Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 15, 2024, 12:38:46 AM
712707 Posts in 53033 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Abandoned houses/buildings/places in your area « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abandoned houses/buildings/places in your area  (Read 4131 times)
claws
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:43:36 AM »

We have two in our town that I know of. One is sort of located on a busy street between two houses and it's been boarded up since the late 80s. No idea who used to live there.
Two windows on the second floor are smashed, and the small front garden has been growing wild for ages. The old rusty front gate is padlocked so I assume the house/property must belong to somebody.
I took a look inside through a back window some years ago and noticed the first floor was furnished, but haven't been lived in for some time.

The other place is an old farm on the outskirts and we used to explore the house as kids. The place was pretty much trashed and kind of spooky, located near a creek surrounded by trees on a lonely stretch of road behind fields.
A couple of years ago they started fixing up the place and erected a fence. It's still abandoned though.

Any abandoned & creepy places in your area?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:53:53 AM by claws » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »

There are apparently a few small settlements along the original main road through this area, dating back to before the first proper highway was built. Some old foundations, chimneys, etc. Haven't checked them out personally though.

Years ago, when I lived farther south, some friends and I used to love doing ghost town tours. I had a field guide that we followed, and drove all over southern Ontario. In some cases, not much was left to see, the minimum being an old cemetery. In very few, there might have been a couple of houses falling down. We were kind of surprised to see buildings put to use by the current landowner, such as an old church and town hall used as storage. The amazing thing was how many places were reviving. Most of those ghost towns declined after a new railway or highway passed them by. With a more mobile population and people looking for a big house in a quiet rural setting while commuting to the city, some of those little villages started to grow again. I recall in one place an abandoned mill had been converted into a luxury riverside home.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »

There's a weird old factory in Preston that has about 3 floors and a ton of broken windows. It has a massive picture of a white kitten above the main door and is right next-door to a popular nightclub. It looks a perfect place for anyone who's homeless to squat it, especially during this time of year.

In Leyland, there's a flat above a Spar store that has been unoccupied for nearly 7 years. I heard that there was a drug bust and two guys got shot in the place. But then I heard from someone else that it was two junkies that just committed suicide. It still surprises me that no-one has been able to (or wanted to) rent it. It always gives me the creeps though when I walk past late and night and look up into the main window.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »

There's one just down the road from me. It's a modern house and all and honestly it's not creepy at all just kind of sad as apparently the owners have since died and now it's just wasting away and gradually falling down. I'm assuming someone owns it somewhere as no one has tried to sell the property so far...honestly the house is beyond repair at this point and going in or near it now could be very dangerous as its bridge is slowly falling down and I wouldn't be surprised to see the roof cave in this winter following a major snowstorm.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:12:58 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »

There was a small amusement park outside of the town where I grew up that was abandoned in the late 70's. For years you could go there and poke around the old rides and attractions.

Surprise! There are whole websites devoted to creepy old amusements parks. There's one that was only open one day before being shut down just because it happened to be located right next to the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
claws
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »

I was just watching abandoned house videos on youtube. Makes you wonder why people abandoned their house to begin with, and why some of them left behind personal belongings like pictures, clothes, notes, toys etc. Did a little online search but there isn't much to find. Some speculate they lost their job and couldn't afford living there anymore, but that doesn't necessarily explain leaving behind personal stuff. Or like Jase said, the owners simply died.
I'm fascinated with abandoned houses, but I'm also super-curious as in why they left.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »

There's an abandoned house not too far from here.  I'd say it's been empty for at least 20 years or so judging by the shape it's in.  It's fascinating to look at, like one of those stress tests where they put a heavy weight on top of something and you see the weakest areas start to bend and then buckle - that's what this thing's doing over a period of decades.  You can see that this support beam broke and the stress was transferred to this other area and now it's sagging and about ready to snap.

There used to be a barn a long ways from here - a long single story thing where the middle part of the walls had sort of tipped over but both ends were still upright, leaving the roof bent in this really artistic swoosh shape lol.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

On the other side of New Orleans, there was Jazzland/ Six Flags New Orleans. It shut down in 2005 and hasn't been repaired, even when friggen Nickelodeon bought it, said that they will fix it up. Still waiting bastards. Hatred

Here a pic of why it got shut down:

yeah no.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »

I think that we have a couple here in Johnstown, CO.  I will have to look.  I stumbled on a new show called Abandoned.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/abandoned/galleries/meet-the-abandoned-team/#jay-chaikin-55509

Good Show.  Worth a watch

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

The most well known one in my town (West Milford, NJ) is the former Jungle Habitat wildlife park, it was a drive-thru safari and amusement area owned by Warner Brothers that closed up in the mid 1970s. I went there once when I was very small but remember next to nothing of it. It was abandoned for many years but over the past decade or so the town has used its massive parking lots to put on July 4th fireworks and other events. The actual park area itself is still fenced off, but I'm told there are still plenty of abandoned buildings and other park structures rotting away in the woods. It's been immortalized in tons of YouTube videos and by "Weird NJ" magazine.

Some memories and pix from a former Jungle Habitat employee:
http://idflux.typepad.com/idflux/2004/02/jungle_habitat.html

There's also the historic Tichenor House, which dates back to the 1750s. Apparently it was the home of one of the town's founding families. It's pretty much a wreck now, it hasn't been inhabited since the 60s to the best of my knowledge:

My kids are fascinated by this place, they call it "The Creepy Green House." Anytime we're out running errands they always ask "Can you go past the Green House, Daddy?"

It's been the subject of numerous "Save the House" campaigns over the years, but apparently nothing came of them, because earlier this year it was announced that the county plans to tear it down. My kids will be bummed when that happens.  

http://www.northjersey.com/community/history/more_history_news/145045295_ZONING_PLANNING_Historic_Tichenor_house_to_be_razed.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:39:07 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »

On the other side of New Orleans, there was Jazzland/ Six Flags New Orleans. It shut down in 2005 and hasn't been repaired, even when friggen Nickelodeon bought it, said that they will fix it up. Still waiting bastards. Hatred

Maybe they are planning to turn it into a waterpark? 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Paquita

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »

There is a giant house built to look like a castle a few blocks from me.  The story is that a hip-hop record label owner wanted to build this and fought with the neighborhood to get it done.  It was never completely finished and is now this poorly imagined shell of a castle-home overlooking the Kennedy expressway, and will probably be vacant and disappointing the neighbors for years to come.  It started out with very handsome entry doors, but they are gone now – I assume stolen or sold by the owner.  For some reason, there is also a great big wooden plank nailed diagonally across one of the cement railing segments at the top now.  I think it’s kind of cool, but poorly designed, there are huge sections of wall where there should probably be windows or something interesting to fill the space.  I wish I knew more about why it was abandoned, but there hasn’t been much news about it recently.  I think it’s currently for sale for about $1-2 million.  Anyone interested?  I would come over and help decorate!

There are some pictures here:
http://www.wurlington-bros.com/Marvelous/castlefree.html

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »

Maybe they are planning to turn it into a waterpark? 

worst, the city is thinking about turning it into an outlet mall. Nick's deal didn't go through.

yeah no.
claws
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »

Here's a pic of the house that's been abandoned since the late 80s in our town.

It's in pretty bad shape now.

Here's a pic of an abandoned villa that is now owned by the city. It's up for sale but only if the buyer is willing to pay for restoration.

This villa was used for exterior shots in the German movie Das fliegende Klassenzimmer (1973) (The Flying Classroom).
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Abandoned houses/buildings/places in your area « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.