Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:36:47 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Former Warrant lead singer Jani Lane dies at 47 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Former Warrant lead singer Jani Lane dies at 47  (Read 6676 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: August 12, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »

Former Warrant lead singer Jani Lane dies at 47 
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jani Lane, the former lead singer of the metal rock band Warrant, has died in Los Angeles. He was 47.

Officer Sara Faden says Lane's body was found Thursday in a Woodland Hills hotel. She had no immediate information on the cause or circumstances of his death.

With his long blond hair and tight leather outfits, Lane embodied the excess of 1980s "hair metal" rock bands. He joined Warrant in 1984 and wrote such hits as "Heaven," ''Down Boys" and "Cherry Pie."

He had an on-and-off relationship with the band, leaving it in 1992 before returning and quitting again several times... 

http://news.yahoo.com/former-warrant-lead-singer-jani-lane-dies-47-064029198.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »

I hate to say it, but this wasn't really a shock. The guy had been a mess for the past decade at least.

I will confess that I never gave Warrant the time of day when they were current (I was too busy being all "tr00 METAL") but years later, I was in a used CD store, saw a copy of "Cherry Pie" and said "Y'know what? That Uncle Tom's Cabin was a pretty bad-ass track..." and bought it. Turned out to be a pretty sweet hard rock disc. I've picked up a few of their other albums since then.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »

That's too bad.  I was always jealous of him because he was actually married to the girl in his video for a few years.

Small | Large

RIP Jani.   Bluesad

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »

I'm really shocked. I know he was having trouble getting his s**t together and was an alcoholic but still, it's bummed me out. I absolutely love Warrant and Jani Lane was a great songwriter, I don't care what anyone says. Forget "Cherry Pie", he wrote some amazing songs such as "Bitter Pill", "Uncle Tom's Cabin", "Quicksand", "Andy Warhol Was Right" and more...

47 is far, far too young.

Small | Large

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »

Small | Large

That song is kind of ironic.  Yeh, JANI LANE could write songs. 

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »

I hate to say it, but this wasn't really a shock. The guy had been a mess for the past decade at least.

I will confess that I never gave Warrant the time of day when they were current (I was too busy being all "tr00 METAL") but years later, I was in a used CD store, saw a copy of "Cherry Pie" and said "Y'know what? That Uncle Tom's Cabin was a pretty bad-ass track..." and bought it. Turned out to be a pretty sweet hard rock disc. I've picked up a few of their other albums since then.

Totally agreed!  "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was a cool song, and showed that Warrant had the ability (if not the desire) to churn out hard rock instead of the steady stream of  party rock and power ballads like Poison or Firehouse. It's the only song I liked of theirs.

At that time in metal, too many bands were pretty boys who drove around in cherry red sports cars picking up every girl they found on the Sunset Strip and using it for song material. It got old, quick.

Anyhow, 47 is too young, and like most of the 80's era rockers, the excesses of that time have caught up with one more of the pack. Rest in peace, Jani.  Bluesad

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »

...At that time in metal, too many bands were pretty boys who drove around in cherry red sports cars picking up every girl they found on the Sunset Strip and using it for song material. It got old, quick....
Jealous?

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »

...At that time in metal, too many bands were pretty boys who drove around in cherry red sports cars picking up every girl they found on the Sunset Strip and using it for song material. It got old, quick....

Jealous?

Not really...as if buying a new sports car every week, having risky sex with groupies, and living totally tanked on hard drugs 24\7 is anything to be proud of, let alone jealous...

Ask Robbin Crosby of Ratt if dying from AIDS was worth it..

The hair bands were too young to know control, and too wild to truly live, and now it's coming back to haunt them.

At least some guys like Chris Holmes of W.A.S.P. and Dokken's George Lynch (and Megadeth's Dave Mustaine) decided to pull it together. I respect them for that. They knew to put the brakes on and that's why they're still here.

Anyway, my taste in metal runs harder, not softer. You won't find Poison or Warrant in my collection, but you will find  Motorhead, Saxon, Raven and Anthrax in there (among others.)

