Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:58:40 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Under the Radar Teen Comedies of the 80's « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Under the Radar Teen Comedies of the 80's  (Read 8482 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »

Gimme an 'F' (1984) - This one has sort of a reputation and following. Funny movie with a catchy soundtrack. Apparently there was a saucy, more explicit version that never saw the light of day.

This one keeps turning up on Fox Movie Channel in the dead of night lately. I can't recall if I've ever seen it, been meaning to set my DVR for it next time it's coming on but haven't caught it yet. Is it worth a look?

One of my faves from "Back in the Day" that never got much love is "Moving Violations," starring John Murray (Bill Murray's brother) in his first (and perhaps only?) leading role...the cast also includes a very hot Jennifer Tilly, Fred Willard and a cameo by Clara "Where's the Beef?" Peller...

Small | Large

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »

The Last American Virgin (1981 or '82)

Small | Large

This is one that, while not totally unheard of, dosen't get a lot of airplay either.

It manages to capture the spirit of the early 80's in a way that the other films do, but also takes a sinister turn for the main character, Gary (Lawrence Monoson) as he winds up being brutally betrayed later on.

You really feel for him and walk away from the film somewhat angry over that betrayal, but not before a good hard dose of sadness kicks in.  Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:26:59 PM by Umaril The Unfeathered » Logged

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
claws
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »

Gimme an 'F' (1984) - This one has sort of a reputation and following. Funny movie with a catchy soundtrack. Apparently there was a saucy, more explicit version that never saw the light of day.

This one keeps turning up on Fox Movie Channel in the dead of night lately. I can't recall if I've ever seen it, been meaning to set my DVR for it next time it's coming on but haven't caught it yet. Is it worth a look?

I would say yes. Just don't expect a masterpiece.
66Crush
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

I also love "The Last American Virgin." It's true it doesn't get shown as much as it should. I think it's like a darker "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" in that it is a very realistic view of teen sexuality. Both of these movies show the consequences and heartbreak of being a teen, while other movies like "Porky's" only show the funny or sleazy side. Still I find "Better off Dead" the most personal to me. Except for being a skier, I was just like John Cusack's character of Lane Meyer. I was so obsessed with a girl, that I had pictures of her everywhere. I was also a day dreamer who drew cartoons. And I had more than one friend like Charles Demar.
Archivist

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 03:55:52 AM »

One that often comes back to my mind is Can't Buy Me Love (1987) starring a very young Patrick Dempsey and Amanda Peterson.  A nerdy guy who desperately wants to be popular finds that the school's 'It Girl' is in desperate need of money.  So he uses the money that he'd been saving to buy a telescope to hire her to pretend to be his girlfriend.

She reluctantly agrees, and soon it is on.  She gives him a makeover, rips the sleeves off his shirt and runs mousse through his hair.  She finds out that he's a lot of fun, and he finds out that she's got a secret creative side.  But trouble strikes when her real boyfriend returns from college.

I haven't seen this movie since it was in the cinema in 1987, so my fond memories may be scattered if I ever see it again.  But then, and now in my memory, it is a sweet and wellmade 80's film with a typical happy ending.  And Amanda Peterson is HOT.

! No longer available Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:30:52 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »

3 O'Clock High (1987): I love this movie. Jerry (Casey Siemaszko) is the typical awkward high school student who has a run-in with the new ultra tough guy (Richard Tyson) with a legendary bad reputation and temper to boot, and spends the entire day trying to avoid the scheduled showdown after school. This movie is genuinely hilarious and pretty well written. I never even heard of it until it made it's way to cable.

I love this movie

Me too, I've actually just finished watching it.  Thumbup

One of my favorite 80s movies, and very under the radar.

Another one that I thought of that I'm not sure qualifies as a comedy (although it does make me laugh quite a bit) is White Water Summer.  Heh.
Archivist

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »

Perhaps straying from the original theme of teen comedies is another from 1987, The Woo Woo Kid.  Called 'In The Mood' in America and The Woo Woo Kid elsewhere, it is a movie set in the 1940's and tells the true story of a 14 year old who became involved with a number of married women!  It's another Patrick Dempsey movie like Can't Buy Me Love.

! No longer available Small | Large

Okay, totally not a teen comedy from the 80's, but at least marginally related by actor and time it was made!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:29:48 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »

I also love "The Last American Virgin." It's true it doesn't get shown as much as it should. I think it's like a darker "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" in that it is a very realistic view of teen sexuality. Both of these movies show the consequences and heartbreak of being a teen, while other movies like "Porky's" only show the funny or sleazy side. Still I find "Better off Dead" the most personal to me. Except for being a skier, I was just like John Cusack's character of Lane Meyer. I was so obsessed with a girl, that I had pictures of her everywhere. I was also a day dreamer who drew cartoons. And I had more than one friend like Charles Demar.

Indeed...very good take on The Last American Virgin. Y'know, being somewhat used to teen comedies by the time I was around 16 (1980) and seeing the other stuff that was out there, I knew there was a trainwreck waiting for the main character. Call it intutition, or whatever,  but there was darker tone that set this one apart from it's peer films.

And, the way the movie ends is just perfect, because it leaves it right there and leaves the viewer wondering whatever happened afterward. Sometimes you don't need a definite ending..

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Under the Radar Teen Comedies of the 80's « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.