Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:22:45 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  movies where you rooted for the bad guy « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: movies where you rooted for the bad guy  (Read 13352 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »

* BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID
* BONNIE & CLYDE
* THE WILD BUNCH

Of course, these movies portrayed the outlaws as likeable people who just happened to go around robbing and/or killing people.   TeddyR

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a great example. I love that movie. You can totally see how it was the product of the Spaghetti Westerns that blurred the lines between the good guys and the bad guys.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »

The Jackal.

There's a heap more, but they stand out right at the moment.

Great call.
wuatenigenu
New Visitor

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »

Titanic ... The bad guy being the iceberg!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »

How about SCARFACE.  Although, I guess Tony Montana was the "goodest" of the bad guys.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 06:54:06 PM »

How about Michael Douglas' character in Falling Down?

Although the majority of his actions weren't in good judgement, the scene where he beat the hell out of the two gang bangers with the sawed-off bat was worth it.

One thing about these sorts of movies-it's very hard to call some of the the bad guy when you see what they went through.

I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and also root for Captain Rhodes in the original Day Of The Dead because of his uphill struggle with the lunatic scientists, and the way he and his men suffered when they did their dirty work.

AND,as far as the living dead go, I tip my hat to Mr. Harry Cooper, for truly showing us that the cellar WAS the safest place after all.   Cheers

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
voltron

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »

Repulsion came to mind in a weird way. I wasn't rooting for the main character, but I did empathise with her. Ahhh....just thought of Maniac (1980) - you don't really root for Frank Zito but the movie tends to set you up almost to see things through his eyes in a twisted sort of way.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Vik
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 06:49:41 PM »

How about SCARFACE.  Although, I guess Tony Montana was the "goodest" of the bad guys.

I guess he doesn't really count as the bad guy, even though he does bad things, because he's the protagonist. I assumed the question of this thread meant: In what movies did you root for the person you weren't meant to root for?
 Cheers
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 07:19:17 PM »

Although the majority of his actions weren't in good judgement, the scene where he beat the hell out of the two gang bangers with the sawed-off bat was worth it.

That's what I liked about that movie. Bill Foster had, until that final day, endeavoured to do everything he thought he was supposed to do. He played by the rules, but the rules changed, his life fell apart, and he became this downtrodden nice guy with a lot of pent up rage. Aside from his more violent and psychotic moments, Foster comes across as a sane man trapped in an insane world. And it's hard not to applaud the targets he chooses, especially when they're usually provoking him. He spends the entire movie trying to quietly get where he's going, and people just won't leave him alone.

I love that part at the end, where Detective Prendergast confronts him and he seems almost confused. "I'm the bad guy? How did that happen?" It's also a beautiful parallel with Prendergast as another nice, old-fashioned guy, who takes everyone's abuse with a smile until he learns from Foster the importance of standing up for himself. It becomes kind of a "There but for the grace of God go I" sort of thing. A lot of people can identify with both these guys.

You can probably tell Falling Down is one of my all-time favourite movies.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:24:41 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »

I guess he doesn't really count as the bad guy, even though he does bad things, because he's the protagonist. I assumed the question of this thread meant: In what movies did you root for the person you weren't meant to root for? Cheers

it's open to interpretation in terms of who each one of us deems the bad guy

stating the obvious I was hoping for any bad guy to kill off Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd in Episode One

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »

Yeah, I agree with the interpretation that "good guy" and "bad guy" have more to do with a character's function in the story than whether they're good people. The protagonist is the good guy and the antagonist is the bad guy, even if the former is a criminal and the latter is a cop trying to catch him.

That was the problem I had with the tagline for Payback - "Get ready to root for the bad guy." Sure, he might be a career criminal and a genuine dirtbag, but if the story is written so that we root for him, he is, for all intents and purposes, the good guy. I like Payback, and thought about listing it here, but didn't. When you're supposed to root for the bad guy, he isn't the bad guy.

There aren't many movies where the protagonist was so unlikeable I cheered for the villain. Pacific Heights was definitely one, although back in 1990, yuppies just really p!ssed me off. Showgirls, on the other hand, is a good example of a movie where I just didn't like anybody, regardless of whether I was supposed to or not.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »

King Kong
Godzilla
The Ymir
Jason Vorhees

(Honestly most movie monsters)

Falling Down though is definitely the first film that came to mind...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »

X-Men: First Class
Magneto, in particular. The way that humans have treated mutants and general and the X-Men (who just prevented World War 3) in particular completely justifies his turn to "the dark side" at the end.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »

Ye-es!

I root for the villain about 38% of the time. Of course, that's in the books I've read. (46% of the time for the hero and 16% of the time for a character that is neither the hero nor the villain.) Films not so much, but there are still some film villains I've rooted for. So, here is . . .

the wouldn't
the shouldn't
the couldn't
and the misled.

Kurt Kelly (Lance Fenton) in "Heathers"
J. Douglas Williamson III (Ronald Sinclair) in "They Made Me a Criminal"
Scott Wormer (Devon Sawa) in "Now and Then"
and Edward Thompson (Stephen Geoffrey) in "Fright Night"
akiratubo

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »

The Matrix.  Neo and crew may be the least sympathetic "heroes" in all of movie history.  All the machines were doing was keeping humanity alive and happy.

There's an anime series called Megazone 23.  In the second episode, in particular, the "bad guys" were so sympathetic I didn't even realize they were supposed to be the bad guys.  It all of a sudden hit me, "Hold on, the movie wants me to be on the side of the biker gang?  $#@! that!"

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »

That's what I liked about that movie. Bill Foster had, until that final day, endeavoured to do everything he thought he was supposed to do. He played by the rules, but the rules changed, his life fell apart, and he became this downtrodden nice guy with a lot of pent up rage. Aside from his more violent and psychotic moments, Foster comes across as a sane man trapped in an insane world. And it's hard not to applaud the targets he chooses, especially when they're usually provoking him. He spends the entire movie trying to quietly get where he's going, and people just won't leave him alone.

Very good dissection of Foster's character. I liked when he apologized for the Uzi going off in the restaurant, and told everyone to get back to their meals. Another part shortly before or after sees him saying that he's "not really used to this sort of thing", so yes he was definitely not crazy, even if he showed some slightly sociopathic tendencies.

I love that part at the end, where Detective Prendergast confronts him and he seems almost confused. "I'm the bad guy? How did that happen?" It's also a beautiful parallel with Prendergast as another nice, old-fashioned guy, who takes everyone's abuse with a smile until he learns from Foster the importance of standing up for himself. It becomes kind of a "There but for the grace of God go I" sort of thing. A lot of people can identify with both these guys.

You can probably tell Falling Down is one of my all-time favourite movies.

I'd say, from what I've read, that FD is definitely a fave of yours,  Wink

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  movies where you rooted for the bad guy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.