Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:33:15 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ABSENTIA (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ABSENTIA (2011)  (Read 4032 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »

I must say that indie horror films are slowly forcing me to reconsider my generally negative opinion of independent cinema!  First, there was GRAVE ENCOUNTERS, one of the best horror movies I have ever seen in my life, and tonight, I watched ABSENTIA -  a remarkable film shot on a $70,000 budget that delivered some of the most genuine chills I have ever experienced!

Here is the backstory:
Seven years ago, Daniel Walker (last name may be wrong on this characted; IMDB gave first names only) disappeared without a trace after stepping out one evening.  His wife Tricia faithfully put out posters and offered rewards until finally she despaired of his life.  As she prepares to have him officially declared dead, her sister Callie shows up to help her get through the whole process - a process complicated by the fact that Tricia has fallen in love with the detective who investigated the case, and is eight months pregnant with his child.  Tricia tries to balance her turbulent emotions with Buddhist meditation, while Callie is a recent convert to Christianity (Her nightly prayer is one I can identify with - "Lord, help me get my sh## together, in Jesus' name, Amen!").

But as Tricia goes through the legal motions, she begins seeing Daniel - lonely and tormented at first, then angry, then desperately trying to communicate.  Her psychologist assures her that they are "lucid dreams" and nothing more.  But then, the day the certificate arrives in the mail and she prepares to go out on a real, actual date with her detective lover, Daniel appears in the street in front of her house . .  . emaciated, amnesiac, and haunted by some awful ordeal - but tangible and real!

Where has he been?  Why could no one but Tricia see him at first?  And how is his disappearance linked to the creepy pedestrian tunnel that goes under the highway near his house - where strange things seem to have a knack for happening?

This one has LOTS of twists and turns, and a couple of honest to gosh jump moments.  Tense, cerebral, and compelling, this little horror film is nothing short of brilliant.  You MUST see this movie!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:52:54 AM »

I noticed this one in the new releases and thought it sounded interesting. I'll have to bump it up in my queue.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »

Sounds really interesting, I'll have to check it out sometime.  Thanks for the tip Indy.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

I think in this movie's case, the low budget really helped it. Instead of shooting for big FX shots, which they would not have been able to afford, they get to step back and focus on the development of the characters. By focusing on how the characters react to the horrible fact of the disappearance, while only being dimly aware of the sinister truth beneath, the movie becomes much better than what could have been an average slash-em-up.

I didn't think it was perfect. Some of the direction and action could really use some polishing up. There's also some really clumsily done exposition at points. However, it is well worth checking out by anybody looking for a good atmospheric horror film. I don't even have to give it extra points for its low-budget, it stands on its own.

4 of 5 stars.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

Another instance of talent trumping budget as several scenes that would involve jump scares if produced by people with less talent did achieve quite effective atmosphere.

Its quite emotional at times; I forgot how scary it could be at times.

Despite not being related to the Cthulhu mythos, its probably a competitor for closest to an accurate Lovecraft adaption.

I probably wouldn't have ever watched it if you hadn't suggested it, thanks.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »

I'd kinda like to re-watch this one myself.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
voltron

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

I just finished watching it. A decent (but flawed) effort. I thought the premise was very good and it definitely has some genuinely creepy moments. I applaud the low budget attempts at creating an atmosphere of unease, but the film didn't quite grab me the way it should. Always nice to see an American horror film that doesn't rely on cheap jump scares, cgi, or excessive gore, but honestly I think the film could've been a wee bit better than it was. Still, I'd give it a solid 3/5.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:29:51 PM »

I'd give it a 4 out of 5 myself, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ABSENTIA (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.