Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:37 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  European 'apathetic teenage killer' movie « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: European 'apathetic teenage killer' movie  (Read 3505 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 09, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »

I just wanted to describe this movie, rather than find a name for it, but if anyone knows what it is, it would be interesting.

I saw it on SBS (Australian foreign movie channel) in the mid 90's: a European movie, possibly Dutch, about a respectable, well to do suburban family with an only child.  The son is obsessed with videotaping everything, but has an apathetic 'why not' attitude towards everything else.

In the course of the movie, the boy leaves a camera running while he assaults and kills a girl in the family home using a zip gun.  His parents later watch this movie in absolute horror.  And then the father promptly decides to clean up.

The father and mother chop up the body in the bathtub and dispose of the pieces, and get rid of the zip gun.  Everything seems like they are in the clear until the police arrive.  It seems that the boy videotaped his parents disposing of the body, and turned over the tape to the police.  Why?  Just because he could, he shrugs.

The movie is quite understated and has little if any gore.  The horror is all psychological and the brutality is always implied rather than shown.  I'm interested to know if anyone else has seen it, and if they know what the name is.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Skull
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »

Sounds like an intresting movie, I have not seen it but it does sound like a hitchcock plot device that maybe inspired from the Hitchcock TV show and modernize (since there was no video recording devices in the 1960's, I've looked at the Dutch horror/thriller/crime story... there isnt many dutch films in those Genre and I'm not seeing it... there is a ton of drama i'm currently looking thru.

I've also IMDB zipgun and only found 4 movies with such a reference. It's likely the movie isnt well known enough or that the zipgun (either isnt a zipgun or it's wasnt seen a nessary item for the movie)

rynn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:39:56 AM »

I'm almost certain you're thinking of Michael Haneke's Benny's Video.
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »

Rynn, that was very well spotted.  I've just seen the trailers and scenes on Youtube and Benny's Video is the movie.  Mind you, I never really wanted to know what the movie was, only had one of those oxymoronic 'fascinated revulsion' moments with it.  I wasn't expecting to find the name, either.  Well done!  Thumbup

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
rynn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:40:57 AM »

Sorry - I didn't see the comment about the name being unimportant until after I had already eagerly named the film!

Still, if you thought Benny's Video was creepy, and you want more in that vein, you should definitely check out some of Haneke's other films. I liken watching his films to having a long, uninteresting conversation with an acquaintance who suddenly punches you hard in the face without warning or provocation. Cache and Funny Games are good for that shock effect.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  European 'apathetic teenage killer' movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.