Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:34:59 AM
713399 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Anne Hathaway as Catwoman « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anne Hathaway as Catwoman  (Read 14388 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 06:25:39 AM »

I really don't think it's that bad, certainly not something I would refuse to watch the movie over.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 06:52:43 AM »

I think I'm going to give this Batman film a miss...

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »

I'm still going to see it for Bane.  But I know I'll be let down........and that p!sses me off already.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »

Oh, her mask is so high tech'...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 09:04:07 PM »

People here have been complaining the costume isn't completely accurate to the original source material.  You know, even if a costume looks similiar to its comic counterpart, that doesn't mean it garantees a good movie like you all seem to be implying.  Remember this?

Purple condom man to the rescue!

Or remember this classic?

Monologue the movie!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »

^ Sorry to disagree with you, but at least they try to keep it somewhat cartoonish.

yeah no.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »

that doesn't mean it garantees a good movie like you all seem to be implying.

It doesn't guarantee a good movie, but it does reflect the attitude of the filmmakers toward the source material and the audience, and it's not a bad indicator of whether we're going to get what we paid to see. These stories and characters are popular for a reason, and there are limits to how much you can change them and still honestly call them the same. It's not about the competence of the filmmakers or the quality of the film. It can be good and also respect the source material.

Let's put it in perspective. If, for the sake of realism, you decide to take away everything catlike about Catwoman's costume, and give her a generic movie burglar/commando outfit, why stop there? The one thing left that is silly and unrealistic is Batman himself, running around dressed as a bat in a costume that doesn't look very comfortable or very practical. He seems even more out of place in a movie where everyone else has been stripped of most of their comic book attributes. Why not just dress Batman up in a black jumpsuit with regular body armour, a mess of weapons strapped to him and a simple black spandex cowl over his head? Because he wouldn't be Batman. He might kick serious ass. He might be a great character in a great movie, but he wouldn't be Batman. He would be completely unrecognizable. And if you're a fan of Batman, and Batman is what you want to see, you can't be blamed for being disappointed if somebody takes the liberty of redesigning him in a way that ignores some of the most basic attributes that make him Batman.

I'm not against updating or reinterpreting a great story, but as far as I'm concerned, if the source material isn't good enough to adapt at least somewhat faithfully, then don't use it. If you want to be original, then be original. Make your own movie the way you want to make it. If you want to tell the same story in a different way, then do that and call it what it is. If you are determined to make a straight adaptation, then show some respect for the source material and all of the work that has preceded yours, and keep your creativity within certain established parameters. I don't care if somebody wants to go crazy with a redesign, but if I can't look at an established, even iconic character and figure out who it is without being told, that's too much artistic licence. And that is the case with both the Bane and the Catwoman we've seen.

And I most certainly object to making superhero movies look just like every other action movie. Same with stripping the James Bond franchise of everything that was classy and fun and over-the-top about it. There's nothing left but another generic action movie.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:52:01 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »

And if you're a fan of Batman, and Batman is what you want to see, you can't be blamed for being disappointed if somebody takes the liberty of redesigning him in a way that ignores some of the most basic attributes that make him Batman.

Being a Dredd fan I understand this completely.

We had ten minutes of Dreddness in the '95 flick, then the helmet came off, then the rest of the uniform, then he stopped being a Judge which is kinda why people paid money to see a Judge Dredd film in the first place!!!!

What we had was 80 minutes of Stallone running around saying silly lines with Rob Schnider.

Let it go, Doggett... Let it go.

Anyway...
There comics have lasted a long time for a reason and thats becuse they work well the way they are. I'm not saying go overboard with the comic characteristics, but don't be ashamed of them either.
Batman Returns is my fave flick because it was eveything I see when I read a Batman Comic. Its clearly not a film for all tastes, but it least it tries.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »

I'm not saying go overboard with the comic characteristics, but don't be ashamed of them either.

That puts it very well.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Anne Hathaway as Catwoman « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.