Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:38:19 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011)  (Read 2880 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 06, 2011, 06:54:09 AM »

I didn't have high expectations going in to see this movie, but it ended up being pretty entertaining.  Yeah, they should have spent more time and money polishing the CGI (at times, I felt like I was watching a Donkey Kong game from about 15 years ago), but after about 20 minutes I got over it.  There is nothing "great" about this movie and there is some dialogue that will make you groan.  But overall I thought it was 105 minutes well spent.  I give it around an 80 or 85 on a scale of 0 to 100.   

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Vik
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »

All of the reviews I've read/watched have been positive, so I'm looking forward to it...
Except for this review (it's pretty funny):
Small | Large
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »

I guess it was because the stench of Transformers 3 and Cowboys & Aliens still lurked in my subconcious menacingly, but I enjoyed this. I got what I wanted, a big epic monkey rampage. Except here, little to no wretched comic relief, hideously unlikeable characters, etc.
It's ungodly stupid, but it's certainly a likeable kind. It's worth it for the last half-hour.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Vik
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »

Ignoring the superfluity of dull human characters, I thought it was quite good.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »

It's actually pretty good.  4/5. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Vik
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »

I'm not sure why people are calling it an intelligent film, though. I didn't thinkt that that was the case at all. For example, it clearly doesn't understand the difference between knowledge and intelligence.
Neville

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »

I wouldn't call it "intelligent". Just "well made", which is enough of a rarity these days. I think it's really worth watching, they really took their time to flesh out Caesar's evolving relationship with mankind, and there are tons of great moments, such as the time Caesar spends in an animal refuge, which aptly reminds of a prison flick, or the action bits towards the end.

Cons? Well, I just don't believe they wanted to tell the ape rebellion on a PG-13 film. It needed more casualties and a more apocaliptic tone that is barely hinted in the final image of the film. I think "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" did better in this sense, despite of its shortcomings.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 05:40:58 PM »

I thought it was very, very good. One could criticize I suppose for not sticking strictly to the old established continuity but I'm not sure if that would have been even possible as in essence even the old films didn't really succeed on those terms. It is to me largely like a reverse take on the original Planet of the Apes (1968) which was a rather interesting approach to take a good way to giving a nod or two to the fans of the classic. It's also quite a bit like Conquest of the Planet of the Apes but continuity wise, not that it's anything set in stone in the series anyways, here would seem to predate that being more like the first sign of apes gaining greater intelligence. I think though it did feature strong acting from all the important lead characters and like most Apes films to proceed uses sci-fi to delve into real life issues as to humanity and how we treat animals and each other amongst other themes.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »

We saw this...finally....at a local discount theater last night and I liked it a lot. Even though they changed a couple of things I thought it all worked well. Thumbup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.