Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:24:43 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Point Break(what do you think of this movie?) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Point Break(what do you think of this movie?)  (Read 3838 times)
Damien Valley
Dedicated Viewer

« on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »

A lot of people consider this a B-Movie and I've never understood that.  If people really watch it, it is actually a pretty smart movie with some cool symbolism in it.

All I ever hear is that it is a stupid surfer movie starring Keanu Reeves.  Well it really isn't.

Sure the sky diving scene may be a bit over the top but it's not like it isn't completely impossible.  Unlikely?  Sure but no where near like the last Fast and Furious movie.

I don't know.  This is one of my favorite movies and I don't think a lot of people even give it a chance because they see surfing and they see Keanu Reeves.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »

It's years since I saw it and I only saw it once, but I thought it was good.  Thumbup

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »

I like it. The dialog is really bad, but that is one of the things I like about it. Plus Gary is a legend. Fact!

claws
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »

Gloriously bad movie. It's just so earnest, but the concept, names, and dialogue are 100% corn.

A former good online friend of mine who pretty much had the same taste in bad movies as I do hated Keanu Reeves with a passion. About five years ago when Fox released the Point Break: Pure Adrenaline Edition DVD she was the happiest person on earth and bought the DVD day one of release. I was curious as in why she would buy a Keanu Reeves movie when she obviously hated his guts? So I also bought the DVD and gave it a spin (seen the movie years before and didn't think much of it).
Once the movie was over I was in tears from laughter. Here's a capsule review I did back then:

Kathryn Bigelow's Action-Thriller about bankrobbing surfers is very funny - especially if you happen to dislike Keanu Reeves and want to see him get abused. I don't hate him but it didn't stop me from laughing throughout the entire movie. The funny starts with Keanu Reeves' character name: FBI Agent Johnny Utah. He kinda screws up everything trying to nail surfing bankrobbers. He gets yelled at and called all sorts of names, is punched in the face by some random surfer and gets his ass kicked by a blond bimbo, then somebody throws a dog in his face (my favorite scene) and he injures his knee jumping from a wall. When his girlfriend wakes him by shooting a gun in his pillow I was spewing soda. Other stuff that killed me was Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers) having a seizure in bed and Patrick Swayze's spiritual blah about surfing. Then there was the naked ass clue when Gary Busey and Keanu Reeves examinate the security camera footage from the heist with one of the robbers exposing his naked ass (close-up of ass put on hold/pause), they come to the conclusion that the robbers must be surfers because of the tan-line above the ass. Later, when Keanu is blending in with the surfers one of the guys shows his naked ass again and one can almost spot a lightbulb going on above Keanu's head when he puts one and one together.

BounceGiggle

Point Break is hilarious when you watch it with that point of view.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »

I hate Keanu, but overall I like this movie, cheesy crime drama.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Vik
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »

I thought it was a pretty dull movie.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »

I'm sorry, but Point Break is f**king awesome! I would never consider it a B-movie by any stretch of the imagination, because of the names involved and the fact that it did do well at the box office. It has action, drama, comedy and a great soundtrack. It's the type of film you can just sit back with and take it as it is. Disengage your cynical, critical brains and enjoy the ride. It always manages to hold my attention and entertain me and I've see this movie over 20 times, despite being a Keanu hater! I've always thought it was a very good representation of early 90s cinema and I liked the mix of surf culture with crime/bank heists etc....Plus, Patrick Swayze is pretty damn hot in this.

TongueOut

Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »

This is the film that really put Keanu on the map. Bill and Ted's brought him notice. Point Break brought him stardom. I must be at 4 or 5 times viewing pleasure. I truely liked it, in a over the top manner. Given the storyline, the detest one has for most of the characters you still find yourself strangely attracted to them. The film is insane just take one of these scenes. The naked chick that gets the better of Keanu, the Red Hot Chili Pepper dude who shoots himself, the way people get shot is hilarious, Skydiving that lasts an eternity, for that matter them being able to talk to each other while skydiving and for added measure the lawn mower fight. add up to an assortment of zany good times. Reeves, Swayze and Busey all play caricatures. Good Times.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »

I'm sorry, but Point Break is f**king awesome! I would never consider it a B-movie by any stretch of the imagination, because of the names involved and the fact that it did do well at the box office. It has action, drama, comedy and a great soundtrack. It's the type of film you can just sit back with and take it as it is. Disengage your cynical, critical brains and enjoy the ride. It always manages to hold my attention and entertain me and I've see this movie over 20 times, despite being a Keanu hater! I've always thought it was a very good representation of early 90s cinema and I liked the mix of surf culture with crime/bank heists etc....Plus, Patrick Swayze is pretty damn hot in this.

TongueOut
Thumbup

major jay

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »

I need to see this.  Smile

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »

I've seen it on TV a few times. No classic,but a fun timewaster.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 08:50:07 AM »

Point Break not a b-movie on the surface because of stars like Keanu and Swayze, but underneath the surface beats the heart of a b-movie. The presence of Gary Busey, the performances by the supporting cast (especially the other members of the surfer gang), the dialogue, all of it reeks of b-movie. It is one of about three films starring Keanu Reeves that I can stomach, in part because I get to see him get his ass kicked by a naked chick. If that alone doesn't make it a b-movie I don't know what does.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
major jay

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »

Just watched this. The whole movie is great, but the last third is epic cheese.

JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »

Loved it  Cheers

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Point Break(what do you think of this movie?) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.