Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:38:18 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rate the Mel Brooks Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rate the Mel Brooks Movies  (Read 3935 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »

Instead of a poll, I thought it might be more interesting to rate his body of work, as I've seen every film he's ever made, and I imagine many members have seen a good number of them. Below is his entire list of films that he has directed/written, listed in order of my own preference from most to least favorite. I thought rating would be more fun than a poll because it's so difficult (for me at least) to pick two or three favorites when I love so many of them. I'm looking forward to responses. You can just leave out the ones you haven't seen.

1) Young Frankenstein (1974) - will always be my favorite, but there are so many that come very close
2) Blazing Saddles (1974) - will probably be number one for most
3) The Producers (1968) - This and the next two are more like a 3-way tie
4) High Anxiety (1977) - Great even if you're not a big Hitchcock fan, even better if you are
5) History of the World, Part 1 (1981) - So much variety in this one it's impossible to get bored
6) Silent Movie (1976) - Not his best known, but a great movie
7) Spaceballs (1987) - You can't go wrong with this classic
8) Life Stinks (1991) - Not his greatest, but I do like it better than the rest below
9) The Twelve Chairs (1970) - I have seen it, but it's been a while and I remember liking it, but don't remember enough to rate it higher
10) Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) - Now we start getting to the ones I'm not too fond of. A few good bits, but Mel is well past his prime on this one
11) Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) - Sorry, didn't care for this one. Probably seemed like a good idea Leslie Neilsen in a Mel Brooks movie, but ended up not working for me. But I still tip my cap to Mr. Brooks, always.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »

1) Young Frankenstein - great film, very funny. Great stuff from Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle.
2) High Anxiety- the Hitchcock parody. Lots of fun.
3) Blazing Saddles- really solid and frequently funny.
4) History of the World, Part 1 - some clever bits, some really funny.
5) Spaceballs - fun Star Wars parody. Gets perhaps a bit too silly at times.
6) Life Stinks - I enjoyed it much than I expected I would but was still slightly disappointed.
7) Robin Hood, Men in Tights - yeah can't recall much about this only I recall it being very silly but not that funny.

That's all I've seen so far.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:09:42 PM »

1 Blazing Saddles
2 Robin Hood: Men in Tights
3 Young Frankenstein
4 High Anxiety
5 Spaceballs
6 Dracula: Dead and Loving It
7 The Producers  - I hated this, I didn't laugh once

I haven't seen the rest.....yet

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »

Blazing Saddles
The Producers
Young Frankenstein
Silent Movie
High Anxiety
History of the World, Part 1
Spaceballs
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:29:01 AM »

Blazing Saddles
History of the World, Part 1
Young Frankenstein
The Producers
Space Balls
Robin Hood Men in Tights
Life Stinks
That Dracula One

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:23 AM »

1)  Spaceballs - absolutely hilarious parody of Star Wars.
2)  Young Frankenstein - though it makes it impossible for me to take the original movies seriously now, this not only was quite funny but the characters were very engaging as well.
3)  Blazing Saddles - I can barely remember this one.  It started out funny but got old really quick.
LAST)  History of the World.  Watched as much as I could take, it was painfully un-funny to me.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »

The Producers
Young Frankenstein
Spaceballs
Robin Hood Men in Tights
High Anxiety
Silent Movie

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

Inoticed there's not much love in here for TO BE OR NOT TO BE, which got some critical acclaim and Oscar nominations.  I haven't seen it yet, but it's in my Netflix queue.

My favorites are YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and BLAZING SADDLES.  Most of his others are pretty interchangeable in 3rd place and beyond.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
voltron

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »

Not too familiar with Brooks' films, but Dracula...was quite painful. My girlfriend and I discussed walking out on it, but we stayed anyway.  Question

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »

Not too familiar with Brooks' films, but Dracula...was quite painful. My girlfriend and I discussed walking out on it, but we stayed anyway.  Question

Sorry to hear about that. Even if end up not liking Mel Brooks movies, that one is NOT an indicator of his body of work.

Do you like the old Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff kind of horror movies? If so, you should definitely check out Young Frankenstein. In my opinion, it is arguably the best horror spoof ever made.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about that. Even if end up not liking Mel Brooks movies, that one is NOT an indicator of his body of work.

Do you like the old Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff kind of horror movies? If so, you should definitely check out Young Frankenstein. In my opinion, it is arguably the best horror spoof ever made.

I saw YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN about 3 or 4 times in the theater and numerous times since then.  I agree with you.  I cannot think of a better horror spoof.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
voltron

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »

I did see Spaceballs back in the day, ehhh...really didn't do too much for me even back then when I was an impressionable kid. I do enjoy the old Bela and Boris films so I will keep Young Frankenstein in mind, thx.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:01:17 PM »

I did see Spaceballs back in the day, ehhh...really didn't do too much for me even back then when I was an impressionable kid. I do enjoy the old Bela and Boris films so I will keep Young Frankenstein in mind, thx.

Perfectly fair. I like Spaceballs, but I realize that this was past Brooks' prime, and not in the same company as films like Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Slient Movie, or High Anxiety, the stuff he did in the 70s. Keep in mind that the talent he worked with in those films were of a much different caliber as well. I mean, Gean Wilder, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman, Richard Pryor, Dom Deluise, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn, Peter Boyle? Not that he didn't have some talented people in his later movies, but compared to the pool of talent he worked with in the 70's they're not even in the same league.

I'd say give Young Frankenstein a try and see where it goes.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »

I'd rank the ones I've seen this way:

EXCELLENT

1. The Producers
2. Young Frankenstein
3. Blazing Saddles

SPOTTY BUT GOOD

4. History of the World

OK

5. Spaceballs

REALLY, REALLY BAD

6. Robin Hood: Men in Tights

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
66Crush
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »

Number One is always gonna be "Blazzing Saddles" I friggin' love that movie. It couldn't be made today without people calling it racist (even though it shows that racist are idiots). I think it's a great example of taking the most taboo subjects and just making them out and out hillarious! You gotta love that campfire scene. The whole cast is amazing and Mel Brooks really out did himself. "Young Frankenstein" is great too, but it ranks 2nd to "BS!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rate the Mel Brooks Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.