Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:36 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Criks and Rufs « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Criks and Rufs  (Read 9805 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: August 27, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »

This is a totally nonsensical post...but I noticed some people say the words "creek" and "roof" as "crik" and "ruf". I'm one of them.
Is it a midwestern thing...or is it global?

Someone pointed it out to me the other day...they were from Jersey.
Im a Michigander.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:34:23 AM »

First time reading this. It must be a local thing  Wink
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »

First time reading this. It must be a local thing  Wink

Sure...SUUUURE! Yer guilty!  TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »

The first time I heard "creek" pronounced "crik" was years n' years ago when I was a kid and we went to a family reunion somewhere in Ohio. One of our distant cousins (an Ohio native) asked my brother and I if we wanted to "catch some fish down by the crik" and we said "by the what?"  TeddyR

They also call soda "pop" out that way too, which was a new one on us at the time. "You boys want some pop?" "Some what?"

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »

The first time I heard "creek" pronounced "crik" was years n' years ago when I was a kid and we went to a family reunion somewhere in Ohio. One of our distant cousins (an Ohio native) asked my brother and I if we wanted to "catch some fish down by the crik" and we said "by the what?"  TeddyR

They also call soda "pop" out that way too, which was a new one on us at the time. "You boys want some pop?" "Some what?"

Where ya from? It is pop!!!!
I freaked out when I was in New York.."Wanna Soda?" .
"Huh?"
Huh?
"POP! Sure!"

I think it is homegrown dialect.

We usta steal pop from one of them old vending machines that had the glass bottles of Nehi ,
You'd put yer 15 cents in-and if you grabbed a neck and yer brother grabbed one...you'd get 2 pops for 15 cents!
Gee...that was in 1971. I was 9.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:01:27 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

Regional dialects are fascinating!

Where I grew up, the rural kids often had a very different way of speaking and a different set of words for familiar things - or so it seemed.

I heard 'crik' from them, and 'ruf'.  But...it is always 'pop'!  'Soda' was something we heard from the tourists/summer people who came up from NY State.

G'Day, eh?   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »

Regional dialects are fascinating!

Where I grew up, the rural kids often had a very different way of speaking and a different set of words for familiar things - or so it seemed.

I heard 'crik' from them, and 'ruf'.  But...it is always 'pop'!  'Soda' was something we heard from the tourists/summer people who came up from NY State.

G'Day, eh?   Wink

Ay?
Canada.
I noticed that yoopers (from upper Michigan-think Red Green) talk like Canucks.
Yeh...the Chicago folks always came to Michigan...they said "soda pop" which gave me a clue why some forgieners sed "soda".

And yeah...I was very rural...we lived onna dead end road. The bus wouldnt even take it in the winter. We had to walk a half mile to the corner of 3 Mile Lake road.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:07:50 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »

I don't recall for sure, but I believe my dad uses those pronunciations. He has something of a regional accent from the part of Ontario where he grew up. Probably most common among those who grew up before TV or easy car travel, when rural communities were more insulated. Dad's hometown was rural, far from large populations and predominantly Scottish, and he grew up in the 1930s and 40s. Newt will probably be familiar with Flesherton; it's still pretty far off the beaten path. Dad definitely has a strong element of what's properly called Canadian raising (http://www.yorku.ca/twainweb/troberts/raising.html), along with some peculiar pronunciations.

He might say "On Sairdee morning, I'm going to clean out the Gradge and trow out all the garbeedge, so it's nice when cumpny comes to the hoase on Choosdee."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:15:12 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »

Ah Flesherton: the heart of farm country!  Seems to me your dad would have had a claim to a Scottish accent.

Did he invite visitors to come set in the dooryard, Andy?  My neighbours did. They also had 'idears' and 'warshed' their hands.  My parents were from Toronto, so I had to become somewhat 'bilingual' once I was in school.  And being near Ottawa we had our share of Quebecois French: drove the French teachers in the schools crazy!  Buggedout
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:21:04 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »

I don't recall for sure, but I believe my dad uses those pronunciations. He has something of a regional accent from the part of Ontario where he grew up. Probably most common among those who grew up before TV or easy car travel, when rural communities were more insulated. Dad's hometown was rural, far from large populations and predominantly Scottish, and he grew up in the 1930s and 40s. Newt will probably be familiar with Flesherton; it's still pretty far off the beaten path. Dad definitely has a strong element of what's properly called Canadian raising (http://www.yorku.ca/twainweb/troberts/raising.html), along with some peculiar pronunciations.

He might say "On Sairdee morning, I'm going to clean out the Gradge and trow out all the garbeedge, so it's nice when cumpny comes to the hoase on Choosdee."

Sounds like us backwoods Michiganders. When I went to NYC in the 80's...I couldnt understand wtf they were saying...or them me.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »

Did he invite visitors to come set in the dooryard, Andy?

Door yard...hahahah...I use that one....it's the porch.
In NYC the Dooryard,or porch,was the steps.
We also called it the front stoop.
"Grab a pop-sit onna front stoop Listen to the radio."

I know its supposed to be RAYdio-but I say RADio.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:26:41 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 09:37:40 AM »

Ah Flesherton: the heart of farm country!  Seems to me your dad would have had a claim to a Scottish accent.

Did he invite visitors to come set in the dooryard, Andy?  My neighbours did. They also had 'idears' and 'warshed' their hands.  My parents were from Toronto, so I had to become somewhat 'bilingual' once I was in school.  And being near Ottawa we had our share of Quebecois French: drove the French teachers in the schools crazy!  Buggedout

No to "dooryard" and "idear," but a big yes to "warsh." He does warsh things. Oh, and he does sometimes get a sore troat.

As for da Quebec French, I know about dis as well. I have a sister-in-law from da Cornwall area.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:42:03 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »

Many even down in South Texas say "crik." Fewer still say "ruf," but I do hear it. That, and "rut" for "root," as in "Give me a rut beer."

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »

Many even down in South Texas say "crik." Fewer still say "ruf," but I do hear it. That, and "rut" for "root," as in "Give me a rut beer."

Hey-it is rut beer!  Drink

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »

Hey-it is rut beer!  Drink

Made me think of the Hanson Brothers, from Slap Shot. "Gimme a grape or an orange, and none o' that stinkin' rutbeer!"

Their accent is actually pretty close to what I remember of some of the kids I grew up around. Especially the pronunciation of "corter," as in "The machine took my corter."

---------------------
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Criks and Rufs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.