Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:09:37 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So I'm on the e-cigs... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: So I'm on the e-cigs...  (Read 11784 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 14, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »

A couple of months ago, I switched from cigarettes to "e-cigarettes."  Actually, I did not completely switch as I still smoke 1-3 cigs a day, but I cut down my smoking by 75% and I can easily see getting rid of the cig habit altogether.

For those who don't know, the e-cig is a device that heats a flavored nicotine solution into a mist which is then inhaled into the lungs.  The advantages are better taste, no bad smell, you can use them many places smoking is prohibited, and---most importantly---they have none of the carcinogens or carbon monoxide contained in tobacco smoke. 

Small | Large

They've been (rather ridiculously) banned in a few countries, most notably Canada and Australia.  Actually, Canada has the most idiotic e-cig policy it would be possible to invent: you can use them all you want, but only if they have no nicotine.  That policy lets in all of e-cigs potential harms but handicaps their only benefit---getting people to quit smoking.

They're perfectly legal in the US and the EU right now, although regulations are coming in a few years.  Once the regulations are in place and companies know what they're dealing with, Big Tobacco will start selling these. I could see them capturing up to 5% of the smoking market in a few years, which would be huge.  Right now, most equipment comes from China (where the devices were invented).

It can't be said with 100% certainty that they are safer than cigarettes, since they've only been widely used for three years and there have been no long term health studies.  However, theoretically they are far safer than cigarette smoking and I have no personal worries about health issues.  I'm breathing much better than I have since I was a teenager and I've noticed increased energy.

I can't actually recommend anyone using them.  I'm perfectly willing to make myself a guinea pig, but other people may not be.  I would, however, support any smoker who wanted to make the switch.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:19:13 AM »

There's been a bit of uproar within our department about the use of these. Some people complained about not being able to use them at their desks (whilst working) in offices that are closed to the public, whilst regular smokers are allowed to take many breaks throughout the day. I kind of agree in a way because it doesn't seem fair that we have all these healthy living schemes pushed on us work, the department making out they care about staff well-being and then not supporting those who are trying to overcome their addiction. It's quite annoying when you bust your balls all day, whilst your colleagues are getting 5-6 breaks in a day to slowly kill themselves...

Hope you can kick your habit Rev.  Thumbup

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »

I'll have to give those a try.  A smoker can actually "smoke" one of these things and it's satisfying, and doesn't just make you want to light up a real cigarette afterwards?

Thanks for the heads-up Rev   Thumbup

Edit:  Ordered a starter kit from Green Smoke E-Cigarettes.  So...we'll see how it goes   TeddyR
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:57:50 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

I'm intrigued. I give these a look!

Thanks, Rev!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »

I'll have to give those a try.  A smoker can actually "smoke" one of these things and it's satisfying, and doesn't just make you want to light up a real cigarette afterwards?

Thanks for the heads-up Rev   Thumbup

Edit:  Ordered a starter kit from Green Smoke E-Cigarettes.  So...we'll see how it goes   TeddyR

Jack: I didn't think anyone would go out and immediately buy one based on this thread or I would have recommended a model.  That Green Smoke may be a decent unit, I don't know, but it looks way overpriced.  I got my Riva starter kit from a place called Liberty Flights for about $30 (plus liquid sold separately).

The other one I've heard good things about is the Volt from Smokeless Image.  Their basic starter kit is $45.  The Volt looks like a cigarette and has pre-filled cartridges, the Riva looks more like a magic marker (I get teased about its looks sometimes).  I buy the juice separately and fill it myself to save money.   

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:14:46 AM »

All good wishes to Jack and The Rev: quitting smoking is not easy. I gave up cold turkey in 2009 after almost twenty years ~ the Lord only knows what damage that did to my lungs.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:40:14 AM »

Thanks for the info Rev.  I just looked up a review site and the Green Smoke one seemed to score well - they say it gives you a larger volume of smoke er...vapor than some other brands.  Who knows if those reviews were even current though   Smile  I figured that compared to the price of cig's, and considering the health advantages, the price wasn't a big deal. 

According to the manufacturer, the refills will come out to be quite a bit cheaper than cigarettes, so it'll pay for itself before too long.  Of course I have no idea if the manufacturer's claim of one refill equaling 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes is realistic or not.  Maybe more like half a pack. 

Ah whatever, I figured it was worth checking out.  If I can smoke something that's a reasonable facsimile of a cigarette without the carcinogens and carbon monoxide, it'll be worth it.  And I can always try other brands in the future.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »

Jack: I have seen Green Smoke get good reviews.  They're just a bit pricey.  And they have one other disadvantage in that their equipment is hard to find replacement parts for unless you buy directly from them.  If you don't like one of their 6 flavors you'll have trouble finding something from another company you can use.  Nonetheless, you could have done a lot worse.  There are some real ripoff outfits out there.  Hope you like it as much as I do! 

