Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:23:52 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Top 100 Canadian TV Series  (Read 46680 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »

84) PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal (1996-2000): This fictional paranormal sci-fi/horror series featured added wraparounds by host Dan Aykroyd to blur the lines between reality and fiction. It featured a paranormal investigative team and their adventurous exploits involving the supernatural week after week. It wasn't a fantastic show but it wasn't half bad either. In fact at times, I'd argue it was even pretty good. Originally the show was played almost as quasi-fictional but this would eventually be abandoned in favor of a more traditional approach. The series had a bit of a revolving cast but did feature prominently Nancy Anne Sakovich, Barclay Hope, Colin Fox, Matt Frewer, and Soo Garay. The first season also starred Paul Miller and Maurice Dean Wint who would leave in Season 2 and Matt Frewer would then be added. Nigel Bennett would also join the cast in Season 2. In Season 3, Peter MacNeil joined. By season 4, Soo Garay was added to the main cast after numerous guest appearances and Joanne Vannicola was added.

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »

85. Royal Canadian Air Farce

I must admit I didn't watch for the last few years, but the earlier seasons on TV were funny. That would be with the cast of Abbott, Ferguson, Goy and Morgan. Also really funny in its earlier radio incarnation.

Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »

While I'm thinking of radio comedy shows that moved to TV, I might as well add:

86. The Frantics: Four on the Floor
Small | Large

Small | Large

---------------------
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »

I used to enjoy Air Farce back in the day but it seemed to get dumber and dumber the longer it was on the air. Still it probably should be on the list here.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »

I used to enjoy Air Farce back in the day but it seemed to get dumber and dumber the longer it was on the air. Still it probably should be on the list here.

Air Farce was good up to the late 90s, and maybe until John Morgan retired in 2001. After that, I didn't watch it very much, and I didn't see the last few seasons at all. Air Farce always had kind of a dumb, silly element to it, but it was also funny. The later seasons, I thought it just got more silly than funny, the political humour just turned into very broad, generic (and generally toothless) swipes at everybody, and everything had a "wink wink, nudge nudge" vibe to it. It just got lame. But for a few years there, it was a great TV show, and a great radio show before that.

---------------------
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »

87) Haven (2010-present): This recent series is actually pretty decent. It features a FBI agent named Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) with a mysterious past arriving in the small town of Haven, Maine to solve the murder of a local ex-con only to stumble on to the fact the small town is like a refuge for numerous people with supernatural powers, a new emerging mystery which may in fact hold the key to her own past.

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »

88) The Raccoons (1985-1992): This classic Canadian animated series, which I watched throughout my teenage years, is arguably part of our Canadian heritage. It mainly was about trying to teach a moral message through a story and yeah, it got bit preachy at times but it was still a good, entertaining little show that featured great characters which was arguably its strong suit be it the adventurous, rebellious, always getting in trouble Bert Raccoon, the megalomaniacal rich villain Cyril Sneer who seemed a constant threat in the Evergreen forest, Sneer's more likable and good natured but much more timid son Cedric, Ralph Raccoon as the voice of reason who usually worked to get Bert out of trouble and Lisa Raccoon, who was a little like a raccoon version of Lisa Simpson, but mostly came to Bert's aid as well.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:46:25 PM by JaseSF » Logged

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »

89) Bizarre (1980-1985): Canadian sketch comedy series hosted by John Byner from the days before politcal correctness. It was frequently quite funny with lots of female cleavage featuring into the jokes and was also host to Super Dave Osbourne skits before he got his own show (honestly I never cared for his show but in the small bits here I found him much more tolerable). Some of its regular sketch stars included Philip Akin, George Allen, Billy Barty, Cynthia Belliveau, Tanya Boyd, Dave Broadfoot, George Buza, Lally Cadeau, Christine Catell, Jennifer Dale, Laura Dickson, Jack Duffy and Jayne Eastwood. It was hosted early on by Richard Dawson.

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »

89) Bizarre (1980-1985): Canadian sketch comedy series hosted by John Byner from the days before politcal correctness. It was frequently quite funny with lots of female cleavage featuring into the jokes and was also host to Super Dave Osbourne skits before he got his own show (honestly I never cared for his show but in the small bits here I found him much more tolerable). Some of its regular sketch stars included Philip Akin, George Allen, Billy Barty, Cynthia Belliveau, Tanya Boyd, Dave Broadfoot, George Buza, Lally Cadeau, Christine Catell, Jennifer Dale, Laura d**kson, Jack Duffy and Jayne Eastwood. It was hosted early on by Richard Dawson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYUlXPT9X4

Bizarre was great, and I still consider the Bigot Family to be one of the most ingenious pieces of TV comedy. They figured out how to sit around telling ethnic jokes on TV and get away with it.

And I agree, Super Dave was hilarious on Bizarre, but I didn't like his show at all.

---------------------
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »

90) Spider-Man (1967-1970): Yeah, the classic Spidey cartoon was largely Canadian made. It was a weird mish mash. In its early seasons, it focused on real Spider-Man villains in short stories based loosely on the comics but later it just got really bizarre putting Spidey in weird futuristic or past settings where he encountered all sorts of strangeness that leaves one wondering just what experimental drugs the creators might have been playing with at the time, kind of like Spider-Man placed into Rocket Robin Hood type settings, not surprising I guess as I'm pretty sure a lot of the creative team worked on both. Yet this cartoon remains a beloved favourite for many who grew up with it including me.

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »

91) The Shirley Show (1989-1995): Canadian talk show that ran for 6 years. It typically ran in the afternoon between soap operas and I recall it being quite popular during my late teenage years. The host was Shirley Solomon and it had a distinctive friendly Canadian flavour to it IMO. Surprisingly the show would even get syndicated to several American networks. Still for all, no one seems to remember it nowadays and I'd probably get strange looks for even bringing it up. Still this was a mainstay on the airwaves for 6 years.

Unfortunately the only clip I can find features Celine Dion so be warned!

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »

92) ReBoot (1994-2002): This Canadian CGI animated series was pretty cleverly written and innovative. Set inside the computer world of Mainframe, a guardian program sprite named Bob an his friends work to defend the system from threats such as viruses, the User and villains such as Megabyte and Hexadecimal.

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »

93) The Fifth Estate (1975-present): This news/documentary/investigative report series is arguably one of history's most hard-hitting news magazine shows dealing with and tackling issues, often touchy and controversial ones others won't, and presenting different points of view. There's been many different journalists working and reporting as well as topics tackled over the years. Just to name some of the more interesting issues tackled: 9/11 Truth, Al-Qaeda in Europe, the Airbus affair, Airport Security, Chris Benoit, Communications Security Establishment, Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, Polygamy, "To Sell a War" and much much more. This show was always professionally done and even has an Academy Award to its credit for 1982 Documentary feature for "Just Another Missing Kid", originally an episode of "The Fifth Estate".

Small | Large

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »

94. W5 - Another investigative news program that was on for many years. I used to really like it in the early 90s.
Small | Large

Always liked that Supertramp theme too.

---------------------
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

95. The Undersea Adventures of Captain Nemo (1974-1975): Recall watching and thoroughly enjoying this animated kids cartoon. It was pretty well done and promoted science and scientific research, trying to learn more about the creatures of the ocean. It was also kind of a pro-environmental show if you really think about it...all in short little stories so your attention rarely wandered.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.