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »

Jealous?
Not really...as if buying a new sports car every week, having risky sex with groupies, and living totally tanked on hard drugs 24\7 is anything to be proud of, let alone jealous...
The hair bands were too young to know control, and too wild to truly live, and now it's coming back to haunt them.
At least some guys like Chris Holmes of W.A.S.P. and Dokken's George Lynch (and Megadeth's Dave Mustaine) decided to pull it together. I respect them for that. They knew to put the brakes on and that's why they're still here.
Anyway, my taste in metal runs harder, not softer. You won't find Poison or Warrant in my collection, but you will find  Motorhead, Saxon, Raven and Anthrax in there (among others.)
I should have put that winkie emoticon up there, but it didn't seem appropriate in JANI LANE's obit thread (even Allhallowsday has rules).  
Really, I was only joking; it does sound like a fantasy.  How could I resist that line: "...who drove around in cherry red sports cars picking up every girl they found on the Sunset Strip..."  Here it is now: Wink Thumbup

I wasn't into WARRANT, either, but they were hard to miss.  And I don't like any of those band you named; I just didn't know 'em.  Except MOTORHEAD.  I love MOTORHEAD
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:18:07 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »

Warrant was one of those bands I wasn't crazy about but didn't exactly hate either.  I did like a few of their songs, this one was probably my favorite from them.
Small | Large

The band was goofy by today's standards (they synced their headbanging for gawd's sakes) but they embodied coolness in the 80s.  RIP Jani, thanks for the music

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »

Jealous?
Anyway, my taste in metal runs harder, not softer. You won't find Poison or Warrant in my collection, but you will find  Motorhead, Saxon, Raven and Anthrax in there (among others.)

I should have put that winkie emoticon up there, but it didn't seem appropriate in JANI LANE's obit thread (even Allhallowsday has rules).  
Really, I was only joking; it does sound like a fantasy.  How could I resist that line: "...who drove around in cherry red sports cars picking up every girl they found on the Sunset Strip..."  Here it is now: Wink Thumbup

No worries AHD, it's all good.  Smile 

It's just sad that, more than other bands, the hair metal guys were allowed to run loose in an adult version of kids in a candy store w\o being told that it would one day come back to haunt them.  I guess we all pay a price for what we hold dear...

I wasn't into WARRANT, either, but they were hard to miss.  And I don't like any of those band you named; I just didn't know 'em.  Except MOTORHEAD.  I love MOTORHEAD.

Yeah! Ya' just gotta' respect Lemmy...he's almost 70 and bangin' away onstage most days of the year.  Dressed in black, dosen't care how he looks, dosen't give a f**k that metal's out or in-he goes onstage and does his thing.  As far as true rebels go, Lemmy is the real deal. He's a metal version of Johnny Cash.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »

I wrote a lil' tribute to Jani over at my HubPages profile. I figured nobody else over there had written about it so I may as well be the first.

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Jani-Lane-of-Warrant-1964-2011

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »

Getting educated on SAXON watching your videos, they were off my radar (that type of band would have been back in the day) frankly, they were a band I ignored.  But, they're GREAT.   Thumbup Smile

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 11:23:45 AM »

Getting educated on SAXON watching your videos, they were off my radar (that type of band would have been back in the day) frankly, they were a band I ignored.  But, they're GREAT.   Thumbup Smile

Yes sir!  One of the truly underrated bands of the day, but a name spoken with respect in the metal field.  Cheers

Saxon came up with one of the first anthem songs for metal, "Denim And Leather."  

They also have had some great albums in the past, such as "Crusader",  "Wheels Of Steel" and a great NWOBHM era song called "Motorcycle Man."

"Searching For Atlantis" is also another one of their godd (sorry, that's good) songs.  Glad you like them!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Torgo

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »

Getting educated on SAXON watching your videos, they were off my radar (that type of band would have been back in the day) frankly, they were a band I ignored.  But, they're GREAT.   Thumbup Smile

Saxon were on of the great New Wave of British Heavy Metal Bands (or NWOBHM for short) that never made it big but I've always liked them. The cool thing is that their legacy has done nothing but grow over the years and like another NWOBHM stalwart Diamond Head, they're actually probably much more popular now than they were back during their heyday. Classic old school heavy metal that has gotten better with age.   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Former Warrant lead singer Jani Lane dies at 47 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.