Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:28:40 PM
714379 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  UFO/unexplained/apocalyptic documentaries? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UFO/unexplained/apocalyptic documentaries?  (Read 4040 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 02, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »

Last night I was watching The Jupiter Menace (1984), a documentary that was purportedly funded by a Baptist Church.  The host, George Kennedy, narrates a case for the coming destruction of the Earth with earthquakes, tidal waves and the like.  Filled with great electronic music from Larry Fast / Synergy, with inadvertantly hilarious dramatizations of biblical and other historical events and cool wireframe 80's computer graphics, the movie is a real gem.  I got mine from a bargain bin at the local DVD store and had no idea what joys lay in store for me.  TeddyR

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179914/

So I got thinking: what other UFO/unexplained/end times/etc documentaries are floating around?

In Search Of (1976-1982) TV series with Leonard Nimoy.  I grew up watching this and love them to this day.

In Search of Ancient Mysteries (1975) with Rod Serling.  Great old stuff.

In Search Of (2002) with Mitch Pileggi.  Short lived and without the charm of the original series.

Ancient Mysteries: UFO's - The First Encounters (1996)  A more modern documentary that talks about references to possible UFO sightings in ancient historical literature.  I have the DVD and really enjoy it.

Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World (1980)  Similar to In Search Of, with each episode spotlighting an unexplained phenomenon and introduced by Arthur C Clarke.

Arthur C Clarke's World of Strange Powers (1985) tv series

Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious Universe (1994) tv series.  Haven't seen this one ... yet!

Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land On The Moon? (2001) Fox TV documentary, narrated by Mitch Pileggi.  For someone who played the role of the hardheaded skeptic for most of the X-Files, Mitch got some interesting narration roles afterwards!

The Extraordinary (1993-1996) Australian TV series narrated by Warwick Moss in the In Search Of mold.  I watched these quite avidly, but they got kind of boring after a while.

The Extraordinary (1994) American version hosted by Corbin Bernson.

Chariots of the Gods? (1970) German documentary based on Erich Von Daniken's book of the same name.  Translated into English it was released as In Search of Ancient Astronauts.  I love the old documentaries like this; I watch them in the same way that I now watch a series like Warehouse 13 or The X-Files: as entertainment, not fact.

Ancient Aliens (2009 - now) In its thirteenth season, Ancient Aliens is a modern take on the Erich Von Daniken and Zecheria Sitchen books. Honestly, I can't believe the series has made it this far. Production values and editing are great, although the ideas of ancient extraterrestrials get stretched really thin.

Can anyone add to this list?  I'd like to keep adding to this list as I find more.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:22:58 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:06:17 AM »

Unexplained

Not sure if this is what your looking for....

Animal X was somewhat interesting I didn't watch all of the episodes.

Mysterious Treasure on Oak Island

Weird or What ?

Unsolved Mysteries

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »

Being as this IS BAD MOVIES...years ago I saw a totaly insane documentary (?) called OVERLORDS of the UFO (1976).
Now,I believe in UFO's.
But this off the wall,just-plain-stupid film ...UGH!  BounceGiggle

Small | Large

The OUTER SPACE CONNECTION (1975)
Narrated by Rod Serling,this one puts forth the theory that earth was seeded by aliens.
And they will return on Dec.24,2011!!! Buggedout
Hey-Rod Serling sez it's so-so it's so!
I have this on a dvd with CHARIOTS OF THE GODS (1970)-which has not aged well.

Small | Large

A good double vhs tape set I have is FLYING SAUCERS ARE REAL (1979) with Stanton Freidman.
Though it is low budget-it's very good,informative and believable (unlike OVERLORDS of the UFO-which is an hilarously heartbreaking travesty).

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »

Back in the 70's,I bought a paperback at the newstand (in the day of hometown newstands that sold comics,paperbacks and bubble gum cards) called the MYSTERIOUS MONSTERS.

It was the tie in for the Sunn Classics film of the Same name.
You remember Sunn Classics Films? They did stuff like IN SEARCH OF NOAH'S ARK, The LIFE AND TIMES OF GRIZZLY ADAMS,IN SEARCH OF HISTORIC JESUS,and so on.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:55 AM »

That Alien Autopsy video narrated by Jonathan Frakes was pretty good.  I used to have a copy of it but the kids borrowed it and took it over to their friend's house and that was the last I ever saw of it   Bluesad

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:53:08 AM »

And then there's Mysteries of the Gods, hosted by William Shatner.

I also remember a Discovery Channel (or somesuch) show about miniature UFOs inhabiting the rain forests of South America. I don't remember the title, but even my untrained eye could tell that these "UFOs" were just large insects buzzing by slightly too fast for the camera to catch clearly. Very silly stuff.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »

Lot of stuff about Nostradamus also out there. Personally I really like this TV series called "The Nostradamus Effect" (it's a total guilty pleasure but it's all about examining different apocalyptic theories).

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »

I also remember a Discovery Channel (or somesuch) show about miniature UFOs inhabiting the rain forests of South America. I don't remember the title, but even my untrained eye could tell that these "UFOs" were just large insects buzzing by slightly too fast for the camera to catch clearly. Very silly stuff.

The things you speak of are called 'Rods"...
Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:07:20 AM »

The things you speak of are called 'Rods"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySRM9_qNNw&feature=related

Yep. That's them. The sad thing is, the "documentary" I saw was presented as a serious investigation. Thanks for that, RC!

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »

Small | Large

One Step Beyond, the 50s anthology series hosted by John Newland, was based largely upon reported unexplained and supernatural happenings.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Archivist

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »

Guys, thank you so much for all the additions and recommendations!

Animal X is fits perfectly into the kind of thing I'm looking for.

The Overlords of the UFO is a real classic.  Thanks for suggesting it.  RC Merchant, you have good karma!   Smile

I remember seeing things about 'the RODS' a number of years ago on Australian TV.  I thought it was weird, too, and didn't know about the insect aspect until just a few weeks ago.

Just found Mysteries of the Gods with Shatner on Google Video.  This is going to be so cool...

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
cowofzot
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »

UFO's Above & Beyond hosted by James Doohan is best of the lot. Great footage, even a ship that bends light & dissapears in static position.

Check out the latest 2 camera Israel synagogue UFO film on youtube. 2 cameras filming the same event from different locations. I'd post it, but am new, so can't post links.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »

UFO's Above & Beyond hosted by James Doohan is best of the lot. Great footage, even a ship that bends light & dissapears in static position.

Check out the latest 2 camera Israel synagogue UFO film on youtube. 2 cameras filming the same event from different locations. I'd post it, but am new, so can't post links.
Your crazy.
I like that. Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
cowofzot
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »

Jah thanks man. After you've seen one, no goin back.
Archivist

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 03:13:23 AM »

I found another one, also very cool, and made fairly recently, too.  "The Mysterious Origins of Man - Forbidden Archaeology" (1996) hosted by Charlton Heston!!!

! No longer available Small | Large

When I see Charlton Heston in this TV special, I think of an older, gentler Man in Black as portrayed by Jesse Ventura.

! No longer available Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:18:44 AM by Archivist » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  UFO/unexplained/apocalyptic documentaries? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.