Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:36:33 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Restaurant says it has heard enough, bans kids « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Restaurant says it has heard enough, bans kids  (Read 11746 times)
claws
« on: July 17, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »

If your 5-year-old has a jones for the crab cakes at McDain's Restaurant, which the menu boasts are “The Best Around — Period,” you’d best take him or her there by Friday. Or be prepared to get the food to go.

Beginning Saturday, children 6 and under are no longer welcome at the restaurant in Monroeville, Pa., just outside of Pittsburgh. They’ve just become too much of a bother for the other customers.

Owner Mike Vuick built the neighboring golf center 22 years ago, then opened the restaurant nine years ago. Young children have become an increasing issue in that time, he says. But don’t accuse Vuick of hating kids — his problem is mostly with the parents.

“Parents have gradually diminished their cooperation,” he said, adding that the new policy is strictly in response to customer complaints.

“This is a three-part issue. One is the increasing number of small babies that can’t be controlled. They can’t be quiet and really they can’t be expected to.”

The second factor is kindergarten-aged kids who “have shown increasingly poor manners.” And lastly he blames parents, who “act like we’re the ones being offensive” when staff members ask them to calm their children down.

Vuick describes McDain’s as “upscale casual” and isn’t even sure why customers would want to bring their kids.

“This is a very genteel, quiet place. Very adult. We have 68 seats here, and 24 of them are in the bar.”

“If I had children of these ages I would never contemplate taking them to this place,” he said. "We've never even had a children's menu."

He let customers know about the impending policy in an e-mail. The response, he said, has been overwhelmingly positive.

“I’m looking at 419 e-mails in my inbox right now,” he said, saying the subject lines were along the lines of “Thank you” and “Nice job.”

Not everyone, of course, agrees. Pittsburgh TV station WTAE spoke to customer Stephanie Kelley, mother of a 13-month-old, who said she eats at McDain's weekly. Or used to.

“I can't believe this. I am offended. This is just an ignorant policy," Kelley said.

Vuick is unswayed. He expects no drop-off in business. And as far as state authorities have told him, his decision is completely legal.

“You know, their child — maybe as it should be — is the center of their universe," he told WTAE. "But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

Source: msnbc.msn.com

How many times have I watched a kid doing endless laps around a group of tables by us while the family sat in a different part of the restaurant?
This is what you get for not being able to control your off breed.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:46:01 PM by claws » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »

McDain's.....YOU RULE!  Thumbup

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »

Best restaurant ever, or best restaurant ever?

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:38:22 PM »

I'd make a special point of going there if it was anywhere in my area   Thumbup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:34 AM »

Makes sense to me.

Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »

I was out to dinner Sunday night, in an expensive restaurant, and there was a family with 1 small child (maybe 3 years old) who started the screaming thing...  Lookingup  Fortunately, through mollycoddling it quickly abated.   Hatred  It's unfortunate that people think it's appropriate to bring small children to a $65 a plate restaurant.  Who wants to listen to children screaming??  Thumbdown Bluesad

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »

People used to understand that there were places that were appropriate for kids and places that were strictly for adults. I know when my parents left us kids at home and went out for dinner with friends, they didn't go to the same places they took us to eat out as a family. And when we did go to a nice place, we were reminded that it was a nice place, and people were there for a pleasant dining experience, not to listen to noisy kids.

I'm all for taking kids to nice restaurants and introducing them to good food, but they have to be old enough to appreciate it. And that is not the motivation of most people, who just don't want to spring for a babysitter, and think they're entitled to take their family anywhere, without showing some consideration for other people. Yes, it's what they live with every day and it's no big deal to them, but that doesn't mean other people should feel the same way.

It's like people who insist on taking a baby to a movie. Or when I used to chair a big street dance in my hometown, and a few people always complained (sometimes quite angrily) that we didn't allow anyone under 19 into the beer garden. Seriously, there might have been a thousand people drinking and smoking and swearing and getting rowdy in there. Beer everywhere, and not nearly enough security to keep an eye on minors as well as adults. And people complain that they can't take the whole family in there.

The fact is, if you have small children, it's going to cramp your style a bit. There are going to be things you can't do and places you can't go as much as you used to. It's just something parents have to accept, and appreciate that parenthood does have its own rewards. But people always want to have it both ways.

It's just a shame it has to come down to an official policy. But that's the way it works. To paraphrase Edmund Burke, when control does not come from within, then it must come from without. If people want fewer rules, they need to take more responsibility and show more sense, which many are not doing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »

With three kids I can attest things can get rowdy.  HOWEVER, I have been known to yank my kids out of a place immediately after one improper outburst for discipline time.  Most parents won't do that out either out of ignorance or fear. 

I see no problem with this depending on the clientelle establishments are aiming in at.  There are just some places kids don't belong. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »

I see no problem with this depending on the clientelle establishments are aiming in at.  There are just some places kids don't belong. 

Absolutely. Plenty of family restaurants out there. If McDain's wants to cater strictly to an adult clientele, and they can make good money doing it, then more power to them.

It's kind of refreshing, when so many restaurants are cookie-cutter franchises that try to be all things to all people. Nice to see a restaurant deciding who its customers are and giving them the kind of dining experience they want.

---------------------
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »

Most of my friends are parents.  I am not, so this is just an outsider's perspective.  It seems like going out anywhere with small children is a lose-lose situation.  If you discipline them, you get busy-bodies criticizing you for being a bad parent.  If you don't discipline them, you get busy-bodies criticizing you for being a bad parent.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:54 AM »

Most of my friends are parents.  I am not, so this is just an outsider's perspective.  It seems like going out anywhere with small children is a lose-lose situation.  If you discipline them, you get busy-bodies criticizing you for being a bad parent.  If you don't discipline them, you get busy-bodies criticizing you for being a bad parent.
Yep...I've gotten so many dirty stares because I generally take no BS from my kids in certain surroundings.  I don't hit them but I will take them by an arm and discipline them in front of anyone.  You know, like a parent is supposed to.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »

It does go both ways, for sure. Parents can be inconsiderate of others when they take their kids someplace, but some of those people can also be a little too uptight as well. And it's not the restaurant staff's job to decide which it is in every single case, so I can appreciate the motivation behind McDain's new policy.

Again, it's a sign of the times that such choices must constantly be made. Not too long ago, the norm was that I would make some effort not to bother you any more than necessary, you would cut me a little slack, and everyone would get along. Seems like inconsiderate a$$holes are getting far more numerous in general these days, whether they think they have the right to disturb other people or they think other people have an obligation not to do anything that disturbs them. It's all about give and take, and people seem more and more to forget that they need to give a little.

---------------------
Damien Valley
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »

How much does anyone want to bet that someone with small kids will sue over this just to get free money? Lookingup
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »

How much does anyone want to bet that someone with small kids will sue over this just to get free money? Lookingup

I doubt it, since it would get tossed out of court and even if it didn't they'd end up having to pay court costs.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »

I doubt it, since it would get tossed out of court and even if it didn't they'd end up having to pay court costs.

Sounds like their lawyers checked the whole thing out ahead of time, so they should be fine.

I would, however, not be surprised if they get an occasional loudmouth who wants to make a scene after trying to bring their kids in and being turned away.

---------------------
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Restaurant says it has heard enough, bans kids « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.