrestling fan, you'd probably enjoy:

The Wrestler (1974) - total kayfabe wrestling movie btw., largely silly but has some good moments here and there and Ed Asner whom well I like.

Grunt! The Wrestling Movie - hilariously bad but has some really entertaining wrestling segments, more comedic than serious though.

Blood & Guts (1978)- not a great film but arguably more realistic than most. Kinda dull and drags though.

Body Slam - cheesy but 80s fun. A little tough slugging at times though.

The One and Only - kinda cheesy especially since it features Henry Winkler as a wrestler but surprisingly I kind of liked it myself.

I Like To Hurt People - great glimpse at 70s style wrestling featuring the legendary original Shiek.

If you like ladies wrestling, you should check out:

...All the Marbles
Below the Belt
American Angels: Baptism of Blood

All surprisingly good and entertaining IMO although the last one's more a bad movie type goodness.

Based on what you already listed,

Rocky III (honestly I love all the Rocky films myself)
The Jerk (Steve Martin's best IMO)
The Maltese Falcon (Bogart at his best)
Teenagers From Outer Space (a bad movie must!)
Night and the City (1950) (wrestling actually figures into this one too but it's more a film noir about the fall of a man)
The Calimari Wrestler - every bad movie/wrestling fan ought to see this
Bad Guys (1986) - another very cheesy 80s film that factors pro wrestling into its unlikely plot.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »

Based off what you listed:
Reservoir Dogs- actiony flick crime drama
Dogma- jay and silent bob help on a mission from God
Law Abiding Citizen
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a decent adaption of the comic.

Theres more I can think of tomorrow

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Skull
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »

I'm going to try to post movies that I believe you may not seen and might enjoy...

Comedies:
Zorro, the Gay Blade (1981)
Small | Large

I'm betting that you have not seen it... Although based upon your list you might have.

Action/Adventure:
The Punisher (1989)
Small | Large

Often I find out that such and such has not seen or even heard of the 1989 version. It's many times better then the 200? version.

Drama:
The Adventurers (1969)
Small | Large

Sorry, I cannot find a trailer but the movie being dated does make it fun to watch and oddly it feels like watching James Bond meets The Godfather.

Epic:
Demanding... Since Star Wars has elements from WW2...

Where Eagles Dare (1968)
Small | Large

When I watch Where Eagles Dare I picture Han and Luke on a mission to destroy the top secret Nazi base. Trailer is almost 7 mins long epic...

The Night of the Generals (1967)
Small | Large

I love Night of the Generals because it has that Thriller twist.

Crime:
Thief (1981)
Small | Large

When I watch the movie I feel like I could break into a bank vault.

Adaptations:
Slaughterhouse-Five (1972)
Small | Large

This seems to work with most movies that you have listed. I have not read the book but the movie is quite good.

Science Fiction:
Strange Days (1995)
Small | Large

Quite hard at first since you have seen many "good SF moives" Strange Days is not your typical SF movie, but if you have not seen it by now... you should.

Horror:
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgX1cDkrH0 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

I'm picking Lemora since it's almost unheard of... The story is dark and gothic...

Thriller:
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy-Y-MIW1lE (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FRLMPDl3Ek (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Did you ever hear of Giallo? If you have not watched any it might be a good idea to start...

The best of the bad:
Equinox (1970)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UlPPId-o (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

This was one of the few stories that I played at night.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »

As I know you're a fellow wrestling fan, you'd probably enjoy:

The Wrestler (1974) - total kayfabe wrestling movie btw., largely silly but has some good moments here and there and Ed Asner whom well I like.

Grunt! The Wrestling Movie - hilariously bad but has some really entertaining wrestling segments, more comedic than serious though.

Blood & Guts (1978)- not a great film but arguably more realistic than most. Kinda dull and drags though.

Body Slam - cheesy but 80s fun. A little tough slugging at times though.

The One and Only - kinda cheesy especially since it features Henry Winkler as a wrestler but surprisingly I kind of liked it myself.

I Like To Hurt People - great glimpse at 70s style wrestling featuring the legendary original Shiek.

If you like ladies wrestling, you should check out:

...All the Marbles
Below the Belt
American Angels: Baptism of Blood

All surprisingly good and entertaining IMO although the last one's more a bad movie type goodness.

Based on what you already listed,

Rocky III (honestly I love all the Rocky films myself)
The Jerk (Steve Martin's best IMO)
The Maltese Falcon (Bogart at his best)
Teenagers From Outer Space (a bad movie must!)
Night and the City (1950) (wrestling actually figures into this one too but it's more a film noir about the fall of a man)
The Calimari Wrestler - every bad movie/wrestling fan ought to see this
Bad Guys (1986) - another very cheesy 80s film that factors pro wrestling into its unlikely plot.

It's been ages since I've seen Rocky 3, The Jerk or Teenagers From Outer Space

I'll keep an eye out for those other ones, thanks

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:40:06 PM »

I'm going to try to post movies that I believe you may not seen and might enjoy...

Comedies:
Zorro, the Gay Blade (1981)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC84CY3I3l4

I'm betting that you have not seen it... Although based upon your list you might have.

Action/Adventure:
The Punisher (1989)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umYvv7K4Z_I

Often I find out that such and such has not seen or even heard of the 1989 version. It's many times better then the 200? version.

