Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:18:35 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PERFECT MOVIE? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: PERFECT MOVIE?  (Read 17568 times)
Skull
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Perfect in every way.
Then I must add Manhunter (1986)
You know, I've heard about this movie many times, but for whatever reason, I've never seen it. I'm surprised that I haven't. I'm going to have to remedy that.
MANHUNTER is good, but SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is superior.  MANHUNTER was remade a few years ago with the title taken from THOMAS HARRIS' novel: RED DRAGONMANHUNTER and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS are faithful to the books... which are terrific reads, and being literature, do have other dimensions barely alluded to in the movies.  I've not seen the RED DRAGON remake. 

Red Dragon is one of the few books that I have actually read, the reason I wanted to know how (or if) the book has covered the way the FBI analyzed the Toilet Paper from Manhunter; the scene in the movie is impressive for 1980's Forensics. The book itself seemed to be written during the late 1960's to late 1970's... More towards 1979...

Oddly, I like Manhunter more then Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon remake (saddly Red Dragon remake isnt like the book)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:34 AM »

I knew that Manhunter was based on Red Dragon. I've read Thomas Harris' Hannibal books except for Red Dragon. I thought the final one, Hannibal was a very good book but the movie was just horrid. The Silence of the Lambs was indeed very true to the book in both story detail and I think got the feel right, thanks in no small part to Jonathan Demme.
I thought HANNIBAL the movie was... annoying.  I haven't read that book.  SILENCE does not allude so much to the "Pascal Lamb" and "Golgotha after the deposition" leaving out a dimension in the book, but it holds up well.  Red Dragon was a terrific novel, possibly superior to the book Silence of the Lambs

I think I have Red Dragon somewhere. I think I picked it up at a used bookstore and it just got stashed. I'll have to dig it out.

I know how you feel about Hannibal the movie, but the book is good and you should read it sometime. Interestingly, Jodie Foster refused to reprise her role because she didn't like the ending of the book and what happens to Clarice. So, they recast the role with Julianne Moore and change the ending away from what Foster objected to anyway.

Question

I won't provide a spoiler in case you plan to read it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy.  As a lifelong fan of the series, I just eat it up every time I get the chance!  What a cinematic masterpiece.

I also love GLADIATOR.  I watch it every fall with my sophomore World History class, and I cry at the end every time.

When I see someone say that they loved "Gladiator," I always have to ask, did you see the same story in an earlier film 1964's "Fall of the Roman Empire?" "Gladiator" may be the better film to show a school class, as it may be the more historically accurate, but otherwise I think "Fall of the Roman Empire" comes off as the better film.

Better acting.
Better action.
Better cinematography.
Better direction.
Better lighting. I still remember how they lit one scene with the sunlight falling down through the tree leaves.
Better spectacle. They did it the hard way. With human bodies.
And a better cast of actors.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »

Never have seen that film, I'll have to check it out.

Another movie I have watched again and again without ever tiring of it is Mel Gibson's THE PATRIOT.  Beautiful cinematography, breathtaking battle sequences, and incredible performances.  I always cry in a couple of different scenes in that movie, esp, when Benjamin Martin's little girl chases after him as he rides off to battle again, begging him not to go!  Simply an incredible film.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 02:35:38 AM »

The Princess Bride

I'm surprised I didn't think of this immediately. Now I don't have hard statistics on this (man, I wish I did), but I've probably watched this movie more times than any other movie. In fact, I can pretty much state that I have seen this movie hundreds of times.

Anyway, The Princess Bride makes me feel better about the world for the sheer fact that this movie exists in it. I'm pretty sure I could recreate the entire movie from start to finish from memory.

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous of which is never get involved in land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha, ha--"

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »

"The Rodents of Unusual Size?  I think they're a myth!"

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »

The Princess Bride

Anyway, The Princess Bride makes me feel better about the world for the sheer fact that this movie exists in it.

I feel that way about most of Rob Reiner's films.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »

The Princess Bride

Anyway, The Princess Bride makes me feel better about the world for the sheer fact that this movie exists in it.

I feel that way about most of Rob Reiner's films.

Actually, let me restate that. I feel that way about most of Rob Reiner's films from the 80's. His more recent work is very hit or miss.

crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »

PEE WEES BIG ADVENTURE. How I didn't think of this first I do not know.

I love absolutely everything about this film.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE is PERFECT!!!  
Small | Large

Just watched it again 2 or 3 weeks ago... aside from being endlessly watchable, it's funny, with witty repartee but never self-involved, faithful to the novel (the first time I watched this was in high school English while reading the book) a perfect film adaptation...it's... perfect.  

...When I see someone say that they loved "Gladiator," I always have to ask, did you see the same story in an earlier film 1964's "Fall of the Roman Empire?" "Gladiator" may be the better film to show a school class, as it may be the more historically accurate, but otherwise I think "Fall of the Roman Empire" comes off as the better film.
Better acting.  Better action.  Better cinematography.  Better direction.  Better lighting. I still remember how they lit one scene with the sunlight falling down through the tree leaves.  Better spectacle. They did it the hard way. With human bodies.  And a better cast of actors.
I do like the earlier film; CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER, STEPHEN BOYD, ALEC GUINNESS, SOPHIA LOREN...!!!  My favorite Roman type movie, I think...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:58:45 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
voltron

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »

Deep Red. That is all.  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »

The Princess Bride

I'm surprised I didn't think of this immediately. Now I don't have hard statistics on this (man, I wish I did), but I've probably watched this movie more times than any other movie. In fact, I can pretty much state that I have seen this movie hundreds of times.

Anyway, The Princess Bride makes me feel better about the world for the sheer fact that this movie exists in it. I'm pretty sure I could recreate the entire movie from start to finish from memory.

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous of which is never get involved in land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha, ha--"

I just watched this. I think it is perfect for a different reason in that there is something  for everyone in it be it the love story, sword play, comediac moments, revenge, pirates and it's enjoyable for people of all ages.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »

Dangerous Liasons....what a great movie!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
odinn7

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »

Road Warrior

Expendables

Sin City

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »

Small | Large

This movie was on last night and I watched it again.  But one needs to listen to SOUNDER.  The dog is "Sounder" and he's the heart of the film, struggling, old and parched, but cared for... a symbol... it's not about the dog at all.  When MARTIN RITT made his movie, he knew it was SOUNDER.  The movie's name is SOUNDER.  It's sold a certain way like in this trailer, but in fact it's about texture and sound; and the film is superior.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PERFECT MOVIE? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.