Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:17:38 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I was wondering when it was going to show up . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I was wondering when it was going to show up . . .  (Read 5822 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: April 08, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »

Every year, at Easter, the networks toss out SOMETHING that claims to totally debunk the New Testament claims about Jesus, and specifically about His resurrection.  A few years back it was THE DA VINCI CODE, which, despite being clearly labeled as a work of fiction, and being about as historically accurate as a typical Harlequin Bodice-Ripper Romance, was treated with great seriousness and caused millions of people who read it to either reject or doubt the Gospels.  Then there was the TV special and attendant hooplah about the "Judas Gospel" - even its discoverers admit that it was written late in the Second Century AD (over 100 years after Jesus' time) and therefore could not have been by the Biblical Judas or by anyone who knew him - and once again it was hyped as overturning the traditional narrative of Judas betraying Jesus.  Then, of course, James Cameron did his special on "The Jesus Family Tomb" - claiming to have found the burial place of Jesus, his wife, his brother, and his child.  Even the archeologist who discovered the ossuaries at Talpiot said that he believed the burials there had no relation to the Biblical characters, and said the inscription on the ossuary said to have held the bones of Jesus was so worn that he could not say with any degree of certainty if the name on it was, in fact, "Jesus" or something else.  Of Cameron, he only said: "He's just pimping off the Bible to make money!"

So I've come to watch for it every year, and was a bit surprised that it didn't show up sooner. But then, there it was, this morning: a new book about the Shroud of Turin is on the shelves, and the author was giving interviews.  Initially, the story seemed positive towards faith: the researcher who wrote the book, a former agnostic, now believes that the Shroud is definitely the burial cloth that once held the body of Jesus (I have always been a bit skeptical of it, myself).  But the kicker comes when he explains the Shroud's significance: He said that when the women came to the tomb that first Easter morning and lifted the shroud from Jesus' body, the ghostly imprint on it would have seemed like an "ethereal presence" in the tomb and given rise to the myth that Jesus rose from the dead.  Later, when the Disciples of Jesus saw the Shroud, they too were convinced - as was the Apostle Paul, when the Shroud was shown to him.

REALLY??? Buggedout Question hot BounceGiggle

OK, let me get this straight: You go to the tomb and lift the sheet from the body.  The body is still there, but on the sheet is a bloody imprint of the form it was draped over.  You immediately jump to the conclusion that this must be a miracle and the man in the tomb must have risen from the dead - EVEN THOUGH his body is still right there on the slab???? That the religious leaders who crucified Jesus would have let the Apostles get away with talking about the Resurrection when they still had access to the body of Jesus and could PROVE that the Galileans were lying?   Or that Paul, who was a huge persecutor of the early church, would have become convinced that the Galilean heretic whose followers he sought to throw in jail was, in fact, the Son of God - because SOMEBODY SHOWED HIM A BLOODY CLOTH???  Not to mention that he would have had to completely fabricate the whole story of the risen Christ appearing to him on the Damascus road?

This has got to be the LAMEST attempt to explain away the Resurrection EVER.  The idea that these men would spin a tall tale of this magnitude based on a piece of cloth with an imprint on it, and then be willing to suffer martyrdom for proclaiming a resurrection that never happened, is so far-fetched as to be ridiculous.  The whole "Passover Plot" scenario made more sense than this steaming shovelful of academic you-know-what!!!!!

I know many people disbelieve the Biblical account of the Resurrection, and that is your right.  But this so-called "explanation" almost insults the intelligence of skeptics, much less believers.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »

Please, Indiana.  Bodice-rippers are way, waaaaay more historically accurate then the DA VINCI CODE.  I tossed the book as soon as it postulated that that was Mary Magdalene in the painting of the Last Supper.  So, then...where's John? Did Da Vinci choose to depict the moment in which John had excused himself to answer the phone?

As for the Shroud of Turin, I'm skeptical, if only from an artistic standpoint.  Going by the shroud, Jesus was eight feet tall and had his eyes up at his hairline. 

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »

Good point.  I don't actually READ Harlequin Bodice Busters, although I did read THE DA VINCI CODE. 
One of my biggest beefs with the Shroud of Turin is that it clashes with the description of the burial clothes left by John, who was the only one of the Gospel authors to physically enter the tomb that first Easter morning: he says that he beheld "the linen wrappings [note plural] lying there, with the cloth that had covered His face folded and lying apart."  Doesn't sound like one  16-foot long bedsheet to me!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »

Every year, at Easter, the networks toss out SOMETHING that claims to totally debunk the New Testament claims about Jesus, and specifically about His resurrection.  A few years back it was THE DA VINCI CODE, which, despite being clearly labeled as a work of fiction, and being about as historically accurate as a typical Harlequin Bodice-Ripper Romance, was treated with great seriousness and caused millions of people who read it to either reject or doubt the Gospels.  Then there was the TV special and attendant hooplah about the "Judas Gospel" - even its discoverers admit that it was written late in the Second Century AD (over 100 years after Jesus' time) and therefore could not have been by the Biblical Judas or by anyone who knew him - and once again it was hyped as overturning the traditional narrative of Judas betraying Jesus.  Then, of course, James Cameron did his special on "The Jesus Family Tomb" - claiming to have found the burial place of Jesus, his wife, his brother, and his child.  Even the archeologist who discovered the ossuaries at Talpiot said that he believed the burials there had no relation to the Biblical characters, and said the inscription on the ossuary said to have held the bones of Jesus was so worn that he could not say with any degree of certainty if the name on it was, in fact, "Jesus" or something else.  Of Cameron, he only said: "He's just pimping off the Bible to make money!"...
The name of "Jesus" was apparently common if spelled or pronounced right: Joshua or Yesua... as all the names of Jesus' family are also common.  Ossuaries are not rare either. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »

Exactly.  One commentator noted that approximately half of all Jewish women living in Judea in the first century were named Mary or Miriam or some derivative thereof, and about 1/4 of all Jewish men were named Yeshua (Jesus) or some variation on that name.  The Talpiot Tombs proved nothing about the Jesus of the Gospels.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I was wondering when it was going to show up . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.