Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:58:27 PM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The Burger King has been removed from his throne! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Burger King has been removed from his throne!  (Read 5933 times)
claws
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:16:53 AM »

Originally Posted by Forbes.com
Fast-food chain Burger King is making a 180 degree shift in its marketing, with a decision to drop its "King" mascot and focus on — sit down before you read this! — product.

For years, Burger King had placed its bets on edgy commercials by creative powerhouse Crispin Porter + Bogusky, targeting men in their teens and 20s. Crispin's campaigns got a lot of attention, and plaudits from the advertising community. Unfortunately, however, advertising awards don't necessarily translate into sales, and Burger King has been badly lagging main rival McDonald's. According to consulting firm Technomic, Burger King's same-store sales declined 6% in the first quarter; compare that to a 3% rise for Mc Donald's.

This discrepancy in performance is not the result of McDonald's having more "creative" advertising or a hipper mascot (Ronald Mc Donald is many things — hip he's not). But while Burger King was trying to sell consumers an edgy brand image, McDonald's focused on something much more mundane: selling burgers, fries and coffee. The rest is marketing history.

Now, under new ownership, and with a new management and marketing team, Burger King is focusing on what matters: updating the stores, fixing its food and changing its image. As Alex Maccedo, SVP, marketing, put it to USA Today: "People want a reason to go back to Burger King ... There are no plans to bring the King back anytime soon."

Along with new management, Burger King has also hired a new ad agency, McGarry Bowen. Mc Garry's ads are often derided in ad industry circles as conventional, formulaic and unhip. The criticism isn't entirely unjustified ... but who cares? Last I heard, advertising is not about creating art house shorts; it's about selling stuff. Against that standard, McGarry's work tends to perform well. A new campaign by McGarry, launching this weekend, will introduce the California Whopper, made with guacamole.

Whether the new burger will catch on remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure: the marketing campaign will give it a shot at success. The entire TV commercial will focus single-mindedly on sights and sounds of the burger's ingredients being washed and diced.

And amidst all this slicing and dicing, "the King" finds himself like Charles I and Louis XVI ... a head shorter.

So, the new name will be ... BurgerBluesad
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:18:48 AM »

Seriously i'm getting sick of all the commercials that just focus on a food. Like all the new Wendy's commercials. Don't companies realize they need a mascot?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:23:48 AM by Criswell » Logged

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

The King was great.  A lot of those commercials were genius.  And Burger King has better food than McDonald's.  So there.

I haven't eaten at one in like six months, but still!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »

It does make sense though. The creepy King mascot was more memorable than the product he was pitching. The commercials got attention, just not necessarily focused in the right direction.

It reminds me of an interview Dave Thomas did in the 90s, where he explained why Wendy's "Where's the Beef?" wasn't as great an advertising campaign as people might assume. The commercials were a huge hit, but Clara Peller was what people remembered, and the slogan took off independently of the product. It was good for Wendy's, but the restaurant chain was largely left out of the huge word of mouth generated.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:24:03 AM »

Werewolves didn't work too well for Burger Chef....

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:01:10 AM »

I'll be honest, I don't care what the mascot is for any given place.  If I like the product I'll go there.  The mascot is kind of a nostalgic afterthought for myself.  I never really understood the hate towards the King.  I always thought Ronald  McDonald and his crew were just as creepy.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »

I'll be honest, I don't care what the mascot is for any given place.  If I like the product I'll go there.  The mascot is kind of a nostalgic afterthought for myself.  I never really understood the hate towards the King.  I always thought Ronald  McDonald and his crew were just as creepy.

I think it was just the King's completely immobile face and total silence that made him creepy. And some of his habits, like getting into bed with people and waiting for them to wake up.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »

I think it was just the King's completely immobile face and total silence that made him creepy. And some of his habits, like getting into bed with people and waiting for them to wake up.
Ozzymandias speaks: That was the work of the Crispin ad agency. They are the same ones a few years back who gave us the Orville Redbacker ads featuring a computer antimation Orville that looked more like a reantimated corpse. The Crispin agency has been fired by several companies because their edgy ads backfire some way.

I realize that the King in the recent ads was probably one of the fiberglass "Magic Burger King"  statues that stood out front or in the playground area. My question is did the actor who protrayed the King in the 70s ads get any compensation for his fiberglass image being used in these Crispin produced ads.

Small | Large

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »

Ronald McDonald unavailable for comment. 
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:23:19 PM »

Ronald McDonald unavailable for comment. 
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Thumbup That made my day, good sir!

yeah no.
BTM

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

Oh, come on, who could possibly find this creepy?

Oh, wait... never mind.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »

This guy has made some great videos! Check out the The Tiffany Problem Most of them are NSFW.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »

Good riddance....the guy was really disturbing. Buggedout

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:14:20 AM »

Our President says farewell....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The Burger King has been removed from his throne! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.