Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:05:17 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Cowboys & Aliens « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cowboys & Aliens  (Read 2637 times)
cowofzot
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 21, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »

It bludgeoned buttock, ( kicked ass). Filmed all round south Utah. Recognized most of it. Ford looks pretty craggy, Daniel Craig basically played Bond in it. The fighter craft were clever with multi wings. I woulda had the Indians fire the dynamite sticks attached to their arrows.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »

The film that killed off the western. No, but because of how this film underperformed at the box office, the project to make "The Lone Ranger" w/ Johnny Depp as Tonto has been put on the shelf. Of course, the fact that the film's budget had ballooned to over $250 million also put a kibosh on the project. Also the attempt to finally turn Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" into a Hollywood film has also been shelved. In part again to how "Cowboys and Aliens" performed at the box office.

I did not see the film, and after seeing the trailers for it, I have no intention of seeing it, but I did read the graphic novel upon which it was based in part, and I wonder if the film might not have done better if they had made a more faithful adaptation of the graphic novel, which is a metaphor for the conquest of the Native Americans by the white man.
With the cowboys of the title standing in for the Native Americans and the aliens in the title standing in for the white man. One never knows.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »

I wonder if the film might not have done better if they had made a more faithful adaptation of the graphic novel, which is a metaphor for the conquest of the Native Americans by the white man. With the cowboys of the title standing in for the Native Americans and the aliens in the title standing in for the white man. One never knows.

That theme is in the movie. I don't know if it's as blatant as it is in the graphic novel (which I haven't read), but everyone in my viewing group saw the metaphor.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »

I wonder if the film might not have done better if they had made a more faithful adaptation of the graphic novel, which is a metaphor for the conquest of the Native Americans by the white man. With the cowboys of the title standing in for the Native Americans and the aliens in the title standing in for the white man. One never knows.

That theme is in the movie. I don't know if it's as blatant as it is in the graphic novel (which I haven't read), but everyone in my viewing group saw the metaphor.

Hard to say, as I haven't seen the film. Only the trailers for it, which did nothing to make me want to see the film, and the metaphor certainly wasn't in the trailers. But, what did do they say about trailers: "TAL! Or Trailers Always Lie!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »

I enjoyed it....lots of good old fashioned butt-kicking and  cool effects. Normally,I'm not a big fan of sci-fi/western mixes but this one worked for me. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Cowboys & Aliens « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.