Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:16 PM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Author Topic: Top 100 Canadian TV Series  (Read 46699 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »

15. King of Kensington - Sitcoms were something Canadian television didn't do particularly well for many years, but King of Kensington was a huge hit. Really funny and occasionally pushed the boundaries of TV in the 70s. For example, the episode that focused on Larry and Cathy's fertility problems, in which Larry must get a semen analysis. The humour was similar to Norman Lear shows of the time, and Larry King (Al Waxman) was sort of Canada's answer to Archie Bunker - friendly, liberal, proudly living in an ethnically diverse part of Toronto, and often landing in funny predicaments while trying to help people. The show ran for five years, although the last two seasons were crap, after the supporting cast and the setting changed.
Small | Large

Small | Large

That is Mike Myers in the Cub uniform, by the way.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

16. Undergrads (2001): great adult-themed cartoon about life in university and the transitions involved (or perhaps sometimes lack thereof...) for four childhood friends now attending three different local colleges. Hilariously funny toon! (IMO) This show should have had more than one season, very underrated.

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »

For my money SCTV was funnier than SNL.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »

17. The Littlest Hobo - Canada's Lassie. Kind of a corny family show about a stray dog who roams around befriending people and helping them, then moving on. Kind of similar in premise to The Incredible Hulk series, but with an intelligent dog instead of a scientist who turns into a monster. The show originally ran in the 60s, and then returned from 1979 to 1985. The show was widely viewed by Canadian kids at the time.
Small | Large

The Littlest Hobo was also the subject of an episode of Corner Gas, which was a great show for popular references that appealed to 30-something Canadians. A stray German Shepherd shows up in town, and Hank is convinced it's the real-life Littlest Hobo.
Small | Large

---------------------
venomx
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »

4) You Can't Do That on Television (1979-1990):

Best show ever! What do think is in the burger! Barth: DaaAaaa... I heard that!

14.)Survivorman (2004-2008)

I can watch that show all day! Props. Thumbup
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 02:58:12 PM »

Best show ever! What do think is in the burger! Barth: DaaAaaa... I heard that!

Les Lye was absolutely hilarious. He played so many great characters on that show. I also remember watching him on Willy and Floyd.

Don't know if Willy and Floyd belongs on the list, but I will add another low-budget Canadian kids' show...

18. The Hilarious House of Frightenstein, starring Billy Van and featuring special guest star Vincent Price, who I believe recorded all of his little intro pieces in one session. The show was produced at CHCH TV in Hamilton, Ontario, back in the days when local television stations actually produced real shows.
Small | Large

---------------------
venomx
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »

The Hilarious House of Frightenstein! Yeah you beat me to it. That was a GREAT show!

I'm thinking I'll order the DVDs someday. Thumbup
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »

I've loved The Littlest Hobo show since I was a little kid and Hilarious House of Frightenstein is great fun too! Great additions AndyC!  Thumbup

19) Ghostly Encounters (2005-Present): Perhaps the best of all the ghost story shows on television. This show hosted by Lawrence Chau is very well done with a likable host, sit-down interviews with real people who claim to have experienced ghostly encounters from throughout Canada interspeced with dramatic recreations of the events they're telling us in their interviews. Great use of sound effects and notable props enhance things considerably as well as conducting the interviews in a darkly lit small room. Smartly done all the way around.

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:14 PM »

20) The Outer Limits (1995-2002): The reimagined 1990s Outer Limits was actually quite different and ultimately I'd argue inferior to the original but definitely had some great episodes here and there and was largely a Canadian production. I feel it has more in common actually with The Twilight Zone and even Tales From the Crypt with many tales that involve moral lessons of sorts. Still there were episodes that were very good indeed.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:23:32 PM by JaseSF » Logged

Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »

21.)Are You Afraid Of The Dark (1990-2000)
Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 06:57:26 PM »

22. The Beachcombers (1972-1990)

Canada's longest-running dramatic television series. Used to watch it every Sunday night as a kid. Combined a bit of adventure, drama and comedy, in a family show centred around small-time salvage operators and their friends. I once heard a stand-up comedian describe it as "an Indian guy, a Greek guy and a drunk guy looking for logs." That was pretty much what they did for a living - salvage stray logs along the coast of British Columbia. The CBC used to be very big on building shows around things like unusual regional occupations. The star of The Beachcombers, Bruno Gerussi, really wasn't known for much besides Beachcombers and his daytime show, Celebrity Cooks, which some of you might have seen recreated in the Bob Crane biopic, Auto Focus. Americans might remember Robert Clothier from guest appearances on The X-Files, and Jackson Davies as the neighbour in Freddy Got Fingered.
Small | Large

And here's the intro from Celebrity Cooks. I wouldn't put it on the list, but it is a fun bit of Canadian pop culture, and very much a product of the 70s.
Small | Large

---------------------
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »

Personally I found The Beachcombers to be particularly painful TV viewing and it was like you couldn't avoid it back in the day as much as you wanted to given as we were limited to only two channels where I lived and it inevitably came on when absolutely nothing else was on...still I found it rather painful to watch.

Featuring talents from my own home province (Ron Hynes, Greg Malone, Cathy Jones, Tommy Sexton, Mary Walsh and the rest of the WGB) there was also this show which I personally found to be hilarious yet also very, very weird.

23) The Wonderful Grand Band (1980-1983)

Small | Large

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

Personally I found The Beachcombers to be particularly painful TV viewing and it was like you couldn't avoid it back in the day as much as you wanted to given as we were limited to only two channels where I lived and it inevitably came on when absolutely nothing else was on...still I found it rather painful to watch.

I'd definitely agree for some years. With close to two decades and nearly 400 episodes, there was a lot of room to suck. I can't say I watched any of it after about the early 80s, and from what I've seen of the later episodes, I didn't miss much. I admit that when I heard the show was cancelled in 1990, I was surprised that it was still on. But there is that stretch in the late 70s to early 80s that makes me a little bit nostalgic.

---------------------
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

Yeah in all honesty it probably should very well be on this list based on its staying power alone. I have to admit it was the later seasons I saw...it may well have been far better in the 70s- early 80s.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »

24) Wayne and Shuster (1954-1985): The classic Canadian comedy team of Johnny Wayne and Frank Shuster had continuining comedy specials on CBC from the 50s up until the 80s. They were very funny and very talented and produced many great, hilarious sketch parodies over the years.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.