Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:28:00 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  YellowBrick Road (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: YellowBrick Road (2010)  (Read 4138 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: August 05, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »

What a bizarre little indie horror flick this was!!!

In the fall of 1940, the entire population of the small town of Friar, NH - 572 people - walked up an abandoned road into a remote stretch of northern forest.
About 300 bodies were found weeks later, most frozen to death, some brutally ripped and stabbed.  The rest were never found or seen again.  The files on the town were sealed, and the whole episode became nothing more than a local legend. The town slowly repopulated, but the brooding forest to the North remained as undisturbed and haunting as ever.

Now, in the fall of 2008, a documentary filmmaker has the long-sealed files dropped into his hands by a mysterious clerk at a rural courthouse.  He quickly assembles a team to go the Friar and find the abandoned road, and solve the 70 year old mystery.

But when a local shows him the entrance to the ancient pathway, and he and his crew take to the forest, mysterious things begin happening.  The GPS becomes useless, the crew becomes more and more tense, and the haunting sound of Big Band music from the 40's begins echoing from some hidden locale deep in the forest . . .

This movie is slow paced and filled with dark, psychological horror. Not much for the gorehound here (except one scene, about 2/3 of the way through, that is horrific in its violence and its sudenness), and no bare bosoms either.  But in the end, it is definitely worth the slow buildup, as one by one, the documentary team go utterly mad.

If you like horror movies that make you think, this one is a sure thing.  I'm still processing it.

Oh . . . and how's this for a tag line?

"They were searching for an evil in the forest . . . but the forest found the evil in them."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:43:15 PM »

Just watched it and liked it quite a bit. It had been sitting in my queue since your original post, but it was just put available for streaming on Netflix.

I don't want to give away too much more than what you said in your post, suffice to say that the central story remains elusive enough to remain interesting through to the end. It reminds me in some ways of The Mothman Prophecies.

The lead actress (and co-producer), Anessa Ramsey, also starred in a similar movie, The Signal. That one involved people slowly losing their grasp on their sanity due to an electrical broadcast. That's made more difficult in YellowBrickRoad, as reality doesn't want to remain in place either.

Great movie, I highly recommend it to anybody who likes a little mystery in their movies. Perhaps good for a double-bill with Pontypool.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:06:41 AM »

When I saw the thread title, I was wondering what Sir Elton John thought about the film's title?  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:21 AM »

Added it to the queue, I'll try to check it out in the next few days.

No bare bosoms though, eh?   Bluesad

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Couchtr26

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »

I had been curious on this one as I saw it for not much money somewhere.  I think it maybe worth a pick up and thanks for the recommend Indiana. 

Ah, the good old days.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »

Watched it last night.  One of those movies that's very mysterious, for it's full runtime, and I guess the audience is supposed to stay glued to their set in the hopes that when the big reveal at the end comes, it will all be worth it.  But then two-thirds of the way through you realize there isn't going to be any big reveal, and when the ending finally comes it's just one big "WTF was that even supposed to be?"

Other than that, which was kind of important being the entire plot and all, I thought it was pretty good.  The characters were likable and sympathetic enough, and it was quite effective at making me feel as confused and disoriented as the people in it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »

Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up.

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »

When I saw the thread title, I was wondering what Sir Elton John thought about the film's title?  Wink

Nyuk,nyuk,nyuk!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »

I saw Lester posted on this one in the "Recent Viewings" and remembered that I had watched it and liked it pretty well, so I went and found my original review.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  YellowBrick Road (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.