Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:59:16 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 UK Televison Series « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Author Topic: Top 100 UK Televison Series  (Read 38459 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »

29) My Family (2000-present): This comedy features the ups and downs of the Harper family, mainly focusing on neurotic dentist Ben Harper (Robert Lindsay), generally miserable in his work and home life, who cannot wait for his kids to move out of the house only when they get older, they still don't seem interested in doing so. Son Nick (Kris Marshall) is a bonafide idiot who cannot hold a job, daughter Janey (Daniela Denby-Ashe) is totally shallow and more worried about boys that anything else while son Michael (Gabriel Thomson) is smarter than everyone else and has little time for the rest of the family while wife Susan (Zoë Wanamaker) is largely the glue that holds the family together and basically wears the pants in the family despite being a little unconventional. While originally often quite hilarious, the show went a bit downhill after the depature of the character of Nick and replacements such as ditzy cousin Abi (Siobhan Hayes) and a naive dental assistant in Roger (Keiron Self), although the actors certainly tried, didn't really make up for the loss.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:19:46 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »

30) The Young Ones (1982-1984)

This comedy followed the adventures of four students sharing a flat in North London while attending (fictional?) Scumbag College. A mix of a traditional working class sitcom with  insane slapstick violence, surreal humor, punk music, and puppets.

Here, the boys are all sick with the flu:

Small | Large

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »

31) Bottom (1991-1995): Speaking of the Young Ones, this series also stars Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson here as Richie and Eddie whose primarily concerns are shagging and finding money, both of which they seem to never be able to accomplish. Christopher Ryan would pop up on the show as well as Hedgehog. It also starred Steven O' Connell as Spudgun. While not quite as clever and inventive as the Young Ones, the show was outrageous, offensive and very, very funny. This series was IMO far ahead of its time and was a precursor to many popular shows today only I think it pulled it off better than most of them.

Small | Large

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »

32) Coronation Street (1960-Present): Long running, in fact the longest running in the world, soap opera has been a mainstay for years and has proved popular with fans over the world. The show has gone through many changes over the years including production companies but like all soaps focuses on the ups and downs of ordinary people, in particular their love affairs. On the show, choices made by the characters do seem to resonate and set into motion all manner of other events allowing more things of interest to unfold. I have to say it's IMO the most entertaining soap on the airwaves today and I do find myself , despite not usually being a fan of soaps, watching it from time to time. The characters do seem to look and feel more like real people than in many American soaps.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:20 AM »

33. Sherlock (2010)

The most modern incarnation of the famous detective and its brilliant.
Never been a fan before, but this is great. Writen by Doctor Who writers, this brings wit, smarts, a modern London feel and an un-ending cool to a chracter thats been portrayed more than any other.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 11:11:19 PM »

34. Bob and Margaret (1998-2001): Animated British series featuring a somewhat stuffy British married couple with no kids but two overfeed, overstuffed dogs. Bob is a struggling dentist while his wife Margaret works as a Chiropodist. Their everyday lives here work surprisingly well as comedic fodder and often acts as something of a clever reflection of society as well. Initially this show I felt was brilliantly done and I enjoyed its British setting (although I think it may have actually started off as a Canadian film board short?) but once the characters moved  to Canada, the show just seemed to lose something along the way. Still a very funny series in its own right and I personally prefer it over many of its American counterparts.

Small | Large

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »

35. Jekyll (2007)
Small | Large

After watching the whole series, I really think James Nesbitt would have made an excellent Doctor Who. Maybe next time.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »

36. Green Wing (2004)

Short lived, but absolutely hilarious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »

37. Doctor Who (2005-Present): The modern Doctor Who is pretty darn solid in its own right and is fairly faithful to its predecessor. Certainly one of the better shows on the current airwaves. The Doctor for the most part may have gotten a bit younger and seems to have taken on a more superheroic quality but there were elements of that in some of the old series Doctors as well. Seems a little less serious now at times too but still a good show for the most part.

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 02:25:53 AM »

38. 2point4 Children (1991-1999): Unusual family comedy featuring the Porter family starring Belinda Lang as Bill and Gary Olsen as Ben as a couple struggling to keep their family afloat and dealing with the general weirdness of everyday life. Actually there's a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/horror genre references in this one which might well please folks here. I found this hilarious and surprisingly realistic on some levels sometimes with a rather dark edge. It actually improved in its later seasons in terms of being funny. I'm surprised this series seems largely forgotten by many these days.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 07:06:33 AM »

39: The Omega Factor (1979)

Probably the scariest TV series I have ever seen ~ a precursor to The X Files ~ involving a secret British government department's investigation into things paranormal and into the equally mysterious organization known as OMEGA. Utterly skin crawlingly frightening and unsettling, especially the episodes Visitations, St Anthony's Fire and the chilling Powers of DarknessBuggedout Buggedout BuggedoutBuggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 07:11:59 AM »

40) The Professionals* (1977 ~ 1982)

Rough tough crime / anti terrorism series dealing with an organization named CI5 and focusing chiefly on that organization's boss George Cowley and his two chief operatives Ray Doyle and the weirdly named William Andrew Phillip Bodie.  TeddyR

* A one-off parody version of this was done in the UK, entitled The Bull$hitters  TeddyR

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:42 AM »

41) The Protectors (1972 ~ 1973): I loved this series as a child, starring Robert Vaughn and Nyree Dawn Porter.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 05:05:45 AM »

42) Randall and Hopkirk [Deceased] 1969 ~ 1970.

I may have been a bit young to see this in the early 70s but I still remember this series with a lot of fondness ~ it did really creep me out a lot, especially the opening credits.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »

43) Hammer House of Horror (1980):  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Nuff said: seriously creepy and my first encounter with Hammer Films.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 UK Televison Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.