Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:26:57 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Job hunting dilemma « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Job hunting dilemma  (Read 3828 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 14, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »

So, as some of you know, I haven't been around much lately.  Long story short, I was in jail (or is it prison?  I get those two terms mixed up) for a bit over three weeks and now I'm out on bond.  They kicked me out of my apartment, so I'm  living with my mother.  Anyway, past several weeks I've been job hunting, my dilemma: what to put down on the "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" Question.  

Here's the thing, technically, I have NOT been convicted.  The trial is still ongoing... buuuut, I can't help but shake the feeling if I write "no" and they do a background check, they'll found out about my arrest and pitch my application in the trash.  Granted, I know a lot of places don't even bother to do background checks unless it's an "important" job, but still, not sure how to answer.  Especially in interviews when they say, "Okay, well, we'll be doing a background check, you've got nothing to worry about there, right?"  

Do I come clean and hope for the best?  Or should I keep quiet?  

(sigh)

Getting a job is hard enough for me, and this certainly won't help anything.  Wonder if maybe Rev or someone could give me some advice...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »

If the conviction isn't completed (the trial is still ongoing) then I would put "no" for a conviction.  Even if the jobsite wanted to do a background check I don't see how they can find anything if the trial isn't over with yet.  That would be my guess.. just my two cents.  Hope things work out for the best.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »

Unfortunately I can't give any advice Mike but I can give you warm virtual hugs and send good wishes.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »

You could put "no" and technically you would be truthful.  But you should probably let the employer know what is going on anyway.  If you don't and they find out, you may be perceived as sneaky and dishonest and that's not a good way to be perceived at work.  In any event, if the employment laws in your area are similar to the laws here, you would be an "employee at will."  This means the company can terminate you at any time and they don't even need to give you a reason.  They just need to say, "we are terminating your employment."  So, whether you are honest or not, you could end up without a job.  If I were interviewing you, I'd give you more credit for being honest up front than for trying to cover up your situation.   

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »

"No" is the correct answer to the question.  You're innocent until proven guilty.  If you put "yes" and were then acquitted, or your attorney strikes a deal to get the charge reduced to a misdemeanor, you'd feel pretty stupid, wouldn't you?

The question of whether you should tell the employer what is going on voluntarily is a more interesting one.  Burgo brings up some good points.  But it's really hard to say without knowing the nature of the charge against you, and the nature of the job you're applying to. If I were charged with soliciting a prostitute, I would consider it none of the company's business.  If I were charged with stealing from my previous employer, I would expect not to be hired.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Burgomaster

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »

If I were charged with soliciting a prostitute, I would consider it none of the company's business.  

A reverend would never do this!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:03:37 AM »

If I were charged with soliciting a prostitute, I would consider it none of the company's business.  

A reverend would never do this!

Jesus hung out with hookers and I'm just following his example!

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »

you're not a convicted felom since you aren't convicted

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in trouble for?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »

I'm not sure BTM should talk about specifics, the case is ongoing and this is a public forum. 

BTM

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »

I'm not sure BTM should talk about specifics, the case is ongoing and this is a public forum. 

As I've said elsewhere, I don't really want to get into the specifics of the case.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »

Put no, should be fine. I've been arrested six times and I work for the government!

The Burgomaster

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »

Put no, should be fine. I've been arrested six times and I work for the government!

Yes, but that's a REQUIREMENT of working for the government.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »

Say NO.
If you haven't been convicted-your not a felon.
Even if you are convicted-if it's not a felony-you are not a felon.
Misdemeanors generally don't show up on a Record Search.

On your court papers,their is a box headed TYPE OF OFFENSE- with 2 boxes marked Misdemeanor or Felony. See which one is checked.
Most crimes-especially if this is your first offense-will be knocked down to misdemeanor. Felonious assault (with a weapon),3rd offense drunk driving,manslaughter,kidnapping, rape,murder,grand larceny,armed robbery...those are felonies.
Most everything else (possesion,solicitation,1st and 2nd offense drunk driving,misdemeanor assault, Minor in Possesion of Alchohol,vandalism,destruction of property) is a misdemeanor.

If you bonded out for $500 dollars or less-it's certainly a misdemeanor.

Oh---and jail is county...prison is State or Federal. You only go their if your doing time for over a year on a felony.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:21:59 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BTM

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »

Say NO.
If you haven't been convicted-your not a felon.
Even if you are convicted-if it's not a felony-you are not a felon.

Well, I was defnitely charged with a felony.  I can tell you that much.

Anyway, I just hope something comes up (jobwise) soon, as I need some money.   Bluesad

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Job hunting dilemma « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.