Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:53:16 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Top 100 Canadian TV Series  (Read 47117 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »

58. Charlie Jade (2005)

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »

59. A cheesy one but still fun: Katts and Dog (1988~1993)

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2011, 08:49:11 AM »

60. La Femme Nikita was another good one.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:52:32 AM by Trevor » Logged

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:59 AM »

61. Counterstrike (1990 ~ 1993) with Christopher Plummer and the late Simon MacCorkindale.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »

62. Tekwar (1995 ~ 1996) with Greg Evigan and Eugene Clark.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »

Good job Trevor!  I am ashamed to say I had forgotten about a few of those.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »

Pretty solid additions Trevor. I've seen most of those shows, but not all of them in complete, but personally really liked TekWar and Katts and Dog best of that bunch although I saw a lot of high praise for Charlie Jade and La Femme Nikita. Counterstrike felt kind of like a more Canadianized Mission: Impossible. Sinbad was cheesy fun.

63) Earth: Final Conflict (1997-2002): While only partly Canadian made, this was often an interesting show, the concept of Gene Roddenberry, in which an alien race bringing vast benefits to humanity may in reality have more sinister motives, or do they? It's a great concept for a series and there were some good episodes here and there but the show challenging its audience to not think in just black and white terms didn't seem to be working so unfortunately the series got shifted to more black and white, good and evil, extremes in its later seasons.

Small | Large

64) First Wave (1998-2001): This series was basically The Invaders updated (some could argue ripped off) for the late 1990s. It featured a lead character named Cade Foster (Sebastian Spence) on the run from aliens, as well the authorities after the aliens framed him for murder, who actually looked to the quatrains of Nostradamus to help guide him against the aliens and in trying to solve their plot. Foster would often be aided by his friend/ally Crazy Eddie (Rob Labelle). Personally I felt the series went down the crapper after adding Traci Lords in the last season, dumbing things down with more action and sex.

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2011, 01:39:12 AM »

Good job Trevor!  I am ashamed to say I had forgotten about a few of those.

Errmmm..... I cheated a bit, I must admit. I found a Wikipedia page with a list of Canadian TV series and checked through it, and listed the ones I'd seen.  Wink

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 12:02:29 AM »

65) Street Cents (1989-2006): "In this series, the teen hosts of this show explore consumer issues concerning teens in the form of product tests, answering viewer consumer questions, showcasing teen entrepreneurs and environmental initiatives, examining advertising claims and identifying rip offs. Interspersed in each episode are comedy sketches that help illustrate consumer issues whether it be countering the schemes of the unscrupulous Buyco exec, Ken Pompadour or the misadventures of the hosts themselves. " -IMDB Storyline written by Kenneth Chisholm.

This series which was on the air for a considerbale period of time usually featured a bunch of kids in the regular cast testing products and dealing with real issues and how they affected consumers. It was surprising funny and entertaining although it definitely felt to be more aimed at a youth audience. The cast weren't afraid to take to the streets of scenic Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Small | Large

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »

66. Mr. Microchip (1983)

Simple Saturday morning show produced by Nelvana for the CBC, starring computer consultant Skip Lumley. In each episode, the neighbour kids, Dayna and Steve, visited Skip's garage workshop, and learned about a different function or practical use of computers. Episodes were devoted to understanding how computers worked, simple programming, simulations, music, modems, etc. At a time when many of us kids were playing with our first home computers, and watching stuff like War Games and Whiz Kids, Skip's little lessons and ideas about the future were fascincating and at times exciting.

I can't find a video clip or even a picture from this show. From what I've read, only 13 episodes were made and it never aired outside of Canada. I suppose by its nature, the show didn't lend itself to rebroadcasting. The episodes quickly became outdated. But it was a great show at the time.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »

67)   Adderly (1986–1989)  Winston Rekert as handicapped super-spy V.H. Adderly who is relegated to minor duties close to the office due to his maimed hand.  He proves a hard man to keep down.  An inept bean-counting/pencil-pushing boss and a 'slightly daft' secretary with James Bond-type aspirations provided lots of light comedy.  It was good light fun, even addictive: the underdogs always came through.  And it was fun seeing Canadians saving the world.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »

68) Calgary Stampede Wrestling (1957-1989): This Calgary based wrestling promotion from promoter Stu Hart was a stable of Canadian television for many, many years. Hosted by Ed Whalen, the show featured a virtual who's who of the wrestling world over the years. In its early days, Stampede was a part of the NWA so the NWA World Champion was known to visit to battle and defend his world championship against the local stars including World Champions Harley Race and Dory Funk Jr.. In its later days, Stampede changed to recognize the AWA World Champion and so Nick Bockwinkel also defended his AWA World Championship there. Also the area boasted many local stars some who learned the ropes there and moved on to become even bigger stars worldwide including Chris Benoit, The British Bulldogs, Bret "Hitman" Hart, Owen Hart, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, Brian Pillman, Junkyard Dog, Superstar Billy Graham, The Honky Tonk Man, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Steve Blackman, Makhan Singh who'd become Norman and later Bastion Booger, Bad News Allen (AKA: Bad News Brown), Rip Rogers, Gary Allbright (As Vulcan Singh) and others who spent a large portion of their careers there including Kerry Brown, Ben Bassarab, The Cuban Assassin, Jerry Morrow, The Great Gama Singh, Bruce Hart, Archie "The Stomper" Gouldie, "Bulldog" Bob Brown, Biff Wellington, "Rotten" Ron Starr, Leo Burke, Goldie Rogers, Ron Ritchie amongst others. Also several name attractions spent some time and put in special appearances in the promotion over the years including Don Muraco, Andre the Giant, Killer Khan, Abdullah the Butcher, Ox Baker, Antonio Inoki to name but a few. After many many years as a TV stable, the Canadian wrestling show of choice for many, Stampede finally closed its doors in 1989 with most of its name talent being lured away by the WWF and NWA and it just not being to compete with the global expanison of the WWF product.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:41:42 PM by JaseSF » Logged

66Crush
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »

I had no idea "Tek War" was Canadian made. I only watched it because I was a big Shatner fan and it ran on the USA Network right after Wrestling.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »

69: F/X The Series (1996 ~ 1998) ~ an entertaining series, (based on the movies starring Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy) with Cameron Daddo and Kevin Dobson.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »

70) Hockey Night in Canada (1952-present): This weekly hockey show which sometimes runs more than once a week has been a staple on the Canadian airwaves for close to sixty years now. I'm actually not a huge hockey fan but leaving this off the list of Canadian TV shows just wouldn't feel right I don't believe. Hosted by Ron Maclean and with commentary between periods by the ever entertaining and opinionated Don Cherry on Coach's Corner add to its appeal. Long time broadcasters like Bob Cole and Dick Irvin were voices that became very well-known to most Canadians and they were certainly some of the best in their field of play by play. Color Commentators Howie Meeker and Harry Neale come to mind for me personally as standing out. And of course all the great hockey and hockey teams over the years although Hockey Night in Canada typically focuses on games featuring Canadian teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Montreal Canadians, the Ottawa Senators, the Winnepeg Jets, the Vancouver Canucks, the Edmonton Oilers, the Calgary Flames and the Quebec Nordiques. The instantly recognizable original theme song on CBC may be gone as other stations acquired the rights but the spirit remains.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.