Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:49:14 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Would love to get some comments on these films please « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would love to get some comments on these films please  (Read 4441 times)
Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« on: July 30, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »

I haven't seen any of these and was wondering if I could get some comments on them. Much appreciation in advance, thanks.

Walking Tall (Original)
The Devil Rides Out
Stage Fright (1987)
10 to Midnight
The Pack
At Earth's Core (1976)
Godzilla (1954)
Frankenhooker
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »

Well i'm not knowledgeable on many of these other then Godzilla. Its essential viewing as long as you get the 2 disc edition with both versions of the film.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:54:41 AM »

I've only seen Frankenhooker. It's certainly not a great film, but it is very good at being what it is, which is an absolutely ridiculous piece of sleazy b-movie.

I recommend it.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:15:37 AM »

I've only seen Frankenhooker. It's certainly not a great film, but it is very good at being what it is, which is an absolutely ridiculous piece of sleazy b-movie.

I recommend it.

Seconded.

I've never been a GODZILLA fan, so I'm not the person to ask on that one.  Note that the Japanese version (GOJIRA) and the American version with Raymond Burr are very different.  The Japanese is more "serious" sci-fi, not much like the sequels.  The US version cuts out a lot of the backstory and focuses on monster mayhem.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »

Thirded, Frankenhooker is perfect B-movie night fodder with friends who like to yell at the screen.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »

I've only seen Walking Tall and I love it. The remake was a joke, check the original if you like Hicksploitation  Thumbup

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »

Godzilla is must see IMO. At the Earth's Core I thought was fun but a lesser effort. Haven't seen the others but have been hearing for years about how great The Devil Rides Out is.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 06:46:23 AM »

GODZILLA is classic-and yes-the Japenese version is better.
WALKING TALL is a great hillbilly/revenge film
AT THE EARTHS CORE is silly-but fun. Peter Cushing is great,as always. The flying bat/dinosuaur thingies are ridiculous! BounceGiggle
The DEVIL RIDES OUT-The effects are a little dated-but Lee is wonderful-playing the hero,for once!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

Walking Tall (1973)

Hicksploitation/hillbilly revenge...my ass; it's amazing that almost any movie outside of white suburban America gets categorized into a stereotype.

I saw this at the drive-in when it was originally released; and yes, it was a drive-in in the south, just in case anybody needs to know. Amazingly it was on a double-bill with Vampire Circus.

Walking Tall is a rousing film that's ideal for those who want to see someone stand up against local corruption in a small town; and contrary to what quite a few people like to think about idyllic small town America, small town America is corrupt.

What sets this apart from other films of its ilk, aside from being based on a true story, is production values in sync with Hollywood and not grindhouse, a powerful performance by Joe Don Baker, a lingering sleaziness and meanness in the film without degrading to simply being nasty, and of course the action sequences such as head bashing, car chases, and the such; the ambush at the end of the movie is definitely brutal.

The Pack (1977)

Yes, another Joe Don Baker movie. Pretty standard for its time. Follows the familiar storyline of people in an isolated setting having to deal with and survive an unusual situation. A similar premise is used in Night of the Living Dead and in The Birds; in this case, the enemy is a pack of wild dogs.

As with many movies in the 70s we have a message of humanity as an undertone, and unlike a zombie movie, but perhaps like The Birds, there is a potential for overcoming the situation.

Perhaps not as classic or trend setting as the aforementioned movies, but it's not a flop as it succeeds in entertaining.

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »

Walking Tall (1973)

Hicksploitation/hillbilly revenge...my ass; it's amazing that almost any movie outside of white suburban America gets categorized into a stereotype.

I saw this at the drive-in when it was originally released; and yes, it was a drive-in in the south, just in case anybody needs to know. Amazingly it was on a double-bill with Vampire Circus.

Walking Tall is a rousing film that's ideal for those who want to see someone stand up against local corruption in a small town; and contrary to what quite a few people like to think about idyllic small town America, small town America is corrupt.

What sets this apart from other films of its ilk, aside from being based on a true story, is production values in sync with Hollywood and not grindhouse, a powerful performance by Joe Don Baker, a lingering sleaziness and meanness in the film without degrading to simply being nasty, and of course the action sequences such as head bashing, car chases, and the such; the ambush at the end of the movie is definitely brutal.

That was a great review, Dr. Menard  TeddyR

I got to see Walking Tall back in the day myself, and later on, like you, have come to appreciate what it stands for. There is no doubt that small towns have their fair share of hypocritical corruption. A corruption that, more times than not, is on par with and equal to the type we see in Congress despite the smaller demographic it occurs in.

