Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:23:08 AM
713336 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Angelina Jolie: My kids eat crickets « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Angelina Jolie: My kids eat crickets  (Read 6180 times)
claws
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »

When Angelina Jolie tells her kids to clean their plates, there very well could be an insect or two on them.

As she explained of her family's travels to Cambodia in a video for her Louis Vuitton Core Values shoot, she introduced her son Maddox, 9 - who's adopted from the country - and the rest of her brood to fried crickets.

"My boys love to eat crickets. It’s their favorite thing," she says.

"When I first gave it to them, I thought, I wanted them to understand culturally, I didn’t want them to be turned off by something that was their culture," Jolie goes on.

But when they began to get hooked on the crispy treats, she grew a little worried. "They ate them like Doritos and they wouldn’t stop. They brought to-go boxes home and I had to actually ban the cricket eating at a certain point because I was afraid they’d get sick from too many."

So when they returned to Cambodia for Jolie's Louis Vuitton shoot, she had a friend wrangle two to-go boxes of crickets and the family indulged on them right in the car.

"They're good - they are like a potato chip," she says. And while the actress and spokesperson has yet to taste some spider soup, "you gotta try everything," she adds.

Source: marquee.blogs.cnn.com

Bluesad
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »

Anybody going to chirp up on this story?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »

Nah, celebrity gossip bugs me. 

And I eat crickets

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:56:37 AM »

If the world made sense, everybody would be eating bugs.

They're pretty much pure protein, and they are the easiest thing to raise. Cattle are incredibly energy intensive, but everybody eats burgers. Insects take next to no effort, and they're healthier to eat.

But eating bugs is "weird."

If things go as I hope they will, everybody will be eating insects in the next ten years.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »

I don't eat weird stuff like that. I prefer normal food, like eggs that come from a chicken's vagina.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »

I don't eat weird stuff like that. I prefer normal food, like eggs that come from a chicken's vagina.
Technically, birds have cloacas which serve dual reproductive and excretory functions, so the eggs REALLY come from a chicken's...

Cloaca
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »

Ed, stop bugging Flick James. TongueOut

yeah no.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »

Small | Large

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »

Technically, birds have cloacas which serve dual reproductive and excretory functions, so the eggs REALLY come from a chicken's...

Cloaca
-Ed

You've ruined my perception of eggs. Now I won't be able to eat the damn things knowing they come out of a yucky cloaca. Thank you. Thank you very much. The list of things I can eat just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 02:54:12 AM »

As much as a fan I am of eating bugs (Seriously, folks, go eat them! Ants taste like lemons, tarantulas taste like crab, and scorpions taste like celery!), Jolie's actions here pretty much make her a horrible person.

There's no better way to cement in your children's heads "you're adopted" other than feeding them food from "their culture." Helpful hint, the culture of your children is your culture. Adopted or not, they should now be your children, not little strangers from other countries.

Then again, what do I know? I don't go around collecting orphan children.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 06:12:51 AM »

"EAT ME!"

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:13:38 AM »

Tommy and Dolly Moses: "AJ, your kids may eat crickets but our son plays cricket...."  TongueOut Twirling Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »

As much as a fan I am of eating bugs (Seriously, folks, go eat them! Ants taste like lemons, tarantulas taste like crab, and scorpions taste like celery!), Jolie's actions here pretty much make her a horrible person.

There's no better way to cement in your children's heads "you're adopted" other than feeding them food from "their culture." Helpful hint, the culture of your children is your culture. Adopted or not, they should now be your children, not little strangers from other countries.

Then again, what do I know? I don't go around collecting orphan children.

I've done quite a bit of studying on adoption, and in particular transracial and international adoption. My brother and his wife have a little girl from China. My wife and I have been planning to adopt as well, since her pregnancy with Rowan was a particularly difficult one. We were quite close to adopting from the southern US, where we most likely would have gotten a black son, so there was a lot of homework. That didn't work out because the laws changed, and we chose to pursue options within our own country, which included taking classes with the Children's Aid Society.

The current thinking is that when adopting, especially a child from a different race and culture, it actually does harm to try and completely assimilate them. In the old days, when people didn't even tell kids they were adopted, it made for a very painful surprise later in life. It's better that kids know all along they were adopted, and that they always have some tie to their own history. Many adopted kids struggle with their sense of identity, especially if they are obviously different from the rest of their family. They need to be fully a part of the family and the culture they live in, but their life before adoption can't just be left blank. To give them a cultural background they can be proud of, and share with the family, gives them a better sense of personal identity and equality in the family. They grow up understanding where they came from, and that it has value.

My neice, for example, speaks English around the house, just like Mom and Dad. She is also learning French, which is her mom's first language. Knowing both can be a great advantage professionally in Canada, and although a couple of years younger than Ro, she's quite bilingual. But they also want her to have the oportunity to learn Chinese as well, which besides being a useful language in business, is also a connection to the land and the culture she comes from. It really is quite beneficial.

These days, if it's possible, adoptive parents are even encouraged to build relationships with the biological family, but only if it's acceptable to everyone. Kids actually have a better sense of belonging if they grow up understanding where they came from.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »

As much as a fan I am of eating bugs (Seriously, folks, go eat them! Ants taste like lemons,

Hey you understand!! They do taste like lemons.
-Ed

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:27:46 PM »

Forgot to mention it earlier, but thanks for your informed response to my blithe comments, AndyC. They were quite informative, which I always appreciate.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Angelina Jolie: My kids eat crickets « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.