Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:46:54 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: Top 100 Canadian TV Series  (Read 46705 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »

96. Live It Up
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »

Interesting we're nearing the end of this list. I initially wondered if it could even be completed. Now I knew there were a lot of Canadian shows but I wasn't sure we'd be able to dig up 100 different names when we started. Yet now I see several notable names not even on the list as of yet, granted most of these are shows aimed more at the female viewer which might explain their absence here so far given there's far more guys active on the site...still I'm kind of surprised no one's added "Being Erica", "Heartland", "North of 60", "Andromeda", "The Dead Zone", "Cold Squad", "Wonderfalls", "Odyssey 5", "Starhunter", "Lonesome Dove", "The Adventures of Shirley Holmes", "Nancy Drew" and "The Black Stallion".

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2011, 07:59:31 AM »

97. Trailer Park Boys
Small | Large

---------------------
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »

...but Jase, I don't watch 'girly' shows!  IMO Heartland and North of 60 (and arguably several others) are soaps.   TongueOut  Being Erica started off OK but I lost track of it quickly - too soapy/relationship oriented; the first season of Cold Squad turned me off (the acting was sooo awful!) and the Black Stallion never grabbed me at all (though as a kid the books did).

Although I feel several you mentioned have merit (Dead Zone had its moments), I will add a couple of personal favourites:

98. Andromeda (2000-2005) - or more properly: "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda"  Captain Dylan Hunt (Kevin Sorbo) and his sentient ship (Lexa Doig) emerge from the clutches of a black hole after 300 years and resume their mission to restore order to the universe.  He recruits a handful of diverse (and skilled) misfits to aid him.  Lots of good ideas, explored well and decent production values.  Even the semi-'mystical' side of things worked very well when it came to the fore in later episodes.  A good mix of mystery, action and concepts.  Good fun and thought-provoking.  Had a 'feel-good' faith in the potential of humanity: Roddenberry would have been proud.

99.  Wonderfalls (2004) was quirky, quick, clever, VERY funny and a lot of fun.  One of the best things on TV!  (I seriously thought it was listed as an American show when I first looked it up on IMDB or I would have mentioned it long ago!)  The trials and tribulations of Jaye: an under-achiever with oddball family and friends who has random inanimate objects talking to her, offering cryptic comments and advice that sets all sorts of hilarious action in motion.  Hard to describe, but will not disappoint!   Greatly missed: one season was not enough.

(We are fans: we keep a cow creamer by the computer.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:23:35 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

Wonderfalls is partly American, partly Canadian.

100) Canadian Case Files (2005-2006): Underrated little true crime stories show hosted by Art Hindle (of "E.N.G." fame) that digs into different real life Canadian crime files and dramatizing the situations surrounding them in a 30 minute format. It was fairly well done if a little dry at times.

And yeah this list is completed. If anyone wants to discuss some more Canadian shows not on the list, feel free to do so.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »

Another Canadian show I really enjoy is Northern Mysteries(2005-present). It's hosted by Kenneth Welsh and is a show that deals with paranormal happenings like ghosts, mysterious creatures that may or may not exist but also stuff like buried treasures and bizarre murders. It's a really enjoyable show but it seems episodes only appear sporadically.

This link describes the episodes so far. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Mysteries

snowman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »

Boy, talk about a walk down memory lane! Lots of good shows that I've watched over many a year. For example, Reboot, animation light years ahead of animation from south of the border. I remember listening to a radio interview with one of its creators and he mentioned that one problem they had selling the program in the U.S. was that one of the female characters showed too much "cleavage" for a kids program!

A couple of shows that everyone has missed:

- Razzle Dazzle (1964-1966). A kids show with  live actors and an animated turtle.

- Forest Rangers (1963-1965). About a bunch kids living in an abandoned Hudson Bay fort in northern Ontario. Without any adult supervision!

- And my favourite, Smith and Smith, (1979-1985) which was a little independent show out of CHCH in Hamiliton, Ontario and consisted of the husband and wife team of Steve and Morag Smith. The show consisted of the two doing a bunch of little skits, one of which was Steve and his character "Red Green." Now you know the rest of the story!

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »

- Forest Rangers (1963-1965). About a bunch kids living in an abandoned Hudson Bay fort in northern Ontario.

How did we miss that one?  It was outstanding in its day.   Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2011, 11:39:28 AM »

- And my favourite, Smith and Smith, (1979-1985) which was a little independent show out of CHCH in Hamiliton, Ontario and consisted of the husband and wife team of Steve and Morag Smith. The show consisted of the two doing a bunch of little skits, one of which was Steve and his character "Red Green." Now you know the rest of the story!

Don't know how we missed that one. It was a funny show.

---------------------
66Crush
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »

What about CATWALK? Any love for a young Neve Campbell? It was like FAME but a few years too late. I think it would be a hit today, especially if thay made it more PG 13 and aired it on Nickelodeon, it would fit right along side shows like VICTORIOUS or BIG TIME RUSH. Another problem is that it was too similar in tone to the Fox show THE HEIGHTS (which was not as good).
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

"Life's a b***h, and she's back in heat."

« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2011, 05:01:28 AM »

Does half american half canadian productions count? A lot of shows are from america but filmed in canada.

If so, I'd like to nominate the X-Files.

Also, I've been watching a show called Jimmy Two-Shoes, but it hasn't been on long for me to determine whether I'd put it on the best ever list. It's one of the few cartoons making new episodes that I don't find insanely stupid.

Bruce Campbell is a lover and a fighter. If you want to find him, follow the trail of dead men and pregnant women.
voltron

« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2011, 04:12:03 AM »

What about CATWALK? Any love for a young Neve Campbell? It was like FAME but a few years too late. I think it would be a hit today, especially if thay made it more PG 13 and aired it on Nickelodeon, it would fit right along side shows like VICTORIOUS or BIG TIME RUSH. Another problem is that it was too similar in tone to the Fox show THE HEIGHTS (which was not as good).

Loved this one! Thought I was the only person who dug it - it was a little corny but cool "it's tough to be in a band" show. I think I remember Faruzia Balk in one episode.

I remember a show called Strange But True in the 80s. Not the British show - this one was Canadian. The intro always creeped me out. Couldn't find any YouTube clips though.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »

A couple more long-lasting Canadian TV series:

Small | Large

On the Road Again (with Wayne Rostad)

Small | Large

Land and Sea

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 Canadian TV Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.