Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:41:06 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Netflix splitting into two companies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Netflix splitting into two companies  (Read 3674 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 19, 2011, 08:00:45 AM »

So Netflix will now be the streaming service, and Qwikster will be the DVD rental company.  They will also be renting video games in the future.

http://www.screened.com/news/netflix-splits-itself-in-two-dvd-by-mail-service-renamed-qwikster-adds-games/2898/

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »

And I was just enjoying the other recent split :( I will say, renting video games will be a plus even though I dont play video games. Does anyone have a date when they're gonna split?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:07:37 AM by Nightowl » Logged

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »

I'm kind of uncool with what Netflix is becomming.  All these price hikes and sh!t are p!ssing me off.  I've opted to go streaming only.  Mark my words, if stuff like this nonsense keeps up the mom and pop video store will return to it's former glory.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:48:44 AM by DS » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »

Why? Just why? Netflix was going great, then made a few d!ckish moves, and now are going the wrong way. Again, I ask, Why?

yeah no.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »

Well, it doesn't really affect me. Netflix doesn't rent DVDs out to Canadians (and the streaming selection sucks to the point that I really only use the service to watch documentaries and the few older gems they have since they don't seem to carry new releases). If they decide to be kind to us Canucks and let us rent video games, I'll be happy. With Blockbuster going under and pretty much every other brick-and-mortar store gone, there really isn't anywhere to rent games anymore and I sure as heck am not paying $60-70 to try out a new game.
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »

I'm kind of split on this subject.  I'm not enjoying it but can see that there is some possibility for expansion.  Would like to see something done prior to their losing of the contract with Starz.  Newer movies streaming and games would make it worth it for me.  However, I am waiting to see how it pans out.  Right now, not sounding very good. 

Ah, the good old days.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 12:03:22 AM »

Wal-Mart tends to sell titles that have been out for a while more in the $20-30 range. I always wait for the price to drop before I buy a game. I've learned too numerous DVDs will eventually end up in the $5 bin, some that when new sold for 20+ bucks.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »

I never bothered with Netflix before and now that it seems like they're intent on committing commercial suicide, this certainly doesn't seem like the time to get on board.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

I don't see any new changes happening except for a name change.  It's not affecting me one way or another right now.

When Netflix first launched its streaming service I knew it was too good a deal to last.  All the DVDs and all the streaming content you want for less than $10/month?  It was too good to be true, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.  I expect more price increases to come, and it will still be a bargain.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

Small | Large

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »

Well Netflix seemed to have gotten greedy.

Oh well I never had it in the first place. Ill just stick to buying and renting  TeddyR

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 03:32:27 AM »

Netflix used to be such a friendly upstart company. The entirety of the reason to subscribe to Netflix was because they had a huge variety of films that you could rent. They weren't like Blockbuster. If you wanted to see some ridiculous '70s garbage, they could queue it up for you. They didn't have to spend shelf space pushing the latest garbage. The shelf space was now virtual, the shelf space wasn't an issue. And they killed Blockbuster, which was always a horrible company.

But somewhere along the line they got infected with a nasty strain of middle-management. "The people will like what we tell them to like!" Netflix has become so obsessed with streaming movies that they are willing to jettison the entire reason they exist.

Maybe they can make more money by turning to a streaming only model. But you know what? That model is destined to fail. We're in a transition mode for entertainment. Netflix may pride itself now for being on the forefront of streaming media, but that field will very, very quickly find itself clustered. As I speak I can watch movies on Hulu or Amazon. Netflix is very quickly going to find out what the meaning of competition really is. And once cable companies figure out this whole internet thing Netflix will go down the tubes. I've been a loyal Netflix subscriber for years, but they show no interest in my opinion.

I have no loyalty, I just want to watch the movies I want to watch. The only reason I'm not downloading it all for free is because I like your company. Get rid of that? Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:33:31 PM by Mofo Rising » Logged

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »

The only reason I'm not downloading it all for free is because I like your company. Get rid of that? Good luck.

There's truth in that.  I could download and relatively easily watch any movie for free I wanted to.  I don't do it because I do want to support the industry and I like the convenience and quality for a fair price I get with services like NetFlix.  And they're starting to take both of those things away from me.  Granted that I'm not the average netflix consumer (most on this forum probably aren't) but it's still frustrating. 

They're really jumping the gun on this, and the degree to which they raised prices was ridiculous when considering the amount of content I watch via NetFlix lately.  I may jump ship...  Haven't decided yet.  But with the way DVD prices are now, for $27ish a month (what my fee is now) I could buy a movie or two a week and be spending about the same, and I'd end up with a nice DVD selection if I ever stop.  Oh yeah, and the profit margin for the studios/labels is higher on those DVDs than on the rentals from NetFlix, and they're the ones I really want to have my money anyway.  Blah.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Netflix splitting into two companies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.