Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:46:55 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top Ten Worst Directors « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Top Ten Worst Directors  (Read 14036 times)
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 17, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »

10. M. Night Shyamalan
9. Roland Emmerich
8. Brian Robbins
7. Brian Levant
6. Dennis Dugan
5. Steve Carr
4. Uwe Boll
3. Ed Wood
2. Michael Bay
1. Seltzer and Friedberg
Keep in mind, I'm mainly aiming for the best who provide us with "so bad it's painful", not "So bad, it's funny".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:31:51 PM by Kaseykockroach » Logged

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »

I'll go along with your list for the most part. Except for Ed Wood. I mean, if you're talking about so-bad-it's-painful. I happen to enjoy Ed Wood for the so-bad-it's-hilarios reason, as most others do. I'll just say I agree with your list except for that and I'd like to replace Ed Wood with Tyler Perry.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »

I'll go along with your list for the most part. Except for Ed Wood. I mean, if you're talking about so-bad-it's-painful. I happen to enjoy Ed Wood for the so-bad-it's-hilarios reason, as most others do. I'll just say I agree with your list except for that and I'd like to replace Ed Wood with Tyler Perry.

Bah!  I replaced him with Coleman Francis or Andy Sidaris.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Kaseykockroach
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »

I agree, it just didn't feel right not mentioning him. :D Because he's, well, Ed Wood.

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Tim Burton may be hovering around the edges of this list.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »

Christopher Nolan.

The only good movie he's done was Memento.  Everything else, including the Batman films were total garbage in my opinion.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Tim Burton may be hovering around the edges of this list.

Interesting call. I don't know about that, but I think I know what you're getting at. Tim Burton can make some real stinkers, and while I have enjoyed some of his movies immensely, I think he gets too much credit for his "talent." IMHO, he loses points for constantly going with Danny Elfman for all of his scores, who I think is an absolute hack of a score composer. However, some people just love his movies. I think The Nightmare Before Christmas was a movie with potential and a cool look and a few good gags, but ultimately was a mediocre film at best for me. In short, I have very mixed feelings about Tim Burton.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »

Christopher Nolan.

The only good movie he's done was Memento.  Everything else, including the Batman films were total garbage in my opinion.

Don't agree. I loved Inception, and while I'm not a huge fan of his Batman movies, I don't think they're bad. I also don't think he meets the criteria of a bad director like Uwe Boll does, outside of pure subjectivity. However, I while I disagree with what you have said, I will still defend to the death you right to say it.  Wink

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 04:15:40 PM »

10 Brian Robbins
9 Bill Rebane
8 Bob Guccione
7 Peter Jackson
6 Uwe Boll
5 M. Night Shyamalan
4 Tom Green
3 Coleman Francis
1 & 2 Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Kaseykockroach
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »

NBC is Henry Selick's film, not Tim Burton's. He just produced it. ^^;

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »

NBC is Henry Selick's film, not Tim Burton's. He just produced it. ^^;

I guess I was thrown off by it being "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas."

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

Ah!  Good to see a lot of Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer at the top of everyone's list (or is it the bottom?).  Can't think of a director or director team in which every single one of their movies is horrible.

Another director I forgot should be mentioned is Stewart Raffill.  He directed Ice Pirates, Mannequin 2: On the Move, Mac and Me (Praise be to Coca Cola), Croc, and the most recent film abomination known as Standing Ovation.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »

If we're talking Planet of the Apes and beyond absolutely... but I can never fully hate him since he brought Ed Wood, Beetlejuice, Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Frankenweenie into my life
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »

Interesting call. I don't know about that, but I think I know what you're getting at. Tim Burton can make some real stinkers, and while I have enjoyed some of his movies immensely, I think he gets too much credit for his "talent." IMHO, he loses points for constantly going with Danny Elfman for all of his scores, who I think is an absolute hack of a score composer. However, some people just love his movies. I think The Nightmare Before Christmas was a movie with potential and a cool look and a few good gags, but ultimately was a mediocre film at best for me. In short, I have very mixed feelings about Tim Burton.
Here's my stance: I love Tim Burton's movies, mostly, overall.  The first I saw was Frankenweenie on VHS.  From there, saw his bigger movies, like Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Batman, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, etc. 

However: I feel most of his movies provide the same message overall: the message of the lead character being a "Creepy, secluded, hated by society freak who ultimately becomes beloved", whether through it's fighting crime, being embraced as a B-Movie director, etc, etc. 

Mostly just allegories for his own teen years and being the freaky Cure fan in high school who gets embraced by a legion of teen fans who also feel left out in high school.  Eh. 

Overall, I enjoy his films, yeah.  Far from the 'worst', far from the 'best.'  In the middle at best.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Raffine

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »

Lest they be forgotten:

Al Adamson
William Beaudine
Larry Buchanan
Don Dohler
Dwain Esper
Arch Hall, Sr.
Andy Milligan
John Polonia (sorely missed by family, friends, and fans)
Eddie Romero
Ray Dennis Steckler
Phil Tucker

Actually, Eddie Romero is still alive and kickin', pushing 90!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top Ten Worst Directors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.