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »

A woman in my office who has been trying to quit smoking for about 5 years tried the e-cig.  I think she used it for a day or two and I never saw it again.  She has also tried nicotine patches and they haven't worked either.  She even had an appointment to see a hypnotist a few months ago but she canceled it because it was too expensive.  Amazing how some people can quit easily and other struggle with it.  Both of my parents and my sister quit cold turkey.  No patches or nicotine gum or anything.  I feel bad for my co-worker because nothing has worked for her so far (although, she did quit for about 8 months, then she started again). 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »

Rev - yeah, they've only got two tobacco flavors, Absolute and Red Label.  For some reason I can't quite fathom, they've got FOUR other flavors like chocolate, vanilla and mocha.  Oh well, I ordered some of each of the tobacco flavors.   If I like e-cigs but don't care for their particular flavors or if it ends up costing more than I thought it would, I can always try different brands.

I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy   TeddyR  At the very least I think it should be an adequate  substitute for smokes at least some of the time.  And if it turns out to meet my expectations, maybe I can switch over completely.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »

Rev - yeah, they've only got two tobacco flavors, Absolute and Red Label.  For some reason I can't quite fathom, they've got FOUR other flavors like chocolate, vanilla and mocha.  Oh well, I ordered some of each of the tobacco flavors.   If I like e-cigs but don't care for their particular flavors or if it ends up costing more than I thought it would, I can always try different brands.

I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy   TeddyR  At the very least I think it should be an adequate  substitute for smokes at least some of the time.  And if it turns out to meet my expectations, maybe I can switch over completely.

I believe you can find adapters/blanks that will fit Green Smoke, you'll just have to look around.

Don't expect "cigarette" flavor to taste like cigarettes.  They should taste much better.   Smile  Personally the best flavors I've tried are Peach and a menthol/tobacco blend.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »

They've been (rather ridiculously) banned in a few countries, most notably Canada and Australia.  Actually, Canada has the most idiotic e-cig policy it would be possible to invent: you can use them all you want, but only if they have no nicotine.  That policy lets in all of e-cigs potential harms but handicaps their only benefit---getting people to quit smoking.

Canada's food and drug policies tend to be idiotic on a lot of things.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »

In this case, at least, I think it comes from trying to fit a novel new invention into a bureaucratic regulatory scheme that wasn't designed to deal with it. Here in the US, the Food & Drug Administration tried desperately to effectively ban them, but in an unexpected bout of rationality the courts shot them down.  The legal reasoning was complex but it can be boiled down to: cigarettes are known to be deadly but they're perfectly legal, so you can't regulate something that uses ingredients that you already approved and is intended as a cigarette substitute more harshly than you do the real thing.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »

In this case, at least, I think it comes from trying to fit a novel new invention into a bureaucratic regulatory scheme that wasn't designed to deal with it. Here in the US, the Food & Drug Administration tried desperately to effectively ban them, but in an unexpected bout of rationality the courts shot them down.  The legal reasoning was complex but it can be boiled down to: cigarettes are known to be deadly but they're perfectly legal, so you can't regulate something that uses ingredients that you already approved and is intended as a cigarette substitute more harshly than you do the real thing.

The way our system works, take the active ingredient out of a natural product you can already buy, and they treat it like something entirely new. And tobacco is such a heavily taxed product here, there might be just a little conflict of interest, at least until the details of taxing e-cigarettes are completely hammered out.

And there is a very strong anti-smoking sentiment in all levels of government here, to a degree that might cause some to resist a cleaner, safer alternative as some kind of a cheat. The eradication of smoking has become such an important goal, the reasons for it become secondary. Take away the stink, the mess and the lung cancer, and you're left with nicotine, which is considered safe enough to be available without a prescription. I think there is a mentality that the war on smoking can't be won by disarming the enemy.

I'm saying this as someone who is not a smoker, has never really smoked except on rare occasions in my youth, and generally thinks smoking is a filthy habit. But I'm also a reasonable person, and if you can give people all the things they want out of smoking - the flavour, the nicotine and the comfort of something in their mouths - in a way that doesn't require them to inhale smoldering leaves, I think that might just be a win-win situation. At the very least, it's a step forward. Deal with the issue of addiction and abuse as you would with all of the other substances people can abuse. At the very least, you have something that probably won't kill you, and doesn't stink up the room for everyone else.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:46 AM »

A friend of mine started using those. I know he quit smoking regular cigarettes pretty easily with them, although I don't know if it stuck.

Probably the least objectionable way to get nicotine into your system. Leagues better than cigarettes, at least. The next step would be to water down the amount of nicotine in each puff. A great way to physiologically lessen the impact of cutting off the nicotine. Let us know if it helps with the behavioral aspects of smoking.

Whatever you do, don't end up taking the route my father took to quit smoking. Smoker for thirty years, then he had a mild heart attack. Quit smoking after that. Effective in his case, thank goodness.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So I'm on the e-cigs... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.