Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:24:54 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SSSSSSS (1973)- Snake Movie on a confusing DVD package. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SSSSSSS (1973)- Snake Movie on a confusing DVD package.  (Read 14795 times)
66Crush
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:45 AM »

Has anyone ever seen this piece of crap? It stars Dirk Benedict as an assistant to a scientist who studies snakes. The scientist gives him what he claims are anti-venom injections. But what the professor is really doing is slowly turning him into a snake. The professor's daughter falls in love with Dirk's character and figures out her father's plan when she finds one of his rejects as the snake man in a carnival. The transformation is laughable. I found it on a DVD 4 Pack with "Serphant and the Rainbow," "Phantasm II," and "Funhouse." All well known horror films. Since I had never heard of "SSSSSSS" I watched it first and later thought "What the hell is this doing on DVD with good movies?" Ironicly the same day I bought an 8 pack DVD which featured seven b-movies along with "Prom Night." I know "Prom Night" was an independent, but should it really be on the same DVD pack as "Evil Bong" starring Tommy Chong?
Skull
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:13:50 AM »

The movie was interesting also in the late 1960's to early 1970's there was a bunch of horror films of mad doctors in the country (typically the desert) conducting some kind of crazy experments.

claws
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »

Love it. Campy but decent flick in my opinion.
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:52:24 AM »

I saw SSSSSSS (Hiss It! Don't Say It! the ads suggested) at the theater during it's initial release. It was on a double bill with THE BOY WHO CRIED WEREWOLF (1973) which had Kerwin Matthews (THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD) as a werewolf who gets to fight hippies.

We were puzzled by Strother Martin's remark about how he was upset "even one drop of blood" got into his daughter after he found out she had rolled around naked with the soon-to-be snake man. We were not quite clear as to what went on when people rolled around naked so we figured she must have bit him.

The werewolf movie was a bigger hit with my crowd because it featured a monster, not just a stupid snake. We were also disappointed when Tim o'Connor turned out not to be that funny guy on The Carol Burnett Show.

I have to admire the fact that even almost 40 years later this film is still quite capable of inflicting pain and confusion on an audience.  Thumbup
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:55:07 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »

Saw it one day when the Sci-Fi Channel had one of those marthons were the movies all have simialar themes (Reptile Rampage or something like that.)  I have an affinity for reptiles so  I watched it and I found myself really noticing it's flaws right off the bat.

For instance, the scientest says the snake/human hybrid will be superior. Having the body of a snake and the mind of a human. Well, one of the adaptaitions that make humans successful is the opposable thumb.  How would the snake people buld homes and technology that make up so much of human existence.

Then there was the fact that he had a mongoose around.  That's like trying to raise chickens but keeping a fox around. Just asking for trouble. Also, I've heard mongooses are illegal to import to the US (Not sure if it's true, and then again the guy probably wasn't concerned about stuff like that.)

I guess what disappointed me most is that the final form lookes just like a normal king corba.  I would have perfered either a snake man or at least some sort of styleized monster snake.

There were moments I liked, such as the man apparantly forgetting he locked up a python in the basement, which eventually kills someone.  If I had got it in a pack like yo, I don't think I would have been too disappointed.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Mike From BBandBCs
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »

Great flick indeed  Buggedout

http://badassesboobsandbodycounts.com/ - Badasses, Boobs and Body Counts
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »

I actually picked up the same 4-pack as you, 66Crush, mainly to add the other 3 flicks to my collection for a bargain. I'd heard of Sssssss (love that title, lol) but never saw it. I still haven't gotten around to watching it all the way through. Started it a few times, but it always loses my interest. I figured it was just some random addition that they threw into the 4-pack so as to make SOME money off it, figuring that people would likely pick up the set for Phantasm 2, The Funhouse, or Serpent & The Rainbow, or all 3, so they just slapped this fourth flick that no one really wants on there so as to get SOME mileage out of it. ::shrugs:: Whatever.

I must remember to get around to watching it so I can put my two cents in regarding the film itself.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:37:23 PM »

I haven't seen it since the late 70's, it was on TV and it seemed like everyone was talking about it.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
claws
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 01:01:05 AM »

And remember, don't say it - hiss it!  TeddyR

Small | Large
Hammock Rider

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »

I saw it on tv when I was about 7 and it scared the crap out of me. I loved it back then. Sure now it seems silly as hell but back then it was mind numbingly terrifying, causing nightmares not to be believed. And that was just Reb Brown's performance. Wokka Wokka Smile

Now it's just a nostalgic favorite, although I did pick up one useful bit of information. "Red touch yellow will kill a fellow, red touch black, my friend Jack." I've never had a problem distinguishing coral snakes from king snakes since then.

Please enjoy this helpful illustration.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 09:07:35 AM »

Really creeped me out when I was a kid. Haven't seen it since. That one really tapped the ol' memory banks. I'll have to check that one out again one of these days.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »

I think this movie is very entertaining.  I own the DVD!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
venomx
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »

I think Sssssss was my 1st horror movie. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) was right after. Twirling
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »

Of the snake/horror movies that came out in the '70's,I enjoyed it the most!  Yeah it was stupid...but I quite like stupid movies.
The half snake man (created by John Chambers of PLANET OF THE APES fame) was cool.
Director Bernard Kowalski is also resoponsible for NIGHT of the BLOOD BEAST (1958) and ATTACK of the GIANT LEECHES (1959)!

Other killer snake horror movies of the 70's...

RATTLERS (1976) Very low budget and very boring.
STANLEY (1972) Fun. Kinda like WILLARD with snakes.
NIGHT OF THE COBRA WOMAN (1972) Don't recall much about this.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »

Then there was the fact that he had a mongoose around.  That's like trying to raise chickens but keeping a fox around. Just asking for trouble. Also, I've heard mongooses are illegal to import to the US (Not sure if it's true, and then again the guy probably wasn't concerned about stuff like that.

WingedSerpent is correct. It is illegal to import them into the United States. That while they are great at killing off snakes and rats, when they finish with the snakes and rats, they go after any ground based local fauna. Which people learned much to regret, when they were imported into the islands of the West Indies and Hawaii.

They are also illegal in the U.K., which was pointed out to me by friends I have in the U.K., when I showed them "Lair of the White Worm," which features a mongoose in the film.

And being something of a language geek, the plural of mongoose is apparently mongooses and not mongeese.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SSSSSSS (1973)- Snake Movie on a confusing DVD package. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.