Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:01:44 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What an awful and bizarre week . . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What an awful and bizarre week . . . .  (Read 2843 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: July 27, 2011, 01:22:17 AM »

It has definitely been a stressful and strange week or two here in the suburbs of Greenville, TX.  Last Sunday night, a few miles from my house, a young couple called 911 to say that the baby they were watching for their cousin had stopped breathing and they were going to take him to the hospital.  There was an ambulance nearby, as it happened, so the 911 operator directed them to meet the paramedics at a local overpass.  The paramedics found that the child had been dead for several hours from massive blunt force trauma to the head.  The police officer who investigated said that the child was the victim of the most brutal abuse he'd ever seen in his 20 years in law enforcement, and it looks as if the abuse had been going on for some time.  The couple that were caring for the child are facing capital murder charges, and are being held with $2 million bond till trial.
   Two days later, a much-loved local schoolteacher  was chased down by her estranged husband and gunned down in cold blood, with her children watching from the back seat of the car and the cops literally pulling up behind him as it happened.  He calmly surrendered and confessed on the spot.
  The next morning my mother-in-law, whom we live with, fell and broke her hip - actually, she broke the very top of the femur.  They had done a full hip replacement by that evening and she is now up and walking and giving the rehab nurses a fit.  She's  a feisty old gal and I love her dearly, it looks like she is going to be fine.  But still, it's made for a stressful week.
  Then on the news last night I saw that a man over in Dallas walked into his son's birthday party at the local skating rink, wished the boy a happy birthday, and then gunned down his wife and five members of his family, then shot himself.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CRAZY WORLD??????

On top of all that, we are now into the THIRD week of a home improvement project that was supposed to take three DAYS.  It has become a leech destroying the last few weeks of my summer vacation!
  Then finally, I got an email from my mom tonight that my Dad, who broke his hip in February and has had a very difficult recovery, fell again this evening.  I will have to go and stay with him in the morning while she goes in for a doctor's appointment.
It has just NOT been a good week at the ranch!

FRIDAY I am going to the lake and drown my troubles . . . or at least, that's the plan of the moment.

So how was your week?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:56:47 AM »

Wow. Sorry about yer Mother-in-law.
As for the psychos and the project taking too long-I think it's the heat. Makes people crazy and work a major undertaking. Heck,even walking the mile to work every morning is a chore.
 Here-beyond being really hot...ok (for once.)
Oh..except another body found in Hartford. That's 2 in 2 weeks.
Not counting the 2 dead women in Hartford from 2 seperate murders in Hartford from this spring.
Hartford is about 105 miles from here-the place is turning into Murder City,Van Buern County.

OH-THE WORLD IS BEYOND CRAZY. IT'S STARK RAVING MAD.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »

Sorry to hear about the troubles, friend.

You know, I sometimes contemplate the "is the world going crazy" question. After many such contemplations, I still haven't come to a conclusion. It's true that such events make one wonder.

Do these things just get reported more and we hear about them more because of the ease of information? Or do they happen more often than they did?

Do things happen in waves? I mean, there have been periods of madness in history with things like this happening or even worse.

I just don't know. Is society getting worse? Is it just the same as it's always been? Has it been worse at times than it is now?

After enough contemplation I tend to just give up and not let myself dwell on it, and make the best life for my myself and my family that I can.

I wish you a better week.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »

Then finally, I got an email from my mom tonight that my Dad, who broke his hip in February and has had a very difficult recovery, fell again this evening.  I will have to go and stay with him in the morning while she goes in for a doctor's appointment.
It has just NOT been a good week at the ranch!

I've been meaning to ask you how Dad is now, Indy: I'm sorry to hear that all is not well. Send him our best, our love and like Flick said, hope you have a better week.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

You should watch the local/regional commercials posted in the TV forum. They will cheer you up, I promise.

Smile

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:33:42 PM »

hey Indy,
 I think every once in a while everything piles up in one's geography.  You just had a perfect S***storm this week, only can up uphill from there eh?

Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:32:40 AM »

Spent the morning with my Dad.  I don't think this fall injured him, but it is breaking my heart to see this big, strong man I adore reduced to a shadow of who he used to be.  Bluesad He uses a walker and basically goes from his bed to his easy chair.  Mom pries him out of the house every two or three days, but every little trip exhausts him. 

My wife's mom, however, is making a great recovery and will probably be home in a couple of weeks.  And the Home Improvement Project From Hell is nearing conclusion, finally!!  (the "three day project" just finished its FIFTEENTH day!).  Best of all, my wife has agreed to let me go on an overnight arrowhead safari, leaving tomorrow evening.  Yeeehaw!  Life is looking up!! Cheers

(Oh, and to my knowledge, no one got killed within a 20 mile radius of my house in the last couple days!) TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:30:03 AM »

Spent the morning with my Dad.  I don't think this fall injured him, but it is breaking my heart to see this big, strong man I adore reduced to a shadow of who he used to be.  Bluesad He uses a walker and basically goes from his bed to his easy chair.  Mom pries him out of the house every two or three days, but every little trip exhausts him.

I can definitely sympathize with you. Watching your parents get old is a sad and sometimes scary thing.

My parents' health has been declining as well. My mom has had problems for years, but she is now in a nursing home at only 76. And my dad, who has always exercised, was pretty sharp, and used to have a reputation as one seriously tough cop, has been declining faster of late. Angina, a couple of little strokes, and some obvious signs of failing memory and mental faculties. And he just doesn't feel like doing anything anymore. Mom at least has an active social life where she is, and seems happy. Dad is more like me - introverted and reluctant to open up to people. He's perfectly aware of what's happening to him, and I think he's largely just given up to quietly await the inevitable.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »

You should watch the local/regional commercials posted in the TV forum. They will cheer you up, I promise.

Smile

I haven't seen any of the commercials, but one of my inside sources confirmed that Indy's home improvement project is going just fine  BounceGiggle

Small | Large

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 12:00:57 AM »

Sadly, humankind has a savage history.  I think the concept of terror is what is maddening; we can communicate all thoughts and deeds in milliseconds, so everything is available to peruse, refuse, or disabuse.  Telecommunication complicates our lives, but people are as cruel, evil, and savage as ever.  God help us, I think just mass communication is the difference.  People have always killed each other, and often cruelly or savagely. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:06:27 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:47:15 AM »

Sadly, humankind has a savage history.  I think the concept of terror is what is maddening; we can communicate all thoughts and deeds in milliseconds, so everything is available to peruse, refuse, or disabuse.  Telecommunication complicates our lives, but people are as cruel, evil, and savage as ever.  God help us, I think just mass communication is the difference.  People have always killed each other, and often cruelly or savagely. 

What upsets me more than anything else, is the thing in Indy's inaugural thread about the baby with blunt force trauma to his head.  Why? Why babies?

And that young boy who now is struggling to understand why his father killed 5 members of his family and himself (again, see inaugural post.) Now, there's a kid without parents, possibly with PTSD for the rest of his life, as well as asking why.

If it were sickness, or an accident, it's at least more understandable and accepted. But when it's senseless and needless (as these two things) it leaves you struggling even more to understand...

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What an awful and bizarre week . . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.