Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:11 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Smell-O-Vision « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Smell-O-Vision  (Read 2767 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: September 13, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »

When Spy Kids 4-D: All the Time in the World pop into theaters, along did an strange old movie gimmick that I thought died a slow and painful death back in the 90's when it tried moving to cartoons: smell-o-vision.  Probably not the official term, but it is basically you get a card to go with a movie, you scratch a certian section when the number for it pops up on screen, and you smell something.

I know some movies had done that before in the past (probably before my time) and Nickeledon did that once with a couple of shows (which is how I am very familiar with the concept), but I never thought it pop up once more.

For those of you who are more familiar with this concept or probably have encountered it more than I did, what are your thoughts on it and how many movies ever used this smelly idea?  Also, would you say it is more useless than 3D?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »

That sounds stupid and pointless. I want to watch the damn movie! I'm not gonna stop so I can scratch a stupid card that smells like something nasty! That just wastes my time.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:26:32 PM »

I wanted to see John Waters' POLYESTER when it was in the theater so I could experience the scratch and sniff odors of a John Waters movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »

Perhaps they should bring back "Feel-A-Round"

Small | Large

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »

Perhaps they should bring back "Feel-A-Round"

I prefer "do it myself" feel around . . . but that's another story.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »

Wow, is this serious?  They really had a scratch-and-sniff adjunct to some movies?  That is wacky.

I'm just thinking about handing someone dried toilet paper in the darkness of the theatre.  "No, this is the right one, try this one!"

I'd be more impressed with one of those scent-generators automatically pumping out fumes as different scenes roll by.  Salty air smells for the beach, sweet perfume for the femme fatales, and brackish swamp gas for the black lagoon.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »

I'd be more impressed with one of those scent-generators automatically pumping out fumes as different scenes roll by.  Salty air smells for the beach, sweet perfume for the femme fatales, and brackish swamp gas for the black lagoon.

SCENT OF MYSTERY (1960) ustilized the thrilling innovation called Smell-O-Vision (really) where they actually tried something like that. Apparently the process - stank.

According to Variety, aromas were released with a distracting hissing noise and audience members in the balcony complained that the scents reached them several seconds after the action was shown on the screen. In other parts of the theater, the odors were too faint, causing audience members to sniff loudly in an attempt to catch the scent.

John Water's scratch and sniff Odorama, on the other hand,  actually works. I've got a reproduction of the original card that came with my copy of POLYESTER.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
benjamindlevin
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 07:16:42 AM »

The only one I know of was Polyester... what else has used this?  I see "Scent of Mystery" is mentioned, but I am totally in the dark on this as being something widely used.

Also, Spy Kids is doing this totally as a gag more than a gimmick.  The last one was in 3-D, so this one had to do one better... I see it more as a joke really.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »

Back in the 1970s or 80s Hustler or Penthouse (or one of those "gentlemen's" magazines) had a scratch and sniff centerfold.  I remember adolescent boys coming from miles around when they found out someone had a copy.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »

Back in the 1970s or 80s Hustler or Penthouse (or one of those "gentlemen's" magazines) had a scratch and sniff centerfold.  I remember adolescent boys coming from miles around when they found out someone had a copy.

Pheromones?  BounceGiggle

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Archivist

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

What, the kids didn't have a tin of sardines handy?  TeddyR

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Smell-O-Vision « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.