Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:59:29 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Attack the Block (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attack the Block (2011)  (Read 4303 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: August 26, 2011, 02:18:28 AM »

Oh I loved this so much.

Small | Large

I didn't really find that trailer too appealing, but I had heard good things. Tempe won some sort of internet contest, so it is currently playing in the Greater Phoenix area before it opens wide in the U.S. I watched it last Sunday.

Here's the basic story: We are first introduced to our hooligans when they mug a defenseless woman, which should not put you on their side. Shortly after that the vanguard of an alien invasion of earth attacks. The rest of the movie you should discover for yourself.

The greatest thing about this movie is how effectively it starts from something small and ramps up from there. There are several moments of this films that I found shocking, and it is fantastic.

My main response to this film was F**K YES.

If there is one film this year that you should make an effort to see, and you will probably have to make an effort to see it, it is Attack the Block. This is a straight up monster film, and some of the most fun I have had at the movies this year. Go watch it.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »

I'm going to see this next week, I have high hopes.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »

It isn't playing near me so I won't be able to see it until it hits DVD.  Such a shame because I've heard good things about it and it sounds like it would be a lot of fun.  This has been the year with a sudden boost in alien invasion movies (Super 8, Cowboys & Aliens, Battle Los Angeles, etc.) so does this mean that aliens now the in thing?

http://www.spill.com/Audio/AudioPost.aspx?audioId=680

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pilgermann

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

I, too, plan on checking this one out sometime in the coming week.  The buzz is pretty darn good on this so hopefully I don't get my hopes too high.  Haven't watched a trailer, yet, don't think I will.

Vik
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:47:16 AM »

Looks very good, seeing it soon.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

I got my hopes too high.  I liked the flick, but not nearly as much as Mofo.  I'd say its an enjoyable popcorn flick, but not a must see.  A few thoughts:

*The main novelty here, for Americans, is the setting.  We're not used to seeing "chavs" or "council houses."  You could easily see it set in the projects, though, so we can relate.
*The accents are thick and full of unfamiliar slang, so I couldn't catch a lot of the dialogue.
*Since it focuses on characterization and people being slowly picked off by an overwhelming force lurking outside, there's a strong NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD feel to it.
*They did do a good job of creating a spectacle on a medium-sized budget.  I can't say I'm crazy about the creature's physical gimmick, though.
*I like that they did take a stab at explaining the alien's hunting behavior in a somewhat plausible way.
*I think blockbuster fatigue may account for the film's popularity.  It's nice to see something that's character-focused with a few explosions, rather than the other way around.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Vik
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »

I just discovered that no any theatre near me is screening this film  Hatred It was one of the few releases this year I'm actually excited about for once.
Vik
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »

Just saw it, and liked it quite a bit  Thumbup A fun ride from beginning to end, however not perfect.
benjamindlevin
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »

Watched it and loved it.  I am an American and did not find the slang or accents to be difficult to follow.  The movie was simply good overall fun.  This isn't a head scratcher.  This is a straight forward movie which lays everything out on the table.  No under-lying message to take away, just sit back nosh on your popcorn and enjoy.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »

Looks good, will have to watch it.   Thumbup

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »

Just picked up the DVD today and finished watching it moments ago.  That was awesome.  I think it was the best alien invasion movie we had this year (though I still have to see Super 8) and I appreciated the amount of characterization that went into making these characters more well rounded than I've seen in other movies of this type.  Solid action, good acting, good humor, good scares, and a very good soundtrack.  My only problem is that I had trouble occasionally understanding the characters, but that can't be helped.

I give a solid 9 out of 10, though it's not my favorite film this year.  It might have been if  I haven't seen so many good films this year.  Still, sci-fi and monster fans should check this out.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »

I agree with the Rev on this one.  Good fun, good performances, well-made, but not the amazing all-time classic some are calling it.  I will say I found some of the accents in the beginning very hard to understand, but after about 15 minutes in, the slang seemed to get easier to follow.  Also, any of the major points in dialogue were always spoken in a way that was easy to understand.

7/10.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »

I confused it with Attack the Gas Station.
WhenBadMoviesAttack
PhD. In Sarcasm and Patronising.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »

I've saw this film a few times now and to be honest with you guys. I LOVE UK gritty films.
This film opened promising and followed through with it until about 40 minutes in, after that, it felt washed.

But the very ending rubbed me the wrong way. Ever heard of the saying "Mary Sue"?
Its basically when a Ordinary person has some kind of hidden power (or level head throughout) and somehow, even though being human, turns into a super hero, conquering impossible tasks without breaking a sweat.

Still, overall a good film if I'm honest.
dean

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »

Just watched it and loved it.  I wouldn't call it an instant classic, but a damn enjoyable film with some great characters.  One of my favourite films of the year.  Whoever did the casting should be awarded a medal: all the kids did a great job.  The soundtrack was pretty banging too.

Looking into the credits, not surprised that Edgar Wright had a hand in this, and that the director, Joe Cornish, was a writer on Big Train [love that show].  Definitely looking forward to seeing more from him.

Its interesting a couple of the people who posted on this thread who didn't like it so much struggled with the accents but I found it easy to follow [the Brixton accent almost sounds Kiwi at times] and moreover it was actually quite witty but I can imagine that can be hard to follow if you don't know what exactly they're on about.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Attack the Block (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.