Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:09:07 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CITY OF GOD (Cidade de Deus) (2002) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CITY OF GOD (Cidade de Deus) (2002)  (Read 1938 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:44 AM »

Small | Large

Here's an excellent, gritty movie about crime in one of Brazil's most infamous favelas (slums).  The movie follows several youths who grow up in a crime-ridden environment.  Some rise to great power in the local underworld, others try to live "straight" lives, others meet tragic ends.  An unflinching 2 hours and 10 minutes.  In Portuguese with English subtitles.  Major thumbs up.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:16:48 AM »

I haven't seen the sequel but City of God is a fantastic film [I've heard so-so things about the sequel].  A must see in my opinion.  I can't remember but I seem to recall that it was based loosely on a true story?  May be mixing my films up there.  In any case City of God is one of those films that seem to capture the essence of the world it inhabits, in this case the slums of Rio.  Man life must be crazy in those places.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Burgomaster

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:47 AM »

I can't remember but I seem to recall that it was based loosely on a true story?  In any case City of God is one of those films that seem to capture the essence of the world it inhabits, in this case the slums of Rio.  Man life must be crazy in those places.

Yes, it is based on a true story told by the photographer character in the movie who became a photographer in real life.  I have been to Rio and one of the things I told everyone after I came home was how the beach area (which you always see on postcards and in movies) is beautiful, but the streets behind the hotels are slums.  Apparently, it isn't quite as dangerous now as it was in the 1960s through 1980s (the time period when the film takes place).  But you still wouldn't want to wander away from the hotel zone at night.  The guy at the front desk of our hotel told us if we went to the beach we should stay where there were large groups of people.  Apparently, if you go to the less populated areas of the beach criminals will rush you, grab all your valuables, and run away into the streets.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »

this is excellent, and what really surpirsed me aobut it besides being based on real events was the lack of name actors  proving that a good compelling story and always beat out name talent for a good movie always

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »

this is excellent, and what really surpirsed me aobut it besides being based on real events was the lack of name actors  proving that a good compelling story and always beat out name talent for a good movie always

Actually, my wife (who is Brazilian) said a couple of the people in this movie are famous actors in Brazil.  But we wouldn't know them here.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CITY OF GOD (Cidade de Deus) (2002) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.