Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:45 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 UK Televison Series « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Author Topic: Top 100 UK Televison Series  (Read 38108 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »

15. The Prisoner (1967-1968): Is there any doubt that this series starring Patrick McGoohan as Number Six isn't one of the greatest TV series of all time? Number Six, a former secret agent is adbucted and taken to a secluded mystery village where someone wants him to divulge secret information. Naturally he refuses and tries again and again to find a means of escape but a seemingly unstoppable weather balloon named Rover seems to constantly get in his way.

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »

16. The Goodies - These guys were huge in Britain in the 70s, and even expanded into other media, but for some reason they got very little play on this side of the Atlantic. The stars Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie, share some roots with guys like John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Marty Feldman, and the common influences can be seen in their surreal and slightly subversive comedy, which also managed to be quite family-friendly. I'd put the Goodies' brand of humour somewhere between Monty Python and Benny Hill. Very physical, very silly, but also very clever. The Goodies also managed to combine a sitcom format with what was essentially sketch comedy.
Small | Large

Small | Large

Of course, providing uncomplicated, clean humour, they tended to get written off as a "kids' show," which they mocked with this cameo by one of their edgier contemporaries.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »

Surprised it took to number 17) to mention

Small | Large

"Monty Python's Flying Circus"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »

Surprised it took to number 17) to mention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y&feature=channel_video_title

"Monty Python's Flying Circus"

Thought about it, but I was fairly certain somebody else would do it.

---------------------
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »

Oh I'm sure it would have been mentioned eventually given that's a classic.

Hmm thinking about John Cleese, there's of course...

18) Fawlty Towers (1975-1979): Classic British comedy starring John Cleese as inept and manic hotel manager Basil Fawlty whose eccentricities make him a rather unusual choice for running an hotel. Said hotel he runs along with his controlling dragon of a wife, named Sybil (Prunella Scales) whose stern manner often cuts Basil's uncoventional plans off before he can even get them off the ground. On their staff they also have the competent maid/aid Polly (Connie Booth) whose certainly not hard on the eyes and a Spanish waiter/servant named Manuel (Andrew Sachs) whose lack of English makes for a lot of confusing but nevertheless hilarious situations. Undoubtably one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 08:59:27 PM »

19. Dave Allen at Large

For quite a while in the 80s, this aired weeknights on a Buffalo, NY station we got. They used to do Benny Hill at 10, followed by Dave Allen at 10:30. Some of us used to get into discussions at school of which show we liked better. Dave Allen's show had a nice mix of sketches and (seated) stand-up, and was definitely a product of the 70s, with Allen sitting there in a three-piece suit, smoking a cigarette, drinking a whiskey and giving that relaxed delivery almost as if he was just telling jokes at a party or something. I had the good fortune of seeing him live when he did a show in Kitchener, Ontario around 1990 or thereabouts. He was even funnier when he didn't have to tone it down for TV.
Small | Large

Small | Large

And the sketch that was always one of my favourites:
Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:01:58 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »

David Suchet was the perfect Poirot to me.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »

I'm guessing that was meant as # 20 so...

21) Keeping Up Appearances (1990-1995): Eccentric would be social climber Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) proves hard for most everyone to be around or endure for long periods of time including her addled husband Richard and her neighbours the nervous Elizabeth and Emmet, whose deathly afraid Hyacinth will insist on singing at him. Hyacinth however is ashamed to let it be known just how plain and ordinary her family really are especially her slovenly brother in-law Onslow, his lazy wife Daisy and the hyper-sexual Rose. It makes for surprisingly entertaining comedy as Hyacinth tries to keep her family from interfering with her social climbing while everyone tries to best to just plain avoid the overbearing Hyacinth.

Small | Large

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »

22) Prime Suspect

This was an excellent crime drama series done in tv movie style. Hellen Mirren was wonderful....intelligent and tough yet not without her flaws.  Thumbup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »

23) Top Gear (2002-?)
Small | Large

yeah no.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »

24) Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (1967-1968): My personal favourite of the Gerry Anderon marionation shows featuring the indestructible Captain Scarlet who alongside the rest of Spectrum's secret agents fights against the evil alien machinations of the Mysterons.

Small | Large

Raffine

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »

25) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1985) - The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1994)

To many Jeremy Brett IS Sherlock Holmes in these very faithful adaptaions of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories. David Burke is terrific as Watson as is his late 80's replacement Edward Hardwicke (son of Sir Cedgrick Hardwicke).

Small | Large

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 09:25:09 PM »

26) UFO (1970-1971): The Gerry Anderson live action series is kind of like his marionation shows only in live action. There's lots of startling futuristic imagery, some great model FX work and some dazzlingly beautiful actresses some of whom wear purple wigs. The basic premise isn't that far removed from his previous shows with a secret group on Earth, here called SHADO, battling mysterious aliens who have potentially omnious plans for humanity. The outfits and look of the series may be a bit dated now but it doesn't stop the series from being both fun and often unpredictable with sometimes surprisingly gripping stories.

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »

27) The Saint (1962-1969): This series starring Roger Moore as Simon Templer, the Saint, was and arguably still is the definitive version of this longtime character. The Saint is kind of like James Bond only without all the gadgets and outrageous villains. The Saint possesses a certain moral code and believes in doing a good deed, the right thing although he doesn't mind stealing from the villains before he has them put behind bars. The Saint is also an international rogue of sorts, suave and sophisticated and thus is regarded by one Inspector Teal as little more than a common thief meaning he must always work to stay one step ahead of others which he does with considerable wit and charm. The series blends together mystery, adventure, intrigue and comedy.

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »

28. Scrapheap Challenge

One of the greatest shows ever for gearheads, geeks and creative types in general. Interesting, inspiring, funny. Robert "Kryten" Llewellyn was a great host, and Cathy Rogers was smoking hot. Used to watch this all the time back when TLC carried it in North America (back when TLC had stuff worth watching). Didn't care for the American version, but loved the original British show.
Small | Large

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Top 100 UK Televison Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.