Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:27 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Steampunk Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Steampunk Movies  (Read 7146 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »

Lately, for reasons I can't explain precisely, I have an interest in Steampunk genre type stuff. You know, that alternate Victoria-era vision of the future that grew to prominence in the early 90's, with lots of weird gadgetry, gears, pipes, valves, etc.

Any suggestions on movies to watch? It's never been a particular interest in the past but is sort of a current mild fascination, so I can't say I know the sub-genre very well. I don't mind more recent titles, but older ones that don't rely on CGI as much would be preferrable.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »

Quite intresting; for the last 5 or 6 years there has been a movement towards steampunk.

In my book "Lifelines", I've also used a few elements of steampunk as the rebirth of the new world, although it's was influenced by an assumed aristocrat who liked the gothic victorian image and it seemed to clash very well with dadaism, another influence in the story... *There is a part in my story that the zombies were reconstructed into art works* [influence from Man Ray's photos]

My next book is loosely based upon the 1893 worlds fair with is something like what steampunk could look like if it was real and I been thinking of using a steampunkish angle.

As for the steampunk; gee holy cow... this is one of the most diffictult source material I had to reseach. Metropolis (1927), The Time Machine (1960), Master of the World (1961) and Time After Time (1979) are great glimps into the world of steampunk. If you have not seen Metropolis by now then maybe it's time to watch it.

Wild Wild West the TV show and the 1999 movie are good steampunk references.

Van Helsing, The Golden Compass (didnt see), Sherlock Holmes (the one with Robert Downey, Jr. and the made from Asylum) and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (didnt see... It was on my instant watch queue for a long-long time, now it's off the netflix instant queue...) can be noted as steampunk films.

Hammer films seem to capture the victorian gothic look and a few of their "monster stories" are steampunkish, especially the Frankenstein stories.

:)
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »

I know, Skull, I wondered if it might be a tall order. I've seen examples of it in more recent movies. I liked The Golden Compass, which is a decent example of what I'm talking about. City of Ember is another one that fits. It was a mediocre film but had a great steampunk atmosphere. The Wild Wild West film was horrid, but the original series was amazing.

The problem is that Steampunk as a subgenre came into prominence in the early 90's, and it wasn't really in films much. You saw it more in things like music videos (Smashing Pumpkins comes to mind), video games (Myst and Riven), but not much in films, other than the "here and there" examples you mentioned that don't carry the Steampunk label, per se. By the way, I love Time After Time.

It's interesting that you mention dada. It got me to thinking. Some of the college intellectuals I hung out with in the 80's were well aware of dada, before the Steampunk sub-genre took hold in popular culture. It makes me wonder if the college kids of the 80's were who partially engineered it's popularity in the 90's. A point to ponder.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »

CITY OF LOST CHILDREN is a great movie with a fascinating steampunk design.

Small | Large

BRAZIL has a somewhat steampunk look (but I'm sure you knew that already).

SKY CAPTAIN may be steampunk but it's not worth seeing IMO.

There's an anime called STEAMBOY---I haven't seen it but it's a perfect example of the genre.

Small | Large

Many people have described parts of SUCKER PUNCH as steampunk, but again I haven't seen it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »

Anime is sort of a big fan of steampunk stuff.

Castle in the Sky is steampunk.  I mean, check out some of the flying technology in the film.  It's rather impressive.  The warship Golitah is pretty cool looking.  Also, Howl's Moving Castle is also pretty steampunkish as well, but most of the advance technology is created from or runs on magic.  A tv show example would be Steam Detectives, which is pretty much a noir steampunk show.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »

How about 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA?  Or any of those British/Amicus/Doug McClure type movies from the 1970s, such as:

* AT THE EARTH'S CORE
* THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT
* THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT
* WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS
* WAR GODS OF THE DEEP

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »

Steamboy for sure... this is on my must see list.  How about "The Iron Giant"? 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »

Vidocq had a steampunk feel to it, except it wasn't futuristic.  Just full of steel and fire.

Small | Large

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964)

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Skull
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »

Vidocq had a steampunk feel to it, except it wasn't futuristic.  Just full of steel and fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhGMy7E_CU&feature=player_detailpage

cool I have this movie on our netflix instant play queue as Dark Portals... it looks really good.
dean

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:04 PM »

That's funny since I've been reading alot of steampunk themed tumblrs lately with some awesome outfits!  I've been tempted to buy some merchandise, like a discombobulator or something just for fun [essentially re-designed nerf guns with a steampunk tilt]

I can't think of many Steampunk films beyond those already listed.  Hellboy I and II and Firefly the TV series have some similar elements in their visual design, though I certainly wouldn't call them steampunk...

The only two I can think of off the top of my head is The Rocketeer and The League of Extraordinary gentelmen, though the movie wasn't horrible, it's nowhere near as awesome as the comics.

In fact there are alot of steampunk comics out there that are fun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_by_Gaslight

That was one example of Batman reimagined as steampunk.

There's also a hell of a lot of Steampunk star wars which is pretty cool.

Here's a couple of favourite examples:

http://www.igeektrooper.com/2011/02/steampunk-star-wars/

http://zouchmagazine.com/art-shots-a-steampunk-star-wars/

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 06:42:48 AM »

cool I have this movie on our netflix instant play queue as Dark Portals... it looks really good.

Yeah, it's very style-heavy, but has quite an interesting story as well.  I enjoyed it a lot.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Skull
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »

Yeah, it's very style-heavy, but has quite an interesting story as well.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Cool... it might be the mood I'm looking for my next story. Since my next book project is during 1893...
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 01:10:36 PM »

Mr. Hero The Newmatic Man was a cool steampunky comic from Neil Gaiman. I liked it. I'm surprised no one has ade it into a movie yet since steam punk is a genre that has it's own line of clothes!

http://www.clockworkcouture.com/

http://www.steampunkemporium.com/steam.php

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »

Perhaps "Perfect Creature":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403407/faq#.2.1.6

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Steampunk Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.