Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:53:55 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  "Dead Island" SUCKS. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Dead Island" SUCKS.  (Read 15559 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« on: September 14, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »

I just got this game, and it REALLY sucks. SOOOO repetitive, and senseless at times. Not the good kind of senseless either. I've been playing single player, and I must say the trailers are the only impressive thing I've seen yet. Here's some of the points that IMO make it horrible:

NO SWITCHING WEAPONS: That's right, you have to either go into the menu to change weapons, or throw the one you're using away.

FUTILITY: You can be using a canoe paddle as a weapon, and you still have a reach disadvantage against someone with no weapon at all. What's worse is that coming up behind them and hitting them in the back of the head makes them instantly turn and swing, knocking you on your ass.

STUPID MENU SYSTEM: For one, the 'mouse speed' setting in the options goes for both in-game and in-menu. That said, when the mouse is OK in-game, it is about 1/100 as fast as it should be in the menu. I have to pick up the mouse and move it 4-5 times just to get across the screen in the menu. Otherwise it just isn't laid out that well.

STUPID INVENTORY SYSTEM: You can carry 12 weapons, but seemingly unlimited amounts of other crap you don't have a need for yet.

STUPID MONEY SYSTEM: Every time you die, you lose money. That said, you can use money to upgrade and repair weapons, but it's rather expensive and weapons have a limited life. It's REALLY hard to gather enough money to actually do anything with it.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »

All valid complaints.  I gave up on the game after about the billionth time I completed a quest only to learn that, oops, it was all for nothing and I had to go do yet another quest to accomplish the same damn thing my previous quest was supposed to.

"Go get us some food."
"Not enough food.  Go get some more."
"That's a decent amount of food but it won't last long.  Go get some more."
"Ok, we've got enough food - for now - but we need water.  Go get some."
"Not enough water.  Go get some more."
"Still not enough water.  You have to go on a side quest to get a new vehicle that can make it to a new part of the map in order to find more water.  Oh, and we're also out of food again."

Etc, etc, ad infinitum.  It's not a zombie outbreak game, it a damned level grinding game.

The only part of the game I enjoyed was when the character I was playing, the blunt weapons expert, lost it during a cutscene and basically said "F*** these whiny-ass people and their fetch quests, I'm just gonna find a boat and get my ass out of here!"  Unfortunately, you don't actually have the option to do that, you have to keep playing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:44:50 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:35:46 AM »

I've been enjoying it somewhat, but it's one of those games where, well...last night I played it for a while, took a break, and I would have been just as happy to turn it off and do something else as I would have been to continue.   It is really repetitive - fetch quest after fetch quest.  And I don't give a damn about any of these people I'm getting stuff for.  They just stand in one spot "Hey, could you help me?"  Then you get whatever it is they want and you get some XP and money or a slightly better weapon.  It's just level grinding really. 

The part at the end of Act 1 where you're in that hotel was kind of cool.  At least it had a bit of horror atmosphere about it.  I thought maybe the game was progressing, that now the story would start, that there would be a change in atmosphere and new stuff to do - but no.  Now that I'm in the city it's exactly the same thing as being on the beach, just more fetch quests and level grinding.

There's just been no thought put into making this game interesting.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »

All valid complaints.  I gave up on the game after about the billionth time I completed a quest only to learn that, oops, it was all for nothing and I had to go do yet another quest to accomplish the same damn thing my previous quest was supposed to.

That reminds me of that Ultima game.  So many damn quests just to do one thing.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »

This game is a good example of why I don't feel that bad when I hear about people pirating games. If they had released a demo, I would not have bought the game, but I would not approve of someone stealing it. Now, I feel like they stole from ME.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »

My wife and I have been playing this together for a few nights now, passing the controller back and forth every few minutes.  Tonight we put in Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Gwen's comment is:  "Wow, this is a lot more fun that stinky piece of s*** we were playing before!"   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

So I guess it's unanimous.   TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »

Since you are all on the hate bandwagon, here's something to enjoy.  Warning, this guy is so NSFW.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/4694-Dead-Island

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »

You probably wouldn't be picking so much of yourself out of other people's teeth if you got in the f***king car   BounceGiggle

- Paulo Coelho
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »

Since you are all on the hate bandwagon, here's something to enjoy.  Warning, this guy is so NSFW.

If anything, this guy is UNDER-emphasizing the flaws of the game.  Dead Island is complete rubbish.

*spoilers ahead*

He forgot the mention one of the worst aspects of the entire game: the character of Jin.  She's a teenage girl you rescue from zombies after her father gets killed and she is nothing but grief for you.  At one point she wants to bring food to some gang members holed up in the former police station.  Your character tells her not to, since the first time you see the gang they say, "We'll rape and murder anyone who comes near here!"  Jin sneaks off and goes there, anyway.  You have to rescue her.  This is one of the most difficult and frustrating parts of the entire game.  Do you get any thanks?  Nope.  In fact, she spends the rest of the game b***hing at you because you "take too long" to get missions done.  I hate the character and I wish you could beat her to death.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:49:45 PM by akiratubo » Logged

InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:33 PM »

Since you are all on the hate bandwagon, here's something to enjoy.  Warning, this guy is so NSFW.

If anything, this guy is UNDER-emphasizing the flaws of the game.  Dead Island is complete rubbish.

Which is strange because he loves to rip and tear games apart, even for the tiny or minor problems he may find.  I guess there was so much that he couldn't get to every single issue.

akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:25:55 PM »

One last b***h session ...

I went back and finished the game (because I paid $49.99 for it  Bluesad ).

Spoilers ahead.

At the end of the game, you go to a prison to meet a guy named White.  He seems to run the prison and you're supposed to deliver something you went on a fetch quest (ARGH) to get for him.  However, the lower levels of the prison are controlled by prisoners.  You end up doing - wait for it - fetch quests for them.  In the course of these quests, you meet prison guards.  Ok, they'll take you to White, right?  NO!  You kill them.

??????

No, seriously, wtf?  The guards seem to follow White's orders so you'd think they would take you right to him the moment you meet them.  So, yeah, the last few levels are spent murdering prison guards to help out escaped inmates.  I honestly don't know if anyone working on this game gave a damn.

And we can't forget this marvelous line of dialog:

"I ran away from my tribe to go to school, so I know that a person can only lose so much blood."

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:54:48 AM »

I paid $60.98 for it and I see it's already down to $45.99   Lookingup  I should finish it up too I suppose, but it's just so darned repetitive. 

- Paulo Coelho
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:59:57 AM »

To easy your minds off the horridness that is apparently Dead Island, I recommend some cartoonish joy-Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction....... Lookingup

yeah no.
BTM

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 07:34:48 PM »

Since you are all on the hate bandwagon, here's something to enjoy.  Warning, this guy is so NSFW.

Haven't played the game (don't own anything I could play it on, sadly) but I loved this review.  Especially the line about a "Throw small children out of a window in a slow motion" game.  Hehe!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  "Dead Island" SUCKS. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.