Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:32 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  George Lucas F'd up again! We must stop the Madness! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: George Lucas F'd up again! We must stop the Madness!  (Read 29370 times)
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »

Looked at the picture and do not get it.  Who is the lady?

Come on Later John, don't you see the `Han shot first t-shirt' that Lucas is wearing?

Oh, the shirt.  Now I get it.

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »

Sheesh, what's he gonna do next? Replace the stormtrooper blasters with walkie talkies?
66Crush
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 05:52:17 PM »

As far as this being a "fanboy issue" NO SH*T! I'M SORRY, BUT I THOUGHT THIS WAS A SITE WHERE YOU WERE WELCOME TO COMPLAIN ABOUT MOVIES! I don't understand why people click on a topic (let alone post a comment) if they don't want to listen to the complaining.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 01:37:01 AM »

I don't mind Lucas adding a bit of extra polish to his movies, or even fixing effects he couldn't originally do the way he wanted. Blinking Ewoks strike me as a bit nitpicky, but it is a small thing that probably does enhance the scenes in a subtle way. It's the changes that mess up the storytelling that bother me. Darth Vader saying "No" makes that scene less dramatic than when he just silently took action. At the very least, it doesn't improve anything, and seems completely unnecessary. Same with Han shooting in self defense, as opposed to shooting first. It changes the character, makes him less of a scumbag at the beginning, and thus diminishes his heroic turn later on. Lucas is fixing things that I think worked better as they were.

I don't like any changes, but what you say makes sense.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »

I will add the theatrical versions did get a DVD release as a bonus disc in the one release.  This is the version I have.  Unfortunately, they're simply the same transfers as the final THX LaserDisc releases and are non-anamorphic, so if you have a good quality LaserDisc player and the original THX LDs, you'd actually get a better picture (you always lose quality when transferring to an analog source).  Still, the quality is still what I'd call "pretty good", just disappointing that "pretty good" is all I can get of an original cut of one of the most popular films of all time. 

I really don't understand it, personally - this is obviously not a money grab, as many people say, as it's fairly obvious Lucas could release the original theatrical cuts on a super duper special edition and charge a lot more for it, and they would sell very well.  The only conclusion one can reach is he genuinely believes he is improving the films - though why he doesn't want extra money and the ability to please his fans more is still baffling to me.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »

Lucas kind of reminds me of those people you hear about who are addicted to plastic surgery. They keep tampering with their looks because for some deeper reason they are never satisfied with their appearance. Eventually they look completely messed up, but they don't notice because the issue is all in their minds. I think the guy is trying to relive his past glory.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »

Lucas kind of reminds me of those people you hear about who are addicted to plastic surgery. They keep tampering with their looks because for some deeper reason they are never satisfied with their appearance. Eventually they look completely messed up, but they don't notice because the issue is all in their minds. I think the guy is trying to relive his past glory.

Probably the best analogy there is.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »

Maybe he needs someone to rein him in. All the movies he made earlier in his career had tighter budgets, as well as producers and execs advising him. Because he didn't have the money or the freedom he has now, he had to make every dollar and every inch of film count. 

The reason the changes bother me slightly, though, is not because of "art" or anything, but rather the fact that every time he does this the movies go on sale at full price just because of something as minor as Ewoks blinking.
Frizzurd
New Visitor

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 01:04:21 AM »

Just don't buy it this time people. Everyone complains and then they go and buy it.
66Crush
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »

Trust me on this, I won't be buying these. I still watch my old VHS of "Return of the Jedi" so I don't have to look at the ghost of Hayden Christiansen (I don't care how he spells his name either, so I won't even bother with Spell Check!) instead of the original actor. The other stuff on the special editions didn't bother me, but that one just made me sick. It's the fact that George Lucas is tweeking them, yet again that bugs me. Why bother at this point? It's like he really is becoming the "South Park" version of himself.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:23 PM »

I was going to buy the Blu Ray versions as I don't own this classic series. Oh well, guess I'll just acqures the normal version of each DVD.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »

I was going to buy the Blu Ray versions as I don't own this classic series. Oh well, guess I'll just acqures the normal version of each DVD.

See, that there is my predicament. I want to buy the original trilogy, but I'd prefer to get the cut (or as close as possible) I saw when I was a kid. I'm finally able to afford a box set of the first three, but what I'm buying may not be what I want.
Archivist

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 03:51:29 AM »

See, that there is my predicament. I want to buy the original trilogy, but I'd prefer to get the cut (or as close as possible) I saw when I was a kid. I'm finally able to afford a box set of the first three, but what I'm buying may not be what I want.

Consider that if you have not seen the movies for a long time, you might not remember exactly what they were like when you were a kid.  A slightly updated version might pass, for all intents and purposes.  But this 'Nooooooooo' cr@p has got to stop.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
66Crush
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »

There were versions that came out a few years ago that had the original theatrical versions as a bonus disc, I was thinking of buying the "Return of the Jedi" one, but seeing as how I only watch the movie about once a year, I figured it was a waste of money. I like all the special features and making of docs, but I don't think I'll buy the same movie over and over again (unless it's damaged or as a VHS replacement). Most of the DVD's I find at a good price are ones that are about to be re-released. I got "Predator" about a month before it was re-released with all the special features. Good movie but I'm not going to buy it twice.
Archivist

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:29 AM »

It's like he really is becoming the "South Park" version of himself.

Harrison Ford had better watch his a$$.  TeddyR

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  George Lucas F'd up again! We must stop the Madness! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.