I've often thought of the character of Buford Pusser as the cop version of Billy Jack, who also took the law into his own hands on an unpreecedented level in his own series of movies.

As to the "meanness factor", I couldn't agree more: be it Cool Hand Luke, Billy Jack OR Walking Tall, the mean streak that pervades small towns across America was given serious treatment far beyond the definition of "Hicksploitation". There was nothing B-Movie or Hick about it.

The only film that could possibly rival it on the criteria you outlined would be Deliverance.    Again, great review  Cheers

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »

^ Good review. I'm jealous that others had a chance to see this on the big screen, wish I could. I'm proud to say that I have taken a tour of Bufords house and quite enjoyed that.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »

Walking Tall (Original) - Drive-in movie classic.  B-movie heaven.  I've seen it many, many times.

The Devil Rides Out - Haven't seen it.

Stage Fright (1987) - Haven't seen it.

10 to Midnight - Typical Bronson flick.  But far better than anything he did toward the end of his career.

The Pack - Nothing special here.  But an okay time-waster if you have nothing better to do.

At Earth's Core (1976) - Basically aimed at 12-year-old kids (or maybe 8-year-old kids). Harmless fun.

Godzilla (1954) - A must-see, even though it isn't a very good movie.

Frankenhooker - Haven't seen it (and I'm ashamed to admit this)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:49:39 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »

As to the first Godzilla film, all I have to say is thumbs way up!

It was a great movie in either the American or Japanese release,  with more of a sense of tragedy in the Japanese film. The Japanese film also showed a remarkable strength and unity among the Japanese, despite a thin bubble that was ready to burst and set their progress back to post-war levels, and then some.

The love triangle between Emiko (Momoko Kochi) and her arranged fiance' Serizawa
(Akihito Hirata) and her secret lover (played by Akira Takarada) was also a real sad number.

Not only does Serizawa have the weight of possible post-Godzilla mis-use of his Oxygen Destroyer by another nation (or his own) but her has the pain of finding out his childhood friends betrayed him.

Very entertaining, and yet very depressing on many levels.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 08:13:28 PM »

As to the first Godzilla film, all I have to say is thumbs way up!

It was a great movie in either the American or Japanese release,  with more of a sense of tragedy in the Japanese film. The Japanese film also showed a remarkable strength and unity among the Japanese, despite a thin bubble that was ready to burst and set their progress back to post-war levels, and then some.

The love triangle between Emiko (Momoko Kochi) and her arranged fiance' Serizawa
(Akihito Hirata) and her secret lover (played by Akira Takarada) was also a real sad number.

Not only does Serizawa have the weight of possible post-Godzilla mis-use of his Oxygen Destroyer by another nation (or his own) but her has the pain of finding out his childhood friends betrayed him.

Very entertaining, and yet very depressing on many levels.

I have never seen the original Japanese version, and it's been so long since I have seen Godzilla.

I originally saw Godzilla on TV way back when. Brings back memories of being a child growing up in the late 60s and early 70s. TV was quite different back then and a lot of what this site celebrates in cinema was our standard diet of movies on TV.

We had Shock Theater and Saturday afternoon movies; usually some b-movie, classic horror, or giant monster movie. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, Gamera, Godzilla; these were the characters which filled our movie watching weekends and our imaginations.

Those were the days also of I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, The Munsters; TV fueled our imaginations and we were young enough to believe in things like magic and monsters.

Those were the days in a certain way, but not much to pine for. TV and movies occupied a child's fantasy, while that child could not even remember his father's face, waiting for him to come home from Thailand, during the Vietnam War.

I remember differences in how the black kids and white kids in school, though there was an integration, were treated differently in certain respects, as well boys and girls were too. It was not an unfortunate time to grow up as through my years of school, I was in a progressive era in the 70s as we saw a huge leap in social progress. Certainly we have not eliminated old ways, but we have definitely made progress, and perhaps in one respect I have been lucky to see social change over 4 decades.

This is not a reflection on life so much as just a remembrance of movies and the memories they can bring back. Sometimes they're not just images moving at frames per second on a screen, but often a product of their time, and especially for the young, or the young at heart, they can be something which fills voids, distracts from unpleasantries, and even holds the keys to the good things we remember.

Just sayin'...b!tches (so I'm not being too out of character)  TongueOut

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »

I've only seen Frankenhooker and I thought it was really solid piece of entertainment.

4/5

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Would love to get some comments on these films please « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.