Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:38:04 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Comic (1969) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Comic (1969)  (Read 2200 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: August 08, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »

I'm curious how many people here have seen this film. It is an obscure piece directed by Carl Reiner and starring Dick Van Dyke. I remember seeing it as a child and being kind of fascinated by it, but don't remember many details. Dick Van Dyke played Billy Bright, a once successful silent movie comic actor, known for erratic behavior, and his rise and fall. Like I said, my memories are very vague, but it struck me as one of those everlooked gems. I looked up the movie, and it's interesting to note that the film received almost no attention in it's initial theatrical run, and received some notoriety during 70's television runs.

Anybody familiar with this movie. If so, is it worth checking out all these years later?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »

I was old enough in 1969, that I remembered when this came out. Though, I didn't see it when it was first released, nor have I seen it since its first release. But to answer your question: "Is it apparently worth checking out after all these years later?" Looking at the cast, I would definitely say yes, as it has . . . in it.

Dick Van Dyke
Probably one of the most underappreciated comic actors out there in one of his few film roles.

Steve Allen
Though he plays Steve Allen, again someone in one of his few film roles.

Before they became famous.
Gavin MacLeod. I was surprised to see his acting credits go back to 1958, but it'd be another 8 years, before "The Love Boat" made him famous.

People just starting out
Isabel Sanford. This would be only her third film appearance.

People finishing up their careers
Jerome Cowan, Pert Kelon, and Mantan Moreland. This would be last film for both Cowan and Kelton.

And old warhorses like
Fritz Feld. Feld of the champagne cork popping sound, and lastly, Cornel Wilde.

One more reason to see it. Supposedly, the film was loosedly based on the lives of Buster Keaton and Stan Laurel.

So again, yes, I think it is worth checking out.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:27:34 AM »

I saw it as a kid...but,alas,remember little of it as well.

Jerome Cowan, Pert Kelon, and Mantan Moreland.

Mantan? Really/
WOW!
I always thought SPIDER BABY was his last film!!!!

According to IMDB, he kept acting untill the end, in 1973.
Impressive.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »

THE COMIC !!  I bet we watched the first TV broadcast of that; my older brother loved those kinds of movies and DICK VAN DYKE was well-liked in my family's house.  Blast from the past!  I remember that film "well" but it's been a very long time since I've seen it. 

Billy Bright (DICK VAN DYKE) is a silent-era comic who looks like STAN LAUREL but has a messed-up personal life of excess (I seem to recall him driving this huge beautiful car up onto someone's lawn...) like BUSTER KEATON had in his personal life, booze and financial failure... 

I was very young and it was one of those 70s TV showings where I first saw it (I think I saw that film 3 times over a few years).  I think the beginning and/or the ending has elderly Billy Bright getting up in the wee hours from his sleep to put on his TV a late night movie show - broadcasting one of his silent films.  That movie kind of spooked me when I was a kid.  I'd love to look at it now. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

I recently watched an episode of COLUMBO and Dick van Dyke was the killer.  He's a good actor and handled the role well, but I couldn't stop thinking, "Hey, that's Rob Petrie."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »

So, somebody HAS heard of it besides me. I'm glad to see it. I like your comments, AHD. I agree, the film carries some strange vibes in my memory as well.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »

I saw it as a kid...but,alas,remember little of it as well.

Jerome Cowan, Pert Kelon, and Mantan Moreland.

Mantan? Really/
WOW!
I always thought SPIDER BABY was his last film!!!!

According to IMDB, he kept acting untill the end, in 1973.
Impressive.

Actually, "Spider Baby," which he made in 1968 was his fifth to last theatrical film. He made four more theatrical films after that one, inlcuding "The Comic." His last film appearance in a theatrical film was in "The Young Nurses," which he did make in 1973.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Comic (1969) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.