Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:51:00 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Criks and Rufs « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Criks and Rufs  (Read 10072 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »

Where ya from? It is pop!!!!
I freaked out when I was in New York.."Wanna Soda?" .
"Huh?"
Huh?
"POP! Sure!"

I'm from New Jersey... and here it's always been SODA, dammit!  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »

Well, down here in NOLA, we have different ways of saying stuff, as in y'all instead of you guys and yamommanem (pronounced ya-momma-and-them)

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »

Well, down here in NOLA, we have different ways of saying stuff, as in y'all instead of you guys and yamommanem (pronounced ya-momma-and-them)

Groovy! I love it! THATS why I posted this,I reckon.  Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »

Where ya from? It is pop!!!!
I freaked out when I was in New York.."Wanna Soda?" .
"Huh?"
Huh?
"POP! Sure!"

I'm from New Jersey... and here it's always been SODA, dammit!  TeddyR

I Lived in NYC for 3 years in the 80's--hell-I was born in the Bronx-but lived my life in the backwoods of Michigan.
In New York they sed "Joisy".
"Lets go to Joisy-get some beeh-Its cheepah deah."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:23:11 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 11:24:49 AM »

In Wyoming when I was a kid...Crik was standard. But always ROOF. 

Out here in Oregon. My wife's relations say stuff like "Boughten" like "I had boughten apples at the store".

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »

In the South all soda/pop is called Coke or Co'cola.

"What kind of Co'cola do you want, Mountain Dew or RC?"

Also you can if somebody like a family or not. If they say "Thelma and 'em are comin over for dinner" they like them. Not so much if they say "Thelma and that bunch are comin over for dinner".

I have a friend from Philly who swears he can always tell a fellow Philly-ite by the way the pronounce 'water' as 'wooder'.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »

I don't know what the background of of our esteemed governor Jan Brewer is, but I once heard her, obviously trying to appeal to the Teaparty crowd, saying how her campaign is "grass ruts." And she said it multiple times, really accentuating the "ruts" part. I was hearing it in my sleep for days.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »

Actually we call soda/cola "pop" here too. Actually sometimes it's called simply "drink" too. "I'm going to get a glass of drink " here refers to soda. I still have the occasional caffeine free pop from time to time.

Dialects here actually differ from one area to another, those who live in cities have a totally different accent from those who don't and there's even differences from west and east and south coasts. Those who speak here quickly with a strong Newfie dialect will sound like someone speaking another language to a mainlander unless they get said person to slow down their speech.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »

I grew up in Queens, NY.  For me it was SODA. I put things in a BAG, not a SACK (upstate NY thing).  As a kid I loved the word "ain't", not proper English, but I still use it and love the word.  TeddyR

I moved to Long Island, NY when I was 20. Spent 25 years there and acquired the dreaded "LOONNGG EyeeeLannd" accent.

In 1999-2001 moved to southwest Florida.  I never uttered "Ya'll", but did say, "Where you at?"

Since 2001 I have lived in northeast PA - Pocono Mountain region.  I am surrounded by transplants from NY and NJ.  We understand each other perfectly.  Native Pennsylvanians?  Do they have regional dialects? Maybe. I'm not sure.  I only know a few.  I don't know where the rest of them live.   But Pennsylvania is a BIG STATE!   TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »

In New York they sed "Joisy".
"Lets go to Joisy-get some beeh-Its cheepah deah."

I've spent most of my life in New Jersey but went to Staten Island, New York to attend college. Most of the kids at my school were commuters from the other NYC boroughs, particularly Brooklyn, so there was a lot of "Eyyy, yo, wassup muthafugga, how ya doin'?" going on. After spending a few months surrounded by people who talked that way, it was probably inevitable that I'd pick up the dreaded "Noo Yawk" accent, but I didn't think it would happen so quickly. When I went home for my first holiday break during my freshman year, I noticed my brother kept looking at me oddly whenever I spoke to him so I finally said "What's your problem?" and he said "You're talking weird, man."

I didn't realize what he meant at the time, but then a couple of days later I caught myself tellling someone that I went to college in "Noo Yawk" and I literally clapped my hand over my mouth, like "Oh my GOD, I'm becoming one of THEM!"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:09:20 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »

Funny how quickly you can pick up an accent that isn't your own. It's happened to me, albeit temporarily, in situations where I've spent time in close quarters with people. When I was in high school, I went on a joint family vacation with my parents and my brother's French Canadian in-laws, to visit my brother and his wife. After about a week and a 'alf of dat, I caught myself using just a faint 'int of da same accent as dose udder people.

Growing up in the middle of Mennonite country, there was a whole other accent that was spoken by a sizable chunk of the population. I have several friends back home who are from a more mainstream branch and don't really have more than a trace of the accent, but grew up with parents and extended families who did. They could all do hilarious imitations, as could I. But what was really freaky was when we went on camping trips together, back in the early 90s. Just maybe four of us, not talking much to anyone but each other. The Mennonite accents started gradually coming out of these guys, I would assume just building off each other. But I also caught myself unconsciously doing it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »

We don't say none of that silly talk over here y'all.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »

Have ye pud the tetties on fer suppar?

Dem damn harses have god oudda de shud agin mudder...

Arn? (Did you get any fish today?)

Narn. (No I didn't)

Um headed downsteirs to warsh me close. Talk to ya lateter bye!

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »

Around this way in the Philadelphia area, I notice a lot of people pronounce water as 'wooder'. You know, wood with an er at the end.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »

Have ye pud the tetties on fer suppar?

Tetties for supper?  Buggedout

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Criks and Rufs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.