Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:53:19 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What Movies Would Benefit From Being On Blu-Ray? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What Movies Would Benefit From Being On Blu-Ray?  (Read 11498 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »

Said it before, but I have yet to buy a bluray player because it's still in it's early stages and most movies I want to see aren't on bluray as of yet.
5 years I don't think is early stages, and you'd be surprised at whats on Blu-ray now.

I agree.  I just got my first blu-ray player about a month ago and I'm surprised at how many movies are available.  Also, most of the "bugs" that were reported in early blu-ray players seem to have been fixed.  I'm very happy with mine.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »

Yeah the new ones are a lot better, the one I bought two years ago that I have in my room is really big and takes a few minutes to load a disc. and the one in my families living room from this year, while its still one of the cheaper ones will load the disc before you walk back to your chair.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »

Yeah the new ones are a lot better, the one I bought two years ago that I have in my room is really big and takes a few minutes to load a disc. and the one in my families living room from this year, while its still one of the cheaper ones will load the disc before you walk back to your chair.

I also read the early blu-ray players had trouble playing regular DVDs.  Some couldn't play about 15% of all DVDs.  That would mean about 500 of my DVDs would be unplayable.  So far, I haven't had any problem playing any DVDs or DVD-Rs on my blu-ray player.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »

It might be quicker to talk about movies that wouldn't benefit from being put on Blu-ray.

*TV shows produced before the advent of high definition.
*Anything shot-on-video.
*Older movies with bad quality prints that haven't been restored.

Anything else?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »

It might be quicker to talk about movies that wouldn't benefit from being put on Blu-ray.

*TV shows produced before the advent of high definition.
*Anything shot-on-video.
*Older movies with bad quality prints that haven't been restored.

Anything else?

Actually the TV thing is partially not true, if the show was shot on film it would look good. For Example, I don't own them but the Twilight Zone Blu-Ray's have excellent reviews.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twilight-Zone-Season-1-Blu-ray/11231/

But yeah something from the 80s would likely look bad.

Movies that are meant to look bad, like the Blair Witch project.

And don't question against getting a movie because its old, something with great restoration work will look amazing, Seven Samurai is from 1954 and it looks amazing. Heck even silent films can look good.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »

Deep Throat?

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »

I've been thinking of breaking down and getting Inception on Blu Ray even though I already own it for a normalp layer. I imagine it would look 300 times as amazing.
In my opinion I think Inception looks amazing. Likely it looks even better then The Dark Knight.

That's very hard for me to imagine.  Buggedout

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

I'm guessing that the original Star Wards trilogy would look awesome in Bluray, even the versions with the "improvements" Lucas made to them.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »

The prequel trilogy i'm guessing will look really good too, picture quality wise not movie quality. Heck Transformers 2 looks amazing on blu-ray.

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »

I guessing Batman Begins would also look stunning on Blu-Ray

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »

I guessing Batman Begins would also look stunning on Blu-Ray
Honestly I think it looks kinda sub-par. It looks miles better then the DVD, but it feels kinda flat and not as detailed as many blu-rays. Don't get me wrong, it looks good and is worth buying. But it doesn't look amazing.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

Lawrence of Arabia

LAWRENCE. OF. ARABIA.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 09:43:59 PM »

I'm betting Avatar looks great too

Jim H

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »

I'd like to add in here that just because something is older doesn't mean it won't benefit from Bluray...  35MM film from 1937 still is technically of higher quality to a significant degree (in most ways) than 1080P.  Yeah, it can be grainy, but that's part of the look.  35MM film stock is amazing stuff really, it's incredible how well it has held up for so long, to the point where even 4K digital isn't better in every way than the best film stocks.  Keep in mind 35MM film (the basic format, anyway) is over 110 years old.

And, of course, 70MM stuff will look great but is technically FAR higher res than 1080P.  So, you might try looking for stuff shot on that, either completely or partially.  The Dark Knight is a newer example, as was (yeah, I'll say it) Transformers 2.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 01:13:20 AM »

Shutter Island?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What Movies Would Benefit From Being On Blu-Ray? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.