Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:34 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The Thing (2011) Trailer « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Thing (2011) Trailer  (Read 9600 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« on: July 16, 2011, 06:27:32 AM »

Small | Large

I have high hopes...

(please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck...)

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:39:56 AM »

Bluesad

no words...
edit, well maybe one: why??

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »

She ain't no Kurt Russell, that's for sure. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pilgermann

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »

I love John Carpenter's film too much to give this one a fair chance.  I'll probably watch it, but I don't expect to be thrilled by it.  There's no way they'll top Bottin's effects for one thing.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:04:32 PM »

I love John Carpenter's film too much to give this one a fair chance.  I'll probably watch it, but I don't expect to be thrilled by it.  There's no way they'll top Bottin's effects for one thing.

I actually love the original The Thing [From Another World] too much to give John Carpenter's verison a fair chance... that and I can't stand intense gore.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »

I actually love the original The Thing [From Another World] too much to give John Carpenter's verison a fair chance... that and I can't stand intense gore.

John Carpenter's version is more true to the original John W. Campbell short story than the 1951 version.  I'm a fan of both of them.  As a plus, both have great scare moments that usually make first time viewers jump.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

Just a heads up: this is a prequel not a remake.  Not sure if that helps but it sounds like some of you thought this was a remake. Apparently this one is heavy on practical effects.   I am not impressed by the trailer though and have adopted a wait and see approach.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »

John Carpenter's version is more true to the original John W. Campbell short story than the 1951 version.  I'm a fan of both of them.  As a plus, both have great scare moments that usually make first time viewers jump.

True, I've heard the same about the faithfulness, but I just love the original more.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:56:16 AM »

Looks like a remake to me, plus they're just calling it "The Thing".  Lookingup

Basically, it looks like something that should just be going straight-to-DVD. It doesn't look that bad, I'll give it that, but everyone should just go and watch the 1982 version. Why waste your money?

Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »

Looks like a remake to me, plus they're just calling it "The Thing".  Lookingup

Basically, it looks like something that should just be going straight-to-DVD. It doesn't look that bad, I'll give it that, but everyone should just go and watch the 1982 version. Why waste your money?

It's a prequel, it explains what happened at the Norwegian camp. People can waste their money as they choose, I buy crappy VHS movies...you want to point out the fallacy in that?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »

Keep the posts polite.  You don't have to agree with someone, just keep the disagreement from becoming nothing more than insults.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »

Looks like a remake to me, plus they're just calling it "The Thing".  Lookingup
It's a prequel, it explains what happened at the Norwegian camp. People can waste their money as they choose, I buy crappy VHS movies...you want to point out the fallacy in that?
Trekkie313:  You see what our webmaster wrote?  You could be nicer. 
In your short history of giving karma, you have knocked almost twice as often as you've applauded, and with a handful of times you've hit either the applaud or smite button, that's a high percentage.  Just what a TROLL would do.  You are certainly making an effort to earn multiple enemies on this forum, aren't you?  Circus is one of our most respected members.  It is silly for you to knock someone for disagreeing or for voicing an opinion.  What are you trying to prove?  Cut the crap.  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:54:29 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »

Totally agree with that one.  In the original film, just the scene of James Arness (all 6 or 7 feet of him!) standing in the doorway as he walked towards the trap they laid for him was scary. He looked very menacing in that makeup.  I go for the original Howard Hawks film myself.

Also, The Thing was one of the more serious sci-fi attempts in the 50's, of which ther weren't many, save for stuff like The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »

Also, The Thing was one of the more serious sci-fi attempts in the 50's, of which ther weren't many, save for stuff like The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet.
Uhm, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, ON THE BEACH... even dopey (and maybe great) movies like THEM!  EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH , THE BLOB, etc. are all played seriously. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »

Uhm, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, ON THE BEACH... even dopey (and maybe great) movies like THEM!  EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH , THE BLOB, etc. are all played seriously. 

Agreed: the movies you mentioned took sci-fi somewhat seriously in their own way.

But with The Thing, there was a true sense of menace that set it apart from other films:

You had a huge (and very scary looking) humanoid beast terrorizing a group of people cut off from help in the most remote and desolate place on earth, biding it's time as it took the group down one at a time until it felt it was on equal footing with the survivors.

Overall, there's a true sense of cold, hard terror to it that the other movies didn't have, and there were no false pretenses with it, and no dashing, handsome two-piece suit scientists or glamorous leading ladies doing the rescuing. It was a true exercise in the unknown that set it apart from it's peer films.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The Thing (2011) Trailer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.