Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:46:28 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Thor (2011) - yes yes yes « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Thor (2011) - yes yes yes  (Read 8543 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

... actually I would have liked to have seen how they resolve the existence of Norse gods alongside Christianity, Judaism etc.

If I remember so, the Norse gods aren't really gods.  They are superhuman people from another plane of existances that came to earth long, long ago to fight those ice people attacking the world.  People worshiped them for saving them and they had abilities and techonology far superior to any of the people at the time.

I agree . . . they said something tho that effect in the movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 01:11:51 AM »

Saw the film 2 days ago.   Excellent!   It could have been so veeeeeery bad and campy, but they pulled it off well.  The romantic subplot was a bit feeble, my wife sez.  But the action was great, and the guy who played  Thor did a great job of playing the part straight and well.  (Same guy who played Kirk's dad, yes?)

Go see it, for sure.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 07:13:37 AM »

I just watched it over the past few days, verily much so I'm pleased with the film.  I think the casting was spot on and I was happy to see Ray Stevensen from Rome in his role.  He is a great actor.

The film also accomplished somehow linking the realm of Asgard into our reality with grace.  I wasn't sure how they would do it but they did.  Awesome film, probably the best so far of all the Avengers origin stories.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
akiratubo

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »

I thought it was ok.  Pretty standard stuff.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »

I liked most of it but I felt the third act was boring, predictable, and anti-climactic. I felt the thing was just filler for the Avengers.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »

It was a decent watch. Better than average for comic book movies, but then I'm not as big a fan of them as some. It followed the general mold of the comics that I remember reading as a kid, I will give it that.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »

... actually I would have liked to have seen how they resolve the existence of Norse gods alongside Christianity, Judaism etc.

If I remember so, the Norse gods aren't really gods.  They are superhuman people from another plane of existances that came to earth long, long ago to fight those ice people attacking the world.  People worshiped them for saving them and they had abilities and techonology far superior to any of the people at the time.

In the comics, they really are gods.  The marvel universe establishes as real quite a few gods and such - Hercules and Thor are buddies in Marvel, for example.  The ONLY god they don't seem to really definitively prove as real is the biblical one - probably because they don't want to touch the subject, but IIRC traditional vampires in Marvel are hurt by crosses, for whatever that tells you.

How all this works, I don't really know.  I figure it's like Discworld.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 02:20:48 PM »

We all loved it!  Thumbup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »

I like a lot of the more recent super hero movies, but this one honestly put me to sleep. Thor does some random sh¡!t on an ice planet, eats, breakfast, snore snores... Just watch Captain America and Iron Man

=== ===
           Go Robo!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 03:30:26 AM »

Pretty good. Not amazing, but pretty serviceable.

Chris Hemsworth does a great job as a viking transplanted to the real world, managing old world charm and chivalry in an age where it seems outdated. I'm glad I don't know this guy in real life, since every woman I know who has seen this film is entranced by the guy. Get used to being the "fat friend."

I liked it, and I really like the way these Marvel have been quietly creating a Marvel universe in film. I was wondering why they got Jeremy Renner to play a bit part before I realized he was Hawkeye.

My only quibble with the film is that Volstagg was not fat enough. "Do not mistake my appetite for apathy!" is a great line, but Volstagg is a big fat guy. I mean a huge fat guy, that's what's so lovable about him.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »

I found this movie lost something the second time around.  I saw it during its theatrical run, then I bought the 3-D blu-ray when it was released.  The second viewing wasn't nearly as interesting as the first.  maybe I didn't let enough time pass between the first time I saw it and the second.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »

I rarely read the THOR comic, generally encountering the character in THE AVENGERS. However, I was aware enough of the mythos to be able to appreciate the film; this WAS Thor, as envisioned back between the pages of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY.

My favorite line....
"He drank, he fought, he made his ancestors proud."

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

I rarely read the THOR comic, generally encountering the character in THE AVENGERS. However, I was aware enough of the mythos to be able to appreciate the film; this WAS Thor, as envisioned back between the pages of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY.

My favorite line....
"He drank, he fought, he made his ancestors proud."

THOR had some really good stories, especially in JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY and then in the first 5 or so years when THOR had is own book.  I especially liked the Jack Kirby artwork in some of those issues.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Thor (2011) - yes yes yes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.