Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:23 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What Movies Would Benefit From Being On Blu-Ray? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What Movies Would Benefit From Being On Blu-Ray?  (Read 11496 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: August 05, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »

Now I have a Blu-Ray player and... 2 movies to go with it.  I've been looking to expand it's library, but only with movies that would do better to be on the player.  I assume movies big on the effects, like Avatar or Scott Pilgrim, or with a very impressive visual style, like Dick Tracy or Legend of the Guardians, would benefit from being on the player.

What movies do you think would be best for a blu-ray player in your opinion?  I'm not looking for anything specifically, just any movie or kind of movie that you can think of.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »

for me the difference between The Dark Knight on blu ray and normal DVD is amazing

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »

Battle of the Bulge (1965) looks pretty terrific on Blu ray.  The 2.76 : 1 aspect ratio and perfect amount of grain made me feel like I was sitting in the theater when it first premiered.  The only problem was the red collars on some of the German uniforms, which stood out like neon signs.  A bit too much color correction there I think.

Forbidden World (1982) also looks a whole lot better on Blu ray than DVD, but only because the DVD is terrible. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:52:25 PM »

I've noticed that the PS3 makes DVDs look better than usual...I only own an handful of Blu-Rays yet and I just don't feel right getting something I already have on DVD on Blu-Ray. Just seems unnecessay more oft than not...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
claws
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

The Shining (1980) - Looks like it was filmed yesterday.
Pilgermann

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

Ditto on The Shining, one of my favorite videos I own!

I'm in the camp that thinks almost any film can look better on Blu-ray as long as it's encoded well and hasn't had a bunch of digital manipulation.  Even a cruddy old print can at least look more like what you'd see in a decent theater.  Here are some nice ones based on stuff I own:

2001: A Space Oddyssey
Pretty much anything from Pixar.
The Searchers - Don't know if you dig Westerns.  This isn't a favorite of mine but it looks pretty amazing.
The Evil Dead - For a film shot on 16mm blown up to 35 it looks great.
Coraline
District 9
Inglourious Basterds
The Thin Red Line - Incredibly beautiful image on this one, but I know the film's not everyone's taste.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »

Coraline

Oh hell yeah!   Thumbup

I forgot all about that film.  Seeing it so many times in regular format, I would love to see what it would be like with a visual enhancement to it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:03:35 PM »

Ill go over my must sees.

2001 a space odyssey is amazing
The 5th and 6th harry potters look great.
The original Halloween looks like it was made this year
Troll 2  TeddyR
The Day the Earth Stood still looks amazing and is a great way to see how good Black and White movies will look.
The Dark Knight
Inception
EDIT - Forgot to mention that any Pixar movie looks gorgeous.

Honestly almost every movie looks better on BD.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:21:49 PM by Criswell » Logged

Vik
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 02:56:35 AM »

I imagina Fear and Loathing in las Vegas is great on Bluray.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 10:49:49 AM »

I bought FULL METAL JACKET on blu-ray.  The detail and colors are amazing.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »

Pretty much any movie that is visually stunning in any way, whether it be due to effects or cinematography. I recently watched The Godfather, parts I and II in Blu-Ray and thought the experience was fantastic. I've got Apocolypse Now coming from Netflix in Blu-Ray and look forward to it.

Movies like The Lord of the Rings or Inception are kind of obvious and I like watching them in Blu-Ray, but I actually get a bigger kick out of seeing some of the more visually stunning classics. For example, I would love to see something like Patton in Hi Def.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »

I've been thinking of breaking down and getting Inception on Blu Ray even though I already own it for a normalp layer. I imagine it would look 300 times as amazing.

In addition to what has already been mentioned I'm guessing The Matrix, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, and Terminator 2 would all look spectacular on Blu-Ray.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »

I've been thinking of breaking down and getting Inception on Blu Ray even though I already own it for a normalp layer. I imagine it would look 300 times as amazing.
In my opinion I think Inception looks amazing. Likely it looks even better then The Dark Knight.

voltron

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 11:49:29 PM »

Said it before, but I have yet to buy a bluray player because it's still in it's early stages and most movies I want to see aren't on bluray as of yet.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 06:05:37 AM »

Said it before, but I have yet to buy a bluray player because it's still in it's early stages and most movies I want to see aren't on bluray as of yet.
5 years I don't think is early stages, and you'd be surprised at whats on Blu-ray now.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What Movies Would Benefit From Being On Blu-Ray? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.