Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:05:37 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Cheapskate Bragging Thread « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Cheapskate Bragging Thread  (Read 5882 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 01, 2011, 04:59:48 AM »

Seemed like there might be a few of us who have come up with some ingenious ways to save money, especially on things that are overpriced to begin with.

This occurred to me as I was refilling the black toner on my laser printer. Not only does each cartridge cost about $80, but it is set up such that it reads empty while it is still more than half full. That was easily disabled with a piece of tape over the sensor. The sensor is backed up by a flag gear that turns as the cartridge is used, but that takes a few seconds and a screwdriver to reset. Eventually, the toner does run out.

There are no cheaper store-brand options for this printer, just the expensive cartridges from Brother. Buying refilled ones online is still not cheap enough to suit me, and I never do get around to buying bulk toner before I run out. But there is another way.

I go to the office store and find the cheapest black toner cartridge - a store brand refill that doesn't have the drum or any other part of the mechanism on it. It's about $30. I pry the end off that with a screwdriver, stick a funnel in the empty cartridge and dump the toner in. It's less than half the price, I can still pick it up at the local store, and it only takes a couple of extra minutes. I've done it a couple of times, and the old cartridge continues to work just fine.

Take that, thieving corporation.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:58:18 AM »

^ BounceGiggle   Is this based on my latest FB status?   Thumbup

Yes I am cheap, very much so.  I tell my kids two important things regarding money, never turn down a free lunch and never pay full price. 

I got a free coffee from the local gas station today.  Every first of the month they give one away.  I got the biggest cup I could.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »

I bought a new set of wind chimes for $1.  Regularly $10 but 90% off.

DarkSider's Realm

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »

Dollar Tree is the best store in the world. That's all I have to say on the subject, and also being cheap with other stuff just means I can buy more DVDS TeddyR

Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »

Dollar Tree is the best store in the world. That's all I have to say on the subject, and also being cheap with other stuff just means I can buy more DVDS TeddyR

I love Dollar stores!  They can sometimes be a challenge. I have seen stuff in Dollar stores that I can't figure out what they are ....  TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »

I love Dollar Stores.  Especially when I was a kid, and you'd see the cheap brand of Soda or action figures.  Instead of Mountain Dew you'd find Mountain Holler.  And instead of like, G.I. Joe you would find G.I. Jim.  Instead of Power Rangers you'd see a similarly designed toy to cash in on the franchise with a knockoff name.  It kept me very happy cause I never had much money growing up, and while I'd get the big stuff at Christmas, the Dollar Store kept me at bay during the rest of the year.

To get back on topic though, I regularly shop at The Dollar Store for everyday stuff.  I pop into stores like CVS as well.  I recently went to CVS and they had a deal on soap.  2 packages of soap for $7.  I walked out of there with 16 bars of soap for $7.  Went back the next day with another $7 and got 16 more.  I'm good for a while.  The corner store here charges $3 for ONE bar of soap, and it's the smallest bar available. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:49:17 AM »

We have our version of the dollar stores:  Crazy Clark's or The Reject Shop.  They have really cheap everything, but especially toilet paper and personal grooming products.  In regular stores brand name shampoo and conditioner are usually $6 each and up but in the cheapie shops - $2 each.

I also buy cheap hair conditioner for use as fabric softener which works like a charm.  And I use the cheapie body wash in the pump bottles for dishwashing liquid.  Lathers way better than the cheap dishwashing liquids do and makes my dishes and kitchen smell pretty Smile

Cheap baby talcum powder can be used as a carpet freshener.  The pricey ones in the supermarket are about $5.  I just sprinkle baby powder over the carpet, leave it for 15 mins and then vacuum.  Voila! Refreshed carpets, nice smelling apartment and heaps of money left in the purse.

Regular soap also works well in washing the toilet, bath, shower and bathroom tiles. too.  Instead of all the back breaking elbow grease and harsh smelling chemicals, I use bar soap or liquid soap, whichever is cheapest and then use the brush from a cheap dustpan and brush set and use that brush to scrub.

It's amazing how well it works and how easy it is to get everything clean with very little effort.

Lastly, I hate those chemical spray air fresheners for the toilet.  So I've started using the cheap body sprays for women.  They smell nicer and aren't as harsh on the nose.  And more impotantly, they are inexpensive and last a long time because they're so strong so you only use a litte each time.

I'll post more tips as I think of them.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:01:23 AM »

I smoke. The cost of cigerrettes is ridiculous. But GAMBLER and BUGLER runs about 4 bucks a package,and they last much longer. And you can role the butts when yer out .
Use cheap dish soap instead of laundry soap.
Wrap leftovers in used bread bags instead of Saran Wrap.
Baking soda works as toothpaste.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 06:03:10 AM »

South Africa's version: www.crazystore.co.za ~ they sell almost everything except clothing and food. No second hand underpants neither.  Bluesad Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 07:26:36 AM »

Back when my hair was long, I would buy half gallon bottles of Baby Shampoo.   We use Pepsodent tooth paste because it 's only a buck. 

For cheap electronics and DVDs Big Lots is the place to go.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »

I use generic brands a lot, especially for food.  I find I prefer the store brand over the name brand.

Money saving idea for preserving cereal.  Put it in the fridge after opening it.  It will last twice as long. 

DarkSider's Realm

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »

I'm so cheap I didn't go to my High School Graduation or Prom cause I didn't want to spend the money involved.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »

I buy stationary and that sort of tstuff from pound shops.

That sort of stuff can be pricy from more regular high street chains.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Cheapskate Bragging Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.