Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:20:53 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Super 8 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Super 8  (Read 4168 times)
Vik
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »

I was convinced that there was already a thread for this but I can't seem to find it... Anyway, I just got back, and loved it. The kid actors were great, and I felt they were relatable, being a filmmaker since I very young as well.  Thumbup Thumbup
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »

I bought the blu-ray over the weekend and watched it with my wife last night.  We both thought it was decent, but nothing spectacular.  I enjoyed the scenes of the kids making their Super 8mm zombie movie and the completed movie they showed over the end credits more than the whole alien/military cover-up plot.  I give it 2.5 out of 4 stars.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »

I've had it described to me like this (paraphrasing a bit):

"It's a tribute to those wonderful 80s movies like Goonies, E.T., and Monster Squad!  See it now!"

I've also had it described to me like this (still paraphrasing a bit):

"It's a ripoff of those retarded 80s movies like Goonies, E.T., and Monster Squad.  Don't bother seeing it."

I will see Super 8, eventually, but my reaction will probably be closer to the latter.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:47:16 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »

Haven't seen it yet....wasn't that excited about it....but I may still rent it anyway.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

"It's a tribute to those wonderful 80s movies like Goonies, E.T., and Monster Squad!  See it now!"

"It's a ripoff of those retarded 80s movies like Goonies, E.T., and Monster Squad.  Don't bother seeing it."

I will see Super 8, eventually, but my reaction will probably be closer to the latter.
It's worth just skipping to the end credits (that's not sarcasm, the best scene in the movie really is during the credits). Other than that, I'm the latter.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
dean

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »

I enjoyed it more on a second viewing, strangely enough, after I bought it on blu-ray on a whim.  I found it to be quite enjoyable but missing the charm of the 80s movie examples it compares itself to.  This is possible because they were filmed in the 80s set in the 80s whereas Super 8 is a 'period' film. 

Anyways, the interactions with the monster is a bit iffy, but it had some great scenes and some genuinely 'jumpy' scares that I wasn't expecting first time around.  And plenty of lens flare, just in case you forgot it was a JJ Abrams movie.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »

It's on the to-view list I got for the year.  I need to watch more things this year that wasn't animated or involved superheroes.  I'll get back to you on my thoughts regarding this.

"It's a tribute to those wonderful 80s movies like Goonies, E.T., and Monster Squad!  See it now!"

"It's a ripoff of those retarded 80s movies like Goonies, E.T., and Monster Squad.  Don't bother seeing it."

Since I've seen none of those movies at all, I won't be able to compare this film to any of those.  Ha!  No bias!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:33:21 PM »

My family and I watched this last night, and loved it!  My daughter in particular was entranced by it.  I thought the young girl who played Alice had far and away the best performance in the whole film.  Definitely worth the rental!  Now I need to go back and watch the credits to see the kids' movie within the movie!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »

I thought the young girl who played Alice had far and away the best performance in the whole film.

Interestingly enough, Alice is played by Elle Fanning.  I guess after The Nutcracker: The Untold Story, she wanted to find a good movie as quickly as possible so no one would remember her in that film.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »

I thought the young girl who played Alice had far and away the best performance in the whole film.

Interestingly enough, Alice is played by Elle Fanning.  I guess after The Nutcracker: The Untold Story, she wanted to find a good movie as quickly as possible so no one would remember her in that film.

Elle Fanning is a great young actress, NUTCRACKER aside.  I agree with Indy, Fanning was great.  She was also superb in PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND as a little girl with obsessive-compulsive disorder.  Better actress than her sister.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »

Elle Fanning is a great young actress, NUTCRACKER aside.  I agree with Indy, Fanning was great.  She was also superb in PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND as a little girl with obsessive-compulsive disorder.  Better actress than her sister.

I would have to see a few more movies with Elle in it to say she is better than her sister.  The thing with Dakota is that she doesn't seem to end up getting the right movies to stretch and show what she can really do, like with Twilight saga and The Cat in the Hat (though she was the best and most entertaining person in that movie to be sure).  If she gets into the right role, she's pretty damn good.

InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »

Just got finished watching the thing.  This was a lot of fun, more so than that other movie I watched recently with Elle Fanning.  I enjoyed the characters (though some needed more fleshing out), the acting (one or two line blunders in the film), I enjoyed the setting, and I enjoyed a lot the action.

What I truly liked about the film was the fact that for the most part, the alien was kept off screen or in the shadows.  This way, it made everything feel creepier and more mysterious to what the thing actually looked like.  That's an area where I think where Don't Be Afraid of the Dark failed a bit.

I wasn't too keen too much on the ending where....   SPOILERS!!!!

...everyone just watches the alien take off back into space and then cut to credits.  I don't know, I felt that there were still a couple of loose ends left that could have been wrapped up somewhat.  It's sort of like Close Encounters of the Third Kind in that sense with a sort of abrupt ending.

END SPOILERS

Still, I enjoyed this movie a lot and had a good time watching it.  I think Attack the Block was a bit better than this one, but I still had a lot fun with it.  I'm giving it a 8 out of 10.

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:20 AM »

Just watched it. It was decent, but not exactly spectacular. I think JJ Abrams went over board on the explosions at some points, the train crash was a ridiculous amount of things blowing up. Also someone needs to tell that guy to lay off the god damn lens flare, it was so annoying having these big blue streaks just show up randomly through out the movie.

Another part that bothered me was that I never got a good look at the monster. They made everything so dark that it was impossible to see what it looked like, even on the close ups.

Other than that the story was decent and the kid actors were really good.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Super 8 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.