Drama:
The Adventurers (1969)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JjgkZzUgmc

Sorry, I cannot find a trailer but the movie being dated does make it fun to watch and oddly it feels like watching James Bond meets The Godfather.

Epic:
Demanding... Since Star Wars has elements from WW2...

Where Eagles Dare (1968)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxBZ4Kh1zpU

When I watch Where Eagles Dare I picture Han and Luke on a mission to destroy the top secret Nazi base. Trailer is almost 7 mins long epic...

The Night of the Generals (1967)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdEg6TL1PJQ

I love Night of the Generals because it has that Thriller twist.

Crime:
Thief (1981)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keET6waBJHk

When I watch the movie I feel like I could break into a bank vault.

Adaptations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TQGhm2wBsE

This seems to work with most movies that you have listed. I have not read the book but the movie is quite good.

Science Fiction:
Strange Days (1995)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2dO6UyK3Q

Quite hard at first since you have seen many "good SF moives" Strange Days is not your typical SF movie, but if you have not seen it by now... you should.

Horror:
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgX1cDkrH0

I'm picking Lemora since it's almost unheard of... The story is dark and gothic...

Thriller:
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy-Y-MIW1lE

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FRLMPDl3Ek

Did you ever hear of Giallo? If you have not watched any it might be a good idea to start...

The best of the bad:
Equinox (1970)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UlPPId-o

This was one of the few stories that I played at night.

never hard of any of those except Equinox, gracias

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »

You ever see "The Game"? w/ Sean Penn and them
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »

You ever see "The Game"? w/ Sean Penn and them

nope, thanks  Thumbup

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »

Based off what you listed:
Reservoir Dogs- actiony flick crime drama
Dogma- jay and silent bob help on a mission from God
Law Abiding Citizen
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a decent adaption of the comic.

Theres more I can think of tomorrow

I haven't seen the Turtles films since I was a kid
I really liked Dogma and I own Law Abiding Citizen

Reservoir Dogs is going to be a film in one of my books and I haven't got around to rewatching it yet

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »

Based off the list of comedies you mentioned, you may enjoy:
Cannibal The Musical A group of guys on an exhibition in the 1800's, looking for gold in the Gold Rush.  A trip should take about a week, and 3 weeks in they lost all their food and are going nuts.  In this scene, one guy has gangrene in his foot and snaps and starts singing about snowmen.  Written, directed, and starring Matt and Trey of South Park Fame.
Small | Large

UHF
Small | Large

"Weird Al" plays George Newman, who gets fired from the local burger joint.  His uncle gets control of a local UHF station, wants nothing to do with it, and gives control to George, who hires ANYONE to be on his network, from the janitor to a guy seemingly willing to throw poodles out of a window to teach em to fly.

Requiem for A Dream
Small | Large

Requiem for a Dream is based on a novel by Herbert Selby Jr.  A mother wins a tv contest, and starts taking speed to lose weight.  Also, her son is a heroin addict, who hangs with his girlfriend, who's addicted to cocaine and heroin.  ALso, their best friend is a junkie as well.  It delves further into their lives, which results in the mother going in a hospital lockdown, the girlfriend becoming a hooker, the boyfriend getting such an infected arm from heroin he gets amputated, and their friend attempting to steal a bunch of money from dealers and some tvs and gets arrested.

venomx
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »

Bloodsport (1988) Jean-Claude Van Damme. The movie is based on the claimed adventures of Frank Dux. Frank Dux has spent most his life being trained by Tanaka to participate in the Kumite, the ultimate martial arts tournament.

Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) The undersea nation of Seatopia sends the gigantic Megalon to destroy the world above - and it's up to Godzilla and a size-shifting robot, Jet Jaguar, to defeat him.

King Kong Escapes (1967) King Kong is brought in by an evil ruler to dig for precious gems in a mine when the robot MechaKong is unable to do the task. This leads to the machine and the real Kong engaging in a tremendous battle that threatens to level Japan

National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) Chevy Chase. The Griswold family's cross-country drive to the Walley World theme park proves to be much more arduous than they ever anticipated.

The 'Burbs (1989) Tom Hanks. An overstressed suburbanite and his paramilitaric neighbor struggle to prove their paranoid theory that the new family in town is a front for a cannibalistic cult.

The Monster Squad (1987) It's like The Goonies but with Monsters. Dracula is alive. In fact, he plans to rule the world and that is why he seeks the help of other legendary monsters

TRON (1982) Imo it's the best video game movie ever. A hacker is literally abducted into the world of a computer and forced to participate in gladiatorial games where his only chance of escape is with the help of a heroic security program.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »

Adaptations:
Small | Large

Do yourself a favor.  READ Slaughterhouse Five.  It is an amazing book by a great author.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 11:07:13 PM »

Clerks II perhaps? I've been trying to find that movie myself, my sister went and lost my copy. I've heard mixed reviews of "Almost as good as Clerks" and "Better than Clerks".

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 11:16:30 PM »

Clerks II perhaps? I've been trying to find that movie myself, my sister went and lost my copy. I've heard mixed reviews of "Almost as good as Clerks" and "Better than Clerks".
Clerks 2 is well worth it.  Well worth it.

Skull
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 11:45:36 PM »

Do yourself a favor.  READ Slaughterhouse Five.  It is an amazing book by a great author.

It's on my list as well as a few other books... currently I'm working on a movie script that is based on a sidestory from my book Lifelines. And then I need to return back to my next book project.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  recommend bob